Topic: SDO Access

ksabers wrote:

Sorry for the delay! Of course this is greenlit... but as usual I cannot create the forum  sad  Misty or Euan will have to do it.

~ksabers (SDO)

Probably could do with getting the SDO access to open sims he's approved?

Thumbs up Thumbs down

Re: SDO Access

I personally think this should be the case!

Well, you're the admin, Misty...

It's not something currently technically doable - there's no way to just grant permission to create forums, I'm afraid. ~scribbles on the P2 list~

^^^What he said.

Does Misty not have Admin rights?

Misty's an Admin - GC, TC, and their deputies all are - but Giorgio isn't.

Making me an Admin only to create a forum once in a while would be overkill...  I am happy to just pester them when need arises!  tongue

"My faith protects me. My Kevlar helps" - (Jim Butcher)

Thumbs up Thumbs down

So is the situation that Giorgio can either A) have all the admin privileges including the ability to open new sims on the index but also to ban members, close sims, etc., or B) none of the admin privileges?

Thumbs up Thumbs down

Currently, yup.

Ah.

Thumbs up Thumbs down

The question now becomes... does it do it now that he is also DGC, or leave the chain of command with letting the TC or DTC create sims? Just asking. I personally like having a chain and letting folks have responsibilities.

Well, the GC has full admin permissions, so the DGC has traditionally had them too. The GC has often done sim creation in the past.

Yes; I frequently did. It's not that hard to do.

I think that Misty's question was more "procedural" than "technical".

That is, now the forum software allows him to create new sims, but is it one of SDO's "duties" (note the quotation marks!) to create them or should this be done only by the TC and the DTC?

My opinion is... every action which can speed up and improve the site functionality is welcome. So I would not worry about WHO does the actual creation, as long as the sims are created quickly and the players can start immediately to play.

That said, if on the other hand the decision will be to reserve sim creation to specific roles, it will be ok for me!

Giò

"My faith protects me. My Kevlar helps" - (Jim Butcher)

Thumbs up Thumbs down

Yes as Giorgio said, it was more procedural. Actually, I'm not going to get long winded because I agree with everything already stated! lol As long as they get created as soon as possible after getting the thumbs up from the SDO!

I'll leave this open for a few more days, then I'll close it.

Ah, I see! I'd argue very strongly that if the GC can do something, they have the authority to do it - I'd plan to have more granular permissions in future, so the GC can directly delegate power along with authority to wield it. Ultimately I think we should aim for a place where someone being in a technical role becomes almost irrelevant to the running of the site, with their duties primarily being fixing bugs that come up or creating new features.

Definitely could live with that, GC or not!