Topic: Sim Opening and Closing

As Michael Aker is back from LOA, I have reactivated The (In)Human Dilemma: A Superpowers, Heroes, and Villains Sim.

- GC

Re: Sim Opening and Closing

Yay!

As Michael Aker has gone AWOL, I've had to close that sim again.

I'm also closing Set Europe Ablaze by my own decision. I also think we'll be losing USS Repulse in the next few days.

Silent

Yes, please close the Repulse. No activity at all there since my last post nearly a week ago. It's time to call it.

If interest ever returns for a ST sim, I'd ask that they not use the Repulse or its (NPC) crew without consulting me first - I've developed a lot of details around the Repulse and her crew, and use it for table top gaming. It's kind of my 'baby'. Of course the PCs are property of the players who played them, so the PCs may transfer to new assignments however they (the players) wish.

-Jason

http://www.phoenix-rp.com/img/pips/4.png http://oi60.tinypic.com/5otabo.jpg

Thumbs up +1 Thumbs down

I have made the decision to remove Krista Bäckman as SL of End of Peace for her persistently low activity levels on her own sim.

This sim is accordingly closed until further notice. If someone else wishes to take over the running of this sim, or the membership decides by a motion that Krista should get her post back, then I will reopen it.

I don't like closing sims and there was an interesting concept here, but the execution has been woefully lacking.

- Silent Hunter

SGB-HQ is closed due to a lack of activity and the prolonged LOA of its Sim Leader, who has agreed to the closure.

- GC

It's a shame, but you've made a good call, Silent, while Anna's RL is taxing.

Ash

Thumbs up Thumbs down

It is with great sadness that I must announce the closure of AW75, after Osprey felt he could no longer continue with the sim. It was the strongest sim on our site for its short life and I hope that someday, we will be able to reopen it.

- GC

Bummer. sad

Thumbs up +1 Thumbs down

I ask that AW75 not be used/run by anyone else.

I honestly went too ambitious with the setting and my ability to flesh out the basics was outstripped by the activity.

Sorry about this, but I do not think I could have kept up.

Thumbs up Thumbs down

i dont' know  how hard it really is to be a GM, but i try to be allways helpful, and keep my rage level down when something doesn't work as i planned
thanks to the makeshift nature of the ruleset in P&M and the GM's there i' also used to loooong waiting times (some campaignes didn't get updates over months !) so if you shift your post output to one or two per month to keep the game going and your stress level low, i would be more then happy

anyway, we meet again at Fighter Ops as soon as i have my Character fleshed out ...

-Spart

Armored with faith, armed with knowledge, blessed with wrath.
Jennifer Roth-Mud&Mercs|Felix Winter-Wing Commander|Jochen Baumann-Covert-81|Neera Anzari-Area 88 Waving Wings|Eric O'brien-Area 88 Crimson Skies|Torsten Winkler-Rainbow Six

Thumbs up +1 Thumbs down

I wonder if maximum posting might be worth considering, as well as minimum? To keep a sim from being too fastpaced in cases like this where it racing along can be a bad thing? As in, have an AWOL policy like usual (eg need to post once a month) but keep players limited too (eg to no more than two posts a month)?

Ash

Thumbs up Thumbs down

Hm...that may be worth considering for any and all sims where GMs have limited online time...

~Robert

http://i41.tinypic.com/2q2e0ig.png

Thumbs up +1 Thumbs down

And maybe for other sims where a player has limited time and the others on the sim don't mind accomodating them. I think I might actually do that with some of my sims, if we agree it's a good thing. We'd want to note in the SSRs which sims were doing this, of course, because I guess they'd be perpetually 'yellow' or even 'red' (I suppose depending on the number of players).

Ash

Thumbs up +1 Thumbs down

I didn't need anything THAT drastic (1-2 posts a month), more like a minimum of one post a week and perhaps a cap of one post a day. Thing is right now, my limits are 0/0 as right now RL has cut off my creativity needed for this. I'm drawing off of old notes even for a TT I play and I'm getting thin on that too.

If I run something again it won't be as ambitious as AW75, and probably drawing off of already existing source material.

When I looked at the material I needed for AW75 piling up but almost nothing done because I've been having other things happening in my life, well, at a point I had to realize that I am not doing my players any service letting a sim limp.

Thumbs up Thumbs down

I don't think we want to have a general principle of "capping" the number of posts - it seems to me an arbitrary limit on creativity. If an SL wants to have a house rule of "players may make no more than 3 IC posts per character per day" or similar then they can do that, but I would argue very strongly against having a policy of it.

-Euan

Well in the instance of players maybe but in the instance of a GM who has limited ability to respond to posts and catch up on reading posts I don't agree that it's arbitrary. Also I would strongly agree against having a policy on such a thing, but as I understand it what we're really saying is it's something for GMs/SLs to factor into their house rules, no need for a site-wide policy.

~Robert

Thumbs up Thumbs down

Yeah, I don't think anyone's suggesting a sitewide policy. My suggestion in post 12 was very much just floating an idea for a house rule for some sims where capping posts might be appropriate and for the good of the players and sim.

Ash

Thumbs up Thumbs down

Osprey wrote:

If I run something again it won't be as ambitious as AW75, and probably drawing off of already existing source material.

I understand your position. I have a whole folder full of notes for Fighter Ops - and that's a campaign based around RL!

Silent

I think the same thing can be achieved without capping. If the GM can only post once a day (or once every few days), one of two things will happen:
1) The players will wait for GM input.
or
2) The players will continue to post (ie, chatting in character or however), which only helps with the sim.

I don't see either of these as a bad thing. The only time #2 could get bad is if stuff starts happening too quickly for others who can't post as often, in which case the SL/GM needs to step in and say "Hey people, slow down a bit". That doesn't mean post less, it just means not to DO so much in  your posts.

-Jason

Thumbs up +1 Thumbs down

Jason Andersen wrote:

The only time #2 could get bad is if stuff starts happening too quickly for others who can't post as often

#2 can also be bad if the players write the GM a novel in their absence. Being dyslexic, I can definitely feel for putting a max on posting if I couldn't dedicate much time to the sim I'm GM'ing and came back to anything over 10 paragraphs (I literally read at a rate of 1 page every 6 minutes, give or take depending on the size ratio of font to page - I almost gave up on George R. R. Martin's Song of Ice and Fire novels because of how slowly I read compounded on how slow paced his writing is), but then not everyone shares my problems so it could very well just be me.

~Robert

Thumbs up +1 Thumbs down

Silent Hunter wrote:
Osprey wrote:

I understand your position. I have a whole folder full of notes for Fighter Ops - and that's a campaign based around RL!

Silent

I got 8 books, and 8 DVDs worth of material.  big_smile

Will stay mum about it, waiting till spring. Ask again what I am scheming in April. wink

Thumbs up +1 Thumbs down

Osprey wrote:
Silent Hunter wrote:
Osprey wrote:

Silent

I got 8 books, and 8 DVDs worth of material.  big_smile

Will stay mum about it, waiting till spring. Ask again what I am scheming in April. wink

3 of the DVD's are not Yukikaze as we all know
what kind of books do you use (that's if i'm allowed to ask these kind of background questions)

sometimes i still have this "first day in roleplay"-feeling

Armored with faith, armed with knowledge, blessed with wrath.
Jennifer Roth-Mud&Mercs|Felix Winter-Wing Commander|Jochen Baumann-Covert-81|Neera Anzari-Area 88 Waving Wings|Eric O'brien-Area 88 Crimson Skies|Torsten Winkler-Rainbow Six

Thumbs up +1 Thumbs down

Spart, don't we all! :-D

Osprey, that's so encouraging to hear!

I think on balance I agree with Jason that there are plenty of steps an SL can take steps short of capping activity, but there are situations where an SL might decide to limit maximum number of posts out of consideration for less active players. That should probably be rare, though. I'd suggest that generally activity is a good thing, better than a forum that might appear to non-members to be inactive.

Ash

Last edited by Ash Leighton Plom (2013-02-07 17:51:34)

Thumbs up Thumbs down

Spart: Nothing to do with planes this time... maybe...  big_smile

Ash: I think with a future thread I might just ask that discretion is used in the activity of the members of a sim.

Thumbs up Thumbs down