Topic: 2013 Questions for the Candidates

To all members and Candidates - this space is reserved for questions for the Candidates and their answers - feel free to leave your questions here for the Candidates to review and answer!

~Robert

http://i41.tinypic.com/2q2e0ig.png

Thumbs up +1 Thumbs down

Re: 2013 Questions for the Candidates

Thanks for this, Robert.

Here's my first question for TC and especially GC candidates:

I think we could do with tighter procedures for accountability for some positions and projects, and greater follow-up when things don't get actioned, rather than some things needing following up on an ad-hoc basis, like checking whether the auto-emails to new members or AWOL members are working to Member Policy 5 and whether Sim Leaders have posted House Rules or are not compliant with Member Policy 10 or Admin Policy 14.

For example, who checks that the Firefly or Star Wars Area GMs are actually maintaining verisimilitude in their area's sims by keeping abreast of events in them all and advising Sim Leaders and/or GMs accordingly? I'd say roles like that are actually vital to the quality of our RP areas, and I personally feel we need to be more proactive than we have been in making sure the quality is maintained and indeed enhanced.

I'd like to know what the candidates would do if elected to improve our performance on this sort of thing.

Ash

Thumbs up Thumbs down

I'll take each of your points in turn:

1. The auto-emails need to be tweaked - I would have them changed so the Member Support Officer is copied in for this - with the GC added as we head towards a deletion. This is ultimately something that the TC would need to do - but that's my idea. As for House Rules, I have asked my deputy Kevin Diamond to be the lead on that - a majority of our sims are compliant, but we need more work on this.

2. At the moment, we're not having any problems in that field, but I can see that we might. This will probably need a special officer - but I would also consider requiring a brief monthly report on the sims from the Area GMs.

Silent

Perhaps you could answer how much communication the GC has with the Area GMs?

I have another unrelated question, too. I think some members (myself included, actually) are sometimes a bit uncertain as to whether an admin-type-thing needs asking in Management, or Member Support, or somewhere else. I wonder if it might be worth discussing streamlining our "Site" section to improve clarity, or if the candidates are satisfied with how things are?

Ash

Thumbs up +2 Thumbs down

If I am elected GC, I'd like to see greater communication between all of the appointed officers. Silent takes on a lot of the site duties himself, which is fine, but I'd personally like (and need) to get others involved more. One thing we've done in the past is have a task list - this has been used on and off, but I'd personally use it to keep tabs on things that needed to be done. I wouldn't necessarily require it from the officers, but I'd strongly encourage it so that the entire site has visibility into what is being done by the officers. I'd also like to bring back a few items that Ash had going in his tenure - a periodic status from all officers/SLs, and a periodic report on the state of Phoenix (I believe Silent also posted a State of Phoenix at the start of the year, so this would continue).

The other item we don't leverage nearly enough is having assistant positions that can step in if someone is on LOA or otherwise uncommunicative. In this regard, I would likely appoint at least two officers for every position, either on equal footing or an officer and an assistant officer.

As for where to ask admin-type questions, I would encourage anyone with such a question to post it wherever they feel it fits, and definitely not to hesitate that they posted in the "wrong" place. The nice thing about electronic forums is that threads can be moved around pretty easily, so if something needs to be moved to a more appropriate category it's not difficult to do. The only "wrong" thing is to not ask the question at all. smile

That said, it could be more clear what the purposes of each section are. For instance, we have "General Chat" and "General Sim Discussion", and "Management" isn't defined at all (from the top page). This could be cleaned up to better display what is expected out of these areas.

-Jason

http://www.phoenix-rp.com/img/pips/4.png http://oi60.tinypic.com/5otabo.jpg

Thumbs up +2 Thumbs down

Ash Leighton Plom wrote:

I think some members (myself included, actually) are sometimes a bit uncertain as to whether an admin-type-thing needs asking in Management, or Member Support, or somewhere else. I wonder if it might be worth discussing streamlining our "Site" section to improve clarity, or if the candidates are satisfied with how things are?

Ash

My suggestion in reply to this is a Sticky, Locked, Guide to the Site thread, linked in the Site-wide Stickies in either the Useful Guides or Useful Pages sections.

Invisec: Theodore Prenthurch || Accipiter: Renyar Botfodomo || Pacific Rim: Natalie Jessica Finch
http://i1232.photobucket.com/albums/ff378/spsblue/Signature_3_zps1055eafc.png

spsblue wrote:
Ash Leighton Plom wrote:

I think some members (myself included, actually) are sometimes a bit uncertain as to whether an admin-type-thing needs asking in Management, or Member Support, or somewhere else. I wonder if it might be worth discussing streamlining our "Site" section to improve clarity, or if the candidates are satisfied with how things are?

Ash

My suggestion in reply to this is a Sticky, Locked, Guide to the Site thread, linked in the Site-wide Stickies in either the Useful Guides or Useful Pages sections.

Something like this with the thread itself in the "New Members Start Here" forum, too.

Personally, I'd want to see Management being things relating to the site itself in a political manner, Technical being things relating to the site in a nuts-and-bolts manner, and Member being things relating to members. I would also, though, see these things as being under the purview of the GC, with the TC's place being to action them.

I don't go about sending missives and new directives to the Area GMs on a daily basis; I will admit I am a fairly hands off kind of General Coordinator. However, I am always open to deal with any particular issues; indeed I have dealt with some recent cases that I cannot go into further details about here.

I would continue with an annual State of Phoenix, but I would also venture that under my tenure that this state has improved considerably. Periodic status reports should be strongly encouraged, but this is a roleplaying club, not a government ministry.

Yes, I have taken on a considerable amount of work and I would like further assistance, but sadly, with limited exceptions, it hasn't been forthcoming - I am pretty much the sole writer on the blog and have written the majority of newsletter featured articles. I understand, however, if RL stops you from getting further involved.

As for the nuts and bolts, yes, that should be the TC's job, but this TC's real-life has gotten in the way to the point that it's a lot quicker for me to action them - I have no desire to go back to the way things were in the old country, where it could take multiple weeks to get a sim set up after approval.

Yes, the Site guide needs streamlining; that is ultimately a feature for Phoenix 2.0, but this will be something we can look at in any second term I have.

- GM

If each post has a deputy, who can take over in the events of RL getting problematic to the extent that it interferes with the primary post-holder being able to do what needs doing, that will minimize any disruption caused.  Also, I'm guessing a deputy would routinely be handling some tasks at the request of the primary post-holder and thus the burdens on primaries will be lessened in any case. 

SW Accipiter:  Elora  |  SW Invisec:  Karis Durante  |  The Dreamcatchers:  Seren Yates  |  The Longest Journey:  Ciara Stedman

Thumbs up +1 Thumbs down