Topic: Advertising Committee

As previously mentioned, we are starting an advertising committee. Please post here if interested....if you have thoughts, ideas, or suggestions!

ACO

Re: Advertising Committee

Happy to volunteer for being told what to do for this, if you need any leg work doing.

Deb

Thumbs up Thumbs down

Well, I guess one of the first things would be figuring out how we are going to go about advertising. I know how its mostly done in the RP community. But not sure if folks want that kind of activity floating in and out of Phoenix (cause I'll go crazy putting us every where I can). One of the main things with that is that you need a guest friendly area that allows for guest posting, to reciprocate the advertising.

Yeah, I think anything that gets us known is a win. Because we might right now be missing out on great RPers who could bring so much to our sims if they were playing here as members, and we can offer them so much in terms of a supportive, democratic community of creative people to flourish among.

Thumbs up +1 Thumbs down

Just a couple ideas I saw when browsing the site this morning in preparation for forthcoming wiki changes:

1) Re: http://www.phoenix-rp.com/post/60805/#p60805

Silent Hunter posted an ad for Phoenix Roleplaying on RPG-D back in October and it was approved. The issue I see is the ad is for the site overall and not a particular sim.

By this I mean to find the ad for our site a potential user would have to browse the RPG-D Directories, go to Other Fandom / Crossover RPG's, go to Crossover/Multi-Genre, and then navigate to page 2 to find us.

It looks like RPG-D is geared towards sims, not sites, and so the main issue is that our current ad doesn't put our zombie sims under Original Human RPGs, it doesn't put our Star Wars sims under Specific Fandom RPGs, etc. I think the Advertising Committee should pursue their Affiliate program instead of a regular ad and consider individual ads for individual sims.

I don't know the current status of Phoenix ads on PBEM and other sites as they aren't linked from us but that probably means they don't exist.

2) Both links for Phoenix on Band of Brothers and on Beyond the Mast point to the old URL, and anyone who's gone to it recently will notice that none of the image links work, the error message about slowdown still appears there, etc., and it is just a tad unsightly for attracting new gamers. Whoever set up those links with them should probably get them to update the URLs.

Fwiw.

Last edited by Elrood (2015-01-30 18:21:33)

Elrood is right, we need a proper strategy as to how we are presented. I'm not a big fan of single sim advertising, unless the site being advertised on is very niche oriented. Either way, prominent phoenix branding should be on any add. Ideally a gif that rotates   featured sims would be lovely. It seems phoenix is rather unique by the breadth of sims we host, as opposed to single genre sites. I would like that message of us to get out. We do need to update links, but I'm not sure we have a designated person for that right now.

If the External Ads and Alliances forum is guest friendly we could use it, although I'm sure how Phoenix works about a sub board within a sub board.... Ideally what we need (besides graphics) is:

*A forum that consists of a forum for possibly first time advertisers- those posting their ad on Phoenix before we have posted ours on theirs.
*A forum that consists of a forum for other advertisers to link back- to return the favor so to speak. We posted our ad first and allow them to post theirs.
*A place for other sites to request Allifiation with us... button exchange as some call it.

All this would require a committee to keep things handled and up to date. We could just do affiliates if the membership thinks the other would be too much.

That being said...I completely understand what Elrood is saying. I have looked myself and it doesn't grab your attention. I really have issues with RDG-D because to advertise your site you have to have so many posts AND it can only be done by an admin. Their Affiliate program, I just read about and is not for Roleplaying sites. BUT, they do have alot of traffic. I am contemplating messaging their admin and seeing if by chance we can use a sim's banner (with an added Phoenix logo) and get it placed in the correct category. Which I am not entirely they will go for since one of their rules states "Each site may have only one ad in our Directory. You cannot list the same site multiple times, even across multiple Directory categories."

lol Of course another rule: " If at any point you step down from your admin or mod position, your ad must be resubmitted by another staff member of your site."

All that said, I am really not a fan of sim advertising, since we are a multi-genre community, but to grow our member ship we need to do something.

Misty Wilson wrote:

*A forum that consists of a forum for possibly first time advertisers- those posting their ad on Phoenix before we have posted ours on theirs.
*A forum that consists of a forum for other advertisers to link back- to return the favor so to speak. We posted our ad first and allow them to post theirs.
*A place for other sites to request Allifiation with us... button exchange as some call it.

All this would require a committee to keep things handled and up to date. We could just do affiliates if the membership thinks the other would be too much.

However, it's a simple case to get the forums actually set up.