Topic: Transport Ship Xiurong

Transferring thread for Scarlett and Jim here..........

Thumbs up Thumbs down

Re: Transport Ship Xiurong

Jim smiled when Scarlett mentioned using her influence, but he cautioned her saying, "Best they not know yer aboard, ma'am.  Th' fewer th' folks what know yer travellin' th' better fer us an' what we're a'fixin' t' accomplish."  It didn't take long for the controller to get back to Jim and give him clearance.
With practiced ease, Jim maneuvered the tiny ship back out of its berth into clear space, then headed out into a neutral heading to get clear of all the other traffic in the area.  With the space lane before them, Jim called Greenleaf and reported his departure, saying ="Greenleaf Control this is merchant ship Xiurong reporting clear of station traffic.  Y'all have a great day.  Over."=

With the formalities over, Jim set the little ship on its course as plotted, and engaged the drives at standard hard burn to take her at best possible speed to St. Michael.  "This little sweetie can show her heels t' jest 'bout anybody what comes a' callin'", he said to Scarlett.  "I tweaked her a mite after I got her, an' while I was still Dock Master at St. Michael, so I had access t' th' facilities.  At full hard burn she can leave an Alliance Short Range Enforcement Vessel (ASREV) in her wake if'n I kick her into gear, but I ain't a'minded t' show our hand jest yet t' every jack-a-nape that's sizin' us up as easy pickins."

The pilot got up and walked over to the tiny galley and poured himself a cup of coffee.  "Kin I offer ye a cup o' java, ma'am?"

- Jim

Thumbs up Thumbs down

ooc: I swear I've written this twice now.... grrrr.

IC: Scarlett smiled at Jim. "That would be great Mr. Duncan." She looked around the tiny cramped ship. "I can see why you like your ship, everything is close by. I get days where I never even leave my office, hell I live there most of the time anyways. Not completely different than here. But its just a little bit of the verse that you can control and call yours. Wish I had more of that. As much as the station is home, seems like one hassel after another sometimes."

-Scarlett

Jim smiled and handed Scarlett a cup of hot coffee and said, "Cream an' sugar 'er on th' counter thar."  He listened to her statement about her daily life and shook his head in sympathy.  "That's why I left the Dock Master's job at St. Michael.  No matter what ye did, there was always somethin' else pokin' its head up fer ye t' deal with.  Life on Xiurong has been much more laid back."  He fished around in a cupboard in the galley and pulled out a deck of cards.  "What's yer game, Dock Master?", he asked with a grin.  "We got us some time t' kill."

- Jim Duncan

Last edited by Mike Palmer (2015-02-07 00:21:24)

Thumbs up Thumbs down

"I'm fine with mine black." she replied. "Can't say you are a coffee lover if you dilute the taste." She gladly accepted the cup from Jim.
Card games! Oh lord, she was never good with these. She had a rudimentary knowledge of poker from a ill conceived game with the late night hanger crew that left her explaining to her father why she was on the promenade deck wrapped only in a towel.  "Uh, I goess I know 21. Not really been much of a player. I'm willing to learn anything, as long as we dont start for real stakes."
-Scarlett

"Gin rummy's always a good'un", Jim explained as he shuffled the cards, "but we kin play 21 if'n that's what ye feel good wi'".  He began to deal 21, while telling Scarlett how to play gin rummy.  While the two people played cards and talked, the Xiurong slipped quickly through the Black on her way to St. Michael, with Jim's upgraded systems searching through the inky darkness for trouble in route.

- Jim Duncan

Thumbs up Thumbs down

Scarlett listened to Jim's explanation of the game as she played out her hands in 21, some good some bad. Her mind tended to calculate odds on cards remaining in the deck and playing with one deck gave her a bit of insight.

Their transit in the Black produced few moments of exceptional interest, like most spacefaring, long hours of waiting.

"What's St. Michael like? I've never been out that far." Scarlett inquired.

-Scarlett

Jim considered Scarlett's question for a moment, then responded.  "Well, like a lot o' places our here on th' Rim, it's pretty wild and free.  More so then most, 'cause Blue Sun has a plant there, so there's a lotta platinum flowin' free.  Had t' put down a riot once, which was kind of excitin'.  A lot'll depend on who's sheriff at th' moment as t' law enforcement.  The Open Market is a great place t' visit if'n yer in th' market fer goods, 'specially unusual goods like we're after.  It's buyer beware, though, 'lessen ye know yer seller real good.  An' even then, count yer fingers after ye shake hands, if'n ye know what I mean.  It was a lot easier when I was Dock Master, as I had th' juice on hand t' lay on repercussions if'n a deal went south."  He paused for a minute and added, "When we get planetside, I'll take ye t' see what's there.  Ye jest never know... gave this gal we're a'gonna see a lot o' business, an' she dealt square wi' me, so that guives us a leg up.  We'll jest hafta see, ma'am."

- Jim

Last edited by Mike Palmer (2015-02-09 19:48:55)

Thumbs up Thumbs down

Scarlett lifted an eye brow. "Is this gal a close acquaintance of yours? What's she like?" Scarlet smiled the mischievous part of her nature coming out.

-Scarlett

"Nope", he replied, "not close, just ran one deal with her a while back.  She's out t' make a credit, same as everyone else.  Once she knows yer not there t' be flim-flammed like some green horn, but know yer stuff, ye'll be fine."

- Jim

Thumbs up Thumbs down

"Not my first time to the rodeo Mr. Duncan. I think we can do some good business with your contact. We certainly have enough funds to turn her head."
-Scarlett

Jim nodded at Scarlett's statement and considered the Dock Master he knew.  He had no qualms about pulling off this deal with her, as he felt she was a straight shooter who could definitely take care of herself.  "Money talks an' BS walks", he said with a laugh.  "I kin round us up some boys as muscle on St. Michael, if'n ye think we need 'em", he said as encouragement.  "I got yer back an won't let no varmits sneak up on ye."  The ship sailed on through the Black as Jim cut the cards...

- Jim

Thumbs up Thumbs down

OOC: Beautiful name for a ship, Mike.  wink

Thumbs up Thumbs down

OOC - Yeah, it sort of felt like a natural... especially in this game.

- Mike tpo Jim

Thumbs up Thumbs down

Mike Palmer wrote:

Jim nodded at Scarlett's statement and considered the Dock Master he knew.  He had no qualms about pulling off this deal with her, as he felt she was a straight shooter who could definitely take care of herself.  "Money talks an' BS walks", he said with a laugh.  "I kin round us up some boys as muscle on St. Michael, if'n ye think we need 'em", he said as encouragement.  "I got yer back an won't let no varmits sneak up on ye."  The ship sailed on through the Black as Jim cut the cards...

- Jim

"I appreciate it." Scarlett responded while taking the cards Jim dealt her. "Having a little protection while in a strange town is never a bad thing. We can afford to make friends." She looked at the older man, then looked at her cards, then back to Jim again. "You sure you shuffled these right?"
-Scarlett

Jim looked at Scarlett with a quizzical look and said, "Yep, I shuffled 'em."  He glanced at his own cards and saw nothing amiss.  "Ye didn't draw a natural Gin did ye?"  She had the devil's own luck if she did.

The engineer changed the subject, and went back to the muscle issue.  "If'n ye want some muscle when we arrive, I kin send a message t' an old friend what owes me.  Soon as we git done wi' this hand, I'll text 'im."

- Jim

Thumbs up Thumbs down

"Nah, I got nothing. Gonna have to get through this the hard way." she stated shifting her cards around. She nodded as he was discussing his friends. "That would be great. Any help we can get the better. I'm happy to play this as a straight buyer but it never hurts to see how else to work a deal. I'll trust your take on the situation, you know the local scene."

-Scarlett

Jim nodded and said, "Let me make a call ahead and make sure ht's still alive an' kickin".  The engineer pulled out his CorTex, looked up an address and sent a message to St. Michael.

= Carson, this is Jim Duncan.  You still in business?  Looking to hire a few top notch porters for a coffee buyer.  Experience and reliability are must haves.=

- Jim Duncan

Thumbs up Thumbs down

=Hey Duncan. Long time... Things have changed around here, but yeah, I still keep a hand in the business. I know a couple boys who's families owe me favors. Good kids. Big. How long you in port for? They got a new Priestess over at the Happy Buddah that's to die for.=

-Carson

=Sounds like a plan is in order for a visit to the Happy Buddah, buddy.  Just be around for a day or so... depends on the coffee buyer.  Will be good to see you and catch up on what's happening.  Will give you an ETA when we're closer.=

- Jim

Thumbs up Thumbs down

=Duncan, you get into to port, we'll make sure your buyer gets all the Coffee they need, then we'll have it out on the town. I'll arrange the company and you buy the beer. You might wanna play sly with the port authority, they are a bit prickly over Coffee deals now days.=

-Carson

Jim received the message, and signed off saying, =Thanks Carson.  Sounds like a plan.  I'll let you know when I'm short on ETA.  Be well, brother.  Duncan out.=

He turned and shared the message with Scarlett so that she'd be up on what was happening.  "Carson's a good man, 'an his muscle should be 'nuff t' keep th' bad apples away while ye do business.  St. Michael's folks respect force.  What'd ye bring wi' ye fer weapons, ma'am?"

- Jim

Thumbs up Thumbs down

Scarlet listened to his report from his contact on St. Michael. "Sounds like a rough neighborhood. I only brought a few tools with me." She pulled the 9mm from the back of her jeans and placed it on the small galley table in front of her. Then reached for her travel duffel bag and pulled the other 9mm and Riot shotgun. "Just a couple things daddy liked keeping around the office in case of emergencies. I'm not going to claim to be a crack shot with any of them. I've kind of specialized in crowd control. You can stop a riot more effectively by a ricochet taking out their ankles than making headshots. I'm not hardened killer, but I know how to pull a trigger and not feel too bad afterwards." She actually paused to think about that statement afterwards. Some folks she didn't care if she shot them. If they ended up in front of her gun they were likely doing things to deserve it. She had never been in a situation where it was personal. She wasn't sure how she would feel about something like that.

She stopped her introspection and looked back up at Jim. "You think this'll do?"

-Scarlett

Jim watched as Scarlett brought out her weapons, and he grinned at her.  "Nice choice, ma'am", he said as he continued to smile.  "Them's good choices fer St. Michael, an' command respect from anyone what's been on th' business end o' them rascals.  Jest keep 'em holstered or slung lest things get sticky... but ye'll be a' knowin' if'n we git t' that point." he looked at Scarlett and continued.  "Th' main thing is, we're here t' buy, not t' git into a gunfight.  I don't have room in Xiurong t' carry all th' hardware we'll be a' needin', an' our seller knows it.  So we'll be a' takin' some sensitive components wi' us, if'n she's got 'em on hand, an' she'll be shippin' us th' rest.  I kin also make runs back here, if'n it comes t' that.  But she's in business t' make platinum, an' her reputation is important fer future business.  She kin git flush wi' platinum if'n she plays this 'un straight up, an' gits hersef a better rep all t' way 'round, if'n ye know my meanin', ma'am."

- Jim Duncan

Thumbs up Thumbs down

Scarlett smiled and shook her head in agreement. "Daddy taught me to use firepower to maintain control, and if we have to shoot, we've likely already lost. We are here to make deals and build relationships, not a shooting war. I don't want to waste my time or yours with questionable vendors. If your Miss Shiela wants Platinum, we can give her that. I want nothing but friends on this trip."

-Scarlett