Topic: 2012 Awards

Introduction

Once again, it's taken 6 months of deliberation, but I am honoured to be able to announce the winners of the 2012 Phoenix Awards!

I'd like to start by thanking the members of this great community for giving the committee such an interesting and enjoyable task weighing some phenomenal merits off and (eventually) coming to a decision for each category.

Nominees

The nominees for each categories are as follows:

Player of the Year (PotY)

Kevin Diamond
Silent Hunter
Jason Andersen
Robert Longtin
Mischa Brendel
James M
Amanda Bond
Dondi 'dratliff' Ratliff
Misty Wilson
Osprey
Ash Leighton Plom

Sim of the Year (SotY)

Greenleaf Skyplex
The West Star
Dni Infinite Ages
Middle Earth: Fourth Age
Umbra

Sim Leader/ASL of the Year (SLotY)

Paul 'pauljericho' Baker
Kevin 'Zuzutoo' Diamond
Mischa Brendel
Robert Longtin

GM of the Year (GMotY)

Silent Hunter
Jason Andersen
Robert Longtin
Kevin 'Zuzutoo' Diamond
Nick Buchanan
Paul 'pauljericho' Baker

Newcomer of the Year (NCotY)

Wandrew
Irykyl
wanderer
Mike Miller
Osprey
Raj
Spart
Wild Joker
Dangerous Cook

After quite a lot of work we shortlisted finalists for each category and then debated (argued, sometimes used weapons) to decide who came out ahead of the others.

Before I announce the winners, I'd like to give special mention to the members and sims who came close to an award this year and made our job as the awarding committee difficult and at the same time very engaging indeed!

Special Mentions

PotY

Amanda Bond's roleplay, for example her Hobbit character Celadine in the Middle Earth sim and Naboo Ambassador Sulmare on the West Star, was deemed especially noteworthy, as were Kevin 'Zuzutoo' Diamond's characters (from his Wookiee Kal on the Triple Zero to Myfanwy in Beyond the Veil of Truth), Robert 'RLongtin' Longtin's ability to boss any character concept he turns his hand to (from Voodoo Houngan Menard on the Elemental to investigative Security Head of Department Dren Quinok on the West Star) deserves very special note, Dondi 'dratliff' Ratliff's Shadra (Accipiter), Rhiannon (BtVoT), Shadai (Odyssey), and Celebathian (Middle Earth) are all good characterisations which she plays convincingly and compellingly, Mischa Brendel's Firefly sim characters and work opening the TLJ sim deserve note, as does James M for his sheer enthusiasm, and Silent Hunter for his genre-spanning commitment.

SotY

Two sims deserve particular mention, namely Middle Earth: Fourth Age where the committee assert that the post quality is in the top class of Phoenix with exceptional levels of research and wording going into truly immersive posts, and Dni Infinite Ages - a complex sim which is rich, deep, wonderfully sim'ed by GM and player alike and an asset for our community. These sims are a joy to read.

SLotY

Kevin, who kept Greenleaf thriving during the GM's three-month absence last year, Mischa Brendel for the Odyssey and especially The Longest Journey, which has become very successful in a short space of time, and Silent Hunter for his aptitude at identifying potential sim environments and running them.

GMotY

Silent Hunter for all the background work he provides, for example in Fighter Ops, Kingdom for a Stage, and in the many sims he GMs deserves especial mention, and the committee also wanted to recognise Kevin's work in the Greenleaf sim as "demiGM", and Nick Buchanan for his work on the West Star, a murder mystery in a well-realised Star Wars setting, with plot twists, opportunities for blaster combat, hand-to-hand, stand-offs, intrigue, tension, engineering challenges, the Force, likeable and hateable NPCs, a sense of the ship as a living environment with servicepeople going about doing their jobs, etc..

NCotY

Mike Miller, although technically returning to us rather than a literal new arrival deserves special mention in this category; his character Wyatt in The Elemental, and Richard in D'ni are two great examples of Mike's abilities and his return to us was one of my highlights of last year, and likewise Raj, another AJJE survivor, for his unique and interesting character Irina in Greenleaf and what she brings to the plot, and finally Osprey for his notable creativity and involvement.

Now, with those honourable mentions noted, I will announce the winners...

Thumbs up +1 Thumbs down

Re: 2012 Awards

http://i49.tinypic.com/21ykg7.jpg
PotY: Jason Andersen

For his characters from the Marshal on Greenleaf, Fiona and Jonathan in Cydonia, Mei Ling on the Ele, Fuller (the quintessential Star Wars rogue who sets the tone on the Triple Zero), Lady Miynn the Elf handmaiden, the Merlin-esque Ailanthus in Forgotten Realms, etc. etc. We found this category possibly the hottest contested as there were so many brilliant nominees, but after looking over the entire site we eventually settled on Jason for this award!

http://oi42.tinypic.com/eknk28.jpg
SotY: Greenleaf Skyplex

So good, TWO other sims have come to join it ;-)

The Greenleaf Skyplex sim started careening along after the bombing of a nightclub on the space station, but has been a fast-paced and popular role-play environment since it opened. Congratulations Greenleaf!

http://oi39.tinypic.com/2e0ilvd.jpg
SLotY: Robert 'RLongtin' Longtin

His organisational/administrative skills in the sims he Leads and serves as Assistant Sim Leader on are second to none, and his dedication to his players and their enjoyment is exemplary, a standard the rest of us can learn from. Well done, Robert!

http://oi39.tinypic.com/2u8kxnc.jpg
GMotY: Robert 'RLongtin' Longtin

For his commitment to making the worlds of the D'ni and The Matrix come to life through meticulous background research, as well as the incredible depth and effort he has put in to the Forgotten Realms sim's rules and rolls set. Very well deserved, Robert!

NCotY: Brandon L (formerly Irykyl)

Brandon has proven such a find! Personally I especially like his character Jander in the Forgotten Realms sim, but the way he's taken so naturally to the whole site and community, and his contributions to both (for instance he regularly posts on the facebook group) has been better than textbook. Brandon you are very visibly an asset to our community and I am delighted to give you this award!

Thumbs up +2 Thumbs down

I believe that this is now the appropriate time for me to award my first Friend of Phoenix award.

I've got to say that this has been a great year for the site. We have opened a number of new sims, had a large number of new players arrive and generally had an excellent RPing time all round, capped with our winning of no less than five prizes in the Simulation Cup of 2012. Our sims are going great guns and I am sure that this will continue. Problems have been next to non-existent and we continue to be a thriving elected democracy, which is more than you can for many a simming site... especially the democracy part.

Like my predecessor did, I'm going to go through a 'list of honours' for the site, covering just some of the people who have stood out in this particular term.

New starters

Brandon Lovell and Osprey have proven to be vital new talent in the simming field here. Brandon's recruiting has been second to none for Phoenix and Osprey's got some very clear RP talent. I can see either of them on day sitting in my virtual chair as General Coordinator.

We've had a number of newbies arrive via the Wing Commander CIC and they've been superb to a Terran, especially Dangerous Cook and kcsabers.

Active citizens

Jason Andersen, the former 'Contender' for this site (I sincerely hope that we get this position filled in the upcoming elections... much as I would like to run unopposed, a formal challenger would help me) has been a superb RPer in addition to providing great ideas and technical support.

Mischa Brendel, for actually getting a newsletter up and running, deserves strong kudos.

Euan Reid, while very busy in RL, manages to keep things going on the tech front.

Kevin Diamond, my esteemed deputy, is again excellent; I've played off against him in one more than one occasion in RPs and I hope that Scarlett doesn't sue Wallenstein.

While I've not had as much of an RPing experience with her, Ash's able partner and consort, Deborah Leighton Plom, continues to be of excellent service to our community.

Finally, there is Ash himself. He awarded me the first Friend of Phoenix award last year and I seriously considered reciprocating in with this one. Our General Coordinator Emeritus (and if he is OK with it, I can make that title official) is a superb friend, guide and jolly good chap. Please do not take your near miss as a snub, because it isn't.

Friend of Phoenix

He runs our elections, he plays in a great many sims and he comes up with great ideas, but it is his development of a special RP system for Forgotten Realms that just pips him over the edge for this award. Long may that sim continue.

I am honoured to pronounce Robert 'RLongtin' Longtin as Friend of Phoenix.

Silent Hunter
General Coordinator
Phoenix Roleplaying
14 June 2013

Last edited by Silent Hunter (2013-07-24 16:33:22)

Congratulations to everyone who was awarded! Ash offered to post this for me since I was receiving one of the awards, so thank you to Ash. Also a big thanks to Robert, who served as a committee member as well. The two of you had great insight, brought up points I hadn't considered, and were invaluable in getting this done. I should make an "Awards Committee" badge for you guys! smile

The deliberations WERE difficult, and we argued back and forth (politely) many times to narrow down to a single person. Thanks to you both for your perseverance to this long process!

Also congrats to Robert for receiving the Friend of Phoenix award. I agree with everything Silent said, about Robert and those who were given honorable mention!

Now that the awards are given, I should probably give a quick post-mortem, and note why we were again 6 months late getting these awards out (well, 4 1/2 or so, but still): When I considered who was going to sit on the committee this year, I has a long list of criteria - knowledge of most of the player base, proven objectivity, trustworthiness, etc. But most of all, I wanted people who were active. Last year my committee (who are awesome, by the way) unfortunately had real life issues that made the decision making process become long and drawn out. At the time I had selected them, Ash and Robert were here daily (or near daily), and it seemed that the person who would limit how fast this would move was myself. Unfortunately, soon after we started with deliberations, real life caught up to Robert and he had to take extended LOA. This happens, and I want to be clear I don't hold Robert responsible for the delays at all. I had to make the decision - try to find a replacement or stay with the current committee. I chose to stay with the committee we had. I'm glad that I did, because we all know Ash and Robert bring awesome ideas and great stability to our community. I'll also say that there were times when I wasn't able to turn things around as quickly as I would have liked. The committee waited on me to compile results at various times. The result of all of this is, considering feedback from both Ash and Robert, we'll likely change how we do awards in the future so they can be turned around in a more timely fashion. I'll be opening that discussion in a different thread, as this one is meant to celebrate those who won awards.

Congrats again to everyone!

-Jason

http://www.phoenix-rp.com/img/pips/4.png http://oi60.tinypic.com/5otabo.jpg

Thumbs up +1 Thumbs down

Congrats to all.

http://talesoftheunicorn.net/rhiannonsm.png|
Rhiannon

Thumbs up +1 Thumbs down

Well chosen across the board. Congratulations to all the winners and runners up!

Jason Andersen wrote:

Also congrats to Robert for receiving the Friend of Phoenix award. I agree with everything Silent said, about Robert and those who were given honorable mention!

Quoting this from Jason so as to not quote excessively from Silent's post, which I also found myself nodding along with in agreement and even "Yes," outloud to a number of times. :-) Congratulations to Robert, and to the others named!

Ash

Thumbs up Thumbs down

Congratulations to all the winners, all very well deserved and thanks very much for the kind words Ash!

-Mike

http://oi41.tinypic.com/2q2e0ig.jpg

Thumbs up +1 Thumbs down

Many thanks for thinking of our little Skyplex. I am proud of everyone that is keeping that environment dynamic and interesting.

Congratulations to all the winners and to every person nominated. We are a group with a depth of talent that makes decisions like this quite difficult. May we all outdo ourselves this next year!

-Kevin

I would just like to thank the Academy...

-BL

Why did Suzy fall out of the swing?  Because she had no arms.
Knock, knock. Who's there?
Not Suzy

Thumbs up +2 Thumbs down

Odd that this wasn't announced whatsoever when these were handed out. Also Silent, you have a PM coming. Finally, I am impressed by the sheer number of people considered for such few awards this year. It's going to be a harder hill to climb next year.

Oh, and why hasn't there been a Character of the Year considered? Although I wager there is a huge pool for that too.  big_smile

Last edited by Osprey (2013-07-24 10:22:05)

Thumbs up +2 Thumbs down

Well, it was announced in that it was posted to the Awards forums. But, yes, we didn't have a top of page announcement, because just after this the EVC announcement went up, then the GC/TC elections, which both were considered more important then the Awards announcement. It was in the newsletter, so besides that and the post here, what other announcement would you like to see, Osprey?

Hmm.. Character of the Year. Not sure how I feel about that one. What would the criteria be? How could someone win Character of the Year but not Player of the Year? Are we simply judging the character concept and not the actual play of that character?

Please don't take my questions as dismissing the ideas, I'm just keen on fleshing them out more with further discussion. Keep the ideas coming!

-Jason

Thumbs up +1 Thumbs down

It was also posted on the blog; which is worth subscribing to (the head writer says).

Okay so I'm clueless then. I thought I'd just bring up the fact that somehow I didn't find out for over a month, and that my only news came from the news letter.

Thumbs up Thumbs down

Well, that is the point of the newsletter, right? To deliver news you may otherwise have missed? That means it's doing its job! big_smile

Thumbs up +1 Thumbs down

Yeah, in Osprey's defence - and speaking as a member of the committee - the announcement wouldn't have overlapped with the Coordinator elections if we'd issued the awards in c. January, which is really when they're due. And they could have had a nice shiny attention-grabbing announcement at the top. And as standard practice, I suggest all nominees be emailed when the awards are posted, like with the elections, maybe even every player.

Ash

Thumbs up Thumbs down

We can easily do that - just use the broadcast email system I use for the newsletter email.

Silent

Last edited by Silent Hunter (2013-08-04 19:15:51)

It was just a very difficult time in general I feel, the newsletter going 2 months before publication (as it was a double-issue), we had lost Jason and Euan for that time which led to the announcements not getting changed, and then as Ash mentioned we had the elections going on as well - it was overall a difficult time to spread the word so the posts in the forums were at that time deeded sufficient (considering they merited 8 days of "new posts" I didn't actually think anyone could have missed it).

~Robert

http://i41.tinypic.com/2q2e0ig.png

Thumbs up Thumbs down

A month and nearly three weeks later...

I had been avoiding posting here for some time because I was trying very unsuccessfully to form the words to make an acceptance speech of sorts. Being a part of the awards committee, I was pretty against the notion of my receiving any awards. I argued against the same topic the year prior and continued to do so this year even against Jason and Ash during our meetings. So you can imagine how ungraceful I have felt in trying to write an acceptance for these awards. Forgive me for taking so long to do so, I had been trying ever since to try to find the words and have finally decided that they will never come to me so I had better just give an acceptance speech now and stop delaying.

I still don't quite know how to feel about actually being the recipient of two of the 2012 awards. I am incredibly honored by the kind words said by both Ash and Jason despite the moral dilemma I found myself in. I accept their praise as an indication that I must have done something right but I feel as though my responsibility was to see what others were doing right so please also forgive my blindness to my own actions of 2012 that saw me both nominated for and the recipient of the SL of the Year and GM of the Year awards.

I guess it wouldn't be an acceptance speech if I never got around to thanking people. I'd like to start by thanking Silent who surprised me by honoring me with the Friend of Phoenix award for the year of 2012. Being the recipient of this award made it several times easier to accept the fact that Jason and Ash may have been right to insist that I deserved such recognition for the annual awards. That said I'd like to thank Jason and Ash for not only for their praise but their sincerity that went with it.

The only other people I feel indebted to are those who I felt were more deserving than I (especially after considering the input of both Jason and Ash). Mischa Brendel and Kevin Diamond, I felt you both were better candidates for the sim leader of the year than I, so I feel that it deserves mentioning that you both have done sterling work in The Odyssey and Greenleaf Skyplex respectively which has really drawn my attention to you two as candidates for that award. For GM of the Year, Nick Buchanan and Paul Baker for The West Star and The Jericho respectively I also felt strongly were better candidates for GM of the year than I.

My inner potential as a simmer, particularly my work as an SL and GM would mean little if not for my awesome players in the sims I SL and GM. Thank you all.

All that said, I'm really grateful to have such an amazing community who make Phoenix Roleplaying such a great place to sim - without you we wouldn't have so much awesome simming and so much fun. I will cherish the memories, and I look forward to yet another wonderful year with you all.  smile

~Robert

http://i41.tinypic.com/2q2e0ig.png

Thumbs up +6 Thumbs down

Thank you for the kind words, Robert. But I still feel that the rewards you received are well-deserved! smile

-Mischa

http://i13.photobucket.com/albums/a281/hollyzuzu/6bd9dace-1d9f-469e-b069-b872b1d826dd_zpswfifvw2x.jpg

Thumbs up +2 Thumbs down

*claps Robert's acceptance speech*

Very nice words from an exceptional member of our community.  smile

Deborah

Thumbs up +3 Thumbs down

I know I've touched on this here and/or elsewhere, but let me make it clear that next year no one will be on the committee (or at least, discussing specific awards) for which they are nominated. Ash, Robert, and I debated for a long while, and both of them made it clear they weren't entirely comfortable with discussing categories in which they had been nominated.

For that, I apologize to both of them for putting them in such a situation. And I guarantee that as long as I am running the awards, it won't happen again.

-Jason

Thumbs up +5 Thumbs down