Re: Transport Ship Xiurong

Scarlett didn't take well to being left out of helping out. She had tied down more than her share of ships when she worked the hanger decks at the skyplex. Of course those weren't in the middle of gale force winds. She had spent more time in her life in zero G outfits than rain slickers. In truth she had never seen anything like the spectacle of nature erupting around the ship. She found herself in a state of mesmerized awe and terror. She wondered what such a wind felt like.

She pulled out her flannel shirt, leather jacket and  Blue Sun ball cap, and readied herself to go out. Rain and bad weather had never factored into her thinking or impromptu  packing for this trip. Her belongings were inside the rucksack she put up on her shoulder, making sure the second nine millimeter was stuffed in the back of her jeans.

-Scarlett

Re: Transport Ship Xiurong

With the winds of hell bashing them about with a vengeance, the tie down took longer than normal.  But with Jim's assistance, the extra set of hands proved them all to be up to the task, and Xiurong was finally secured at her berth on Pad 6.  Jim noticed that the crew had driven to the landing pad in a heavy tracked service vehicle, and as he stood next to one of the ground crew he shouted, "Kin we catch a ride wi' ye back t' th' terminal?"  The man simply nodded affirmative, so Jim replied, "I'll git my partner an' be right there."  The two parted company, with the crewman heading back to the tracked vehicle and Jim heading back to the airlock.

The engineer had to pull the hatch open against the wind, which was blowing in straight off the bow.  Had she been broadside to such winds, the tie downs might not have held the little ship in place.  Jim pushed his way inside and the hatch, then dogged it shut. When he entered the ship proper, he found Scarlett ready to step outside.  "Let me grab my gear, ma'am, an' I got us a ride over t' th' terminal", he told her.

- Jim

Thumbs up Thumbs down

Re: Transport Ship Xiurong

"Great! I found I'm terribly underdressed for this excursion. Maybe we can get something in town, if there is town enough left to buy things in." Scarlett remarked. She was still feeling a bit useless, but she got that way sometimes as an administrator. It was sometimes best to let others do their job, even if you could do it too.
"Quite the storm blowing out there. Is this normal on some worlds?" she inquired rather naively.
-Scarlett

Re: Transport Ship Xiurong

As he collected his kit for their stay, Jim replied to Scarlett, saying, "This storm's not like anythin' I ever seen on St. Michael, 'er elsewhere.  I'd say it's compliments of them rascals at Blue Sun... 'member that funny lightnin' a'comin' from their research plant?"  Then he looked at Scarlett and said seriously, "Best not mention we seen that t' anybody, ma'am.  Folks what know too much here have a way o' disappearin', if'n ye git my drift."  He finished his packing, and picked up a backpack before slinging a deadly looking shotgun with a large magazine over his shoulder.  "Let's git ma'am a'fore this storm gits any worse", he said as he ushered them towards the hatch.

The two humans stepped out into the storm and Jim secured the ship's security system, then they made their way to the tracked transport which had pulled up alongside the Xiurong.  The vehicle faced into the storm, so that its rear ramp could lower and take on the two travelers.  Once inside, the crew raised the ramp and set off for the terminal.  The sounds of the wind howling outside made Jim appreciate the ride, as that would've been a tough walk.

- Jim

Thumbs up Thumbs down

Re: Transport Ship Xiurong

The ride was not a long one, but the sound of the wind and rain lashing the vehicle outside was a reminder of the violence of the storm.  "'Preciate th' lift fellers", he said to the ground crew with a smile.  "That wind's a'howlin' like th' banshee hersef out thar."  Once in the lee of the terminal, the wind's effects were minimized, and the crew left Jim and Scarlett to check in at the Dock Master's office.  The engineer had all the necessary papers in his document packet, and pointed the way for Scarlett down the hall to the door with a large overhead sign that read simply, Dock Master.

Jim entered the open doorway and unzipped his rain gear, taking off his jacket so that he wouldn't drench the clerk's desk with runoff rain water.  He held out his papers to the desk clerk and smiled a big country smile, saying, "Bit o' weather out thar, Millie."  He had always liked this older woman who looked up with surprise as she heard her name... solid employee and good at her job.  "Good t' see ye", he added and declared his business.  "Business trip this time... nuthin' t' declare... jest me an' one crew."

- Jim

Thumbs up Thumbs down

Re: Transport Ship Xiurong

Scarlett had developed an odd fascination with the maelstrom flowing around them. The feel of it tearing at her through her clothing was exhilarating. She almost didnt want to get moved into the large truck. But she had to admit it was much smarter not to stare down the dark throat of this beastly weather.

Once into the spaceport, she noticed how very much like any other port is appeared. She followed Jim's lead as they can to the DockMaster's office. In truth her's was nicer.

Millie looked up at Jim with a shock of surprise that faded quickly into a big smile. "Jim Duncan! You picked a hell of a day to stop by. Your likely our last customer until this storm blows over." She quickly took up Jim's papers, scanned them and stamped their arrival. She turned her eyes to Scarlett. "And this crew, your daughter?"

Scarlett controlled the eye rolling she was so tempted to perform. instead she held out her hand and Ident card. "Scarlett Newmann Wilson. Dockmaster and Administrator for Greenleaf Skyplex.' Millie took Scarlet's hand in introduction. "A pleasure to meet you Miss Wilson. Must be pretty substantial business for the two of you to pull a landing in this."

-Scarlett

Re: Transport Ship Xiurong

"If'n we rode out this big blow in orbit, Miss Scarlett here'd have t' put up wi' 'ole Jim Duncan in that li'l bitty ship jest that much longer", Jim said with a twinkle in his eye.  "Better t' git on down an' ride it out planetside fer her sake."  Then he drew closer to Millie and said quietly, "I ain't THAT old, Miss Millie... daughter indeed."  But in the end he smiled and winked at Millie, then changed the subject.  "Y'all still got Rent a Wreck operatin' outta th' spaceport?", he asked her.  "We need some legs so's we kin stay outta all this here storm."

- Jim

Last edited by Mike Palmer (2015-04-24 18:06:06)

Thumbs up Thumbs down

Re: Transport Ship Xiurong

Mille smiled back. "Of course. Anything from a utility mule to a light armored personnel transport, we've got it or can get it. I'd recommend the full coverage policy on it considering the weather, but ain't sure they won't call this an act of God.  How long ya need it for?"
-Millie

Re: Transport Ship Xiurong

Jim looked around at Scarlett and raised an eyebrow, then asked, "How long ye thing ye can take th' delights of St. Michael?"  He looked out the window at the sheets of rain and continued, "'specially given th' lovely weather this time o' year."

- Jim

Thumbs up Thumbs down

Re: Transport Ship Xiurong

A slight glimmer came in Scarlett's eye at the mention of the weather. "Whatever it takes to conclude our business transaction. I am finding this world to be intriguing. Will it get worse?"

Millie gave Scarlett a look of bewilderment. "Reports say it's bound to get nastier through the day and into tomorrow. I'm declaring the port closed until conditions improve. Frightful if you ask me." Miller's comment was punctuated by a flash of lightening followed by an immediate long clap of Thunder. "My goodness that was close. It's going to be a long day."

-Scarlett

Re: Transport Ship Xiurong

Jim looked outside and said, "If'n ye got a spare enclosed hover mule, that'd be th' ticket.  Don't have t' worry 'bout mud that way.  We'll take yer advise Millie an' get full coverage."  He thought about it for a moment, then added, "Make it a four seater, Millie.  Might need t' give as lift t' some unfortunates along the way."  He stepped aside to allow Scarlett to pay for the vehicle rental, and he tapped out a Cortex message to his contact, Carson, asking where to pick up their muscle.  They might not need them to visit Shiela Sing, but you never knew.

- Jim

Last edited by Mike Palmer (2015-04-27 18:33:25)

Thumbs up Thumbs down

Re: Transport Ship Xiurong

Millie looked across the screen at the counter. "Looks like we got a couple up for rent. The red one is the newest. I'll get you set up with full protection. Its a bit pricey, but I have feeling you are gonna thank me for it." She pulled up the rental documents and turned the screen for Jim and Scarlett to inspect. Scarlett looked at Jim for a moment to make sure it was what he felt was adequate. As he stepped aside she pulled out her Blue Sun corporate exchange ID to process the rental.

As Jim watched the pad, Carson responded. =I can get you a couple good men, just say where you want em to meet you.=

-GM/Scarlett

Re: Transport Ship Xiurong

Jim read the response and in turn replied, = Someplace where they won't get drenched waiting on us.  We'll be in a red hover mule.  I'll cue you when we leave the spaceport.=  Everything was proceeding well, and now they just needed to get their mule and head out.  He was glad Miss Scarlett didn't put up a fuss about the mule and its insurance coverage.  He'd seen many a vehicle roll into the spaceport riddled with bullet holes... and worse.  The engineer turned back to the counter and said, "Thank'ee Millie.  We'll be a'seein' ye agin soon."

- Jim

Thumbs up Thumbs down

Re: Transport Ship Xiurong

"You be careful out there Jim Duncan. It's not fit for man nor beast. Good fortune to you." Millie called back to him.

The message read back. =The boys will meet you at Front and Oslow along the perimeter of the Governor's compound.=

Scarlett grabbed the paperwork for the mule and followed on Jim's heels. She was not fond of trailing along behind men, but Jim seemed a good man and this was his turf. She was content to follow and learn. "So where are we meeting your Miss Sing?"

-Scarlett

Re: Transport Ship Xiurong

Jim smiled at Millie and nodded, then walked out to the red hover mule and popped the canopy hatch to allow Scarlett to enter.  "I kin send her a message lettin' her know we're planetside an' ready to talk", Jim explained to the Dock Master.  "We'll make a stop t' git our muscle, then head t' th' meetin' place."  Jim kept his back to the wind as he checked the exterior of the vehicle, then climbed into the cabin to take the driver's seat.  A quick check of systems showed everything to be in good order, so Jim cranked up the mule and let it warm up.  While he waited he sent a message to Shiela Sing that they were there and ready to talk turkey.  As soon as the message was sent, he strapped himself in and nodded to Scarlett to do the same, then pulled out onto the roadway.  With the headlamps piercing the driving rain, and his emergency flashers on to add to their road presence, Jim began the slow drive to meet their two muscle men near the Governor's compound.  "Man this here's a devil of a storm", he commented as he drove.

- Jim

Thumbs up Thumbs down

Re: Transport Ship Xiurong

Scarlett climbed into the cab of the hover mule and immediately pulled on her safety harness. Not that she feared Jim's driving, but the maelstrom now enveloping the town was terrifying and awesome. "Sounds good." she replied to his comment on picking the muscle up. "How long did you live here?" she inquired of him.

Hover mules were a blessing and a curse in harsh weather. They disregarded puddles and flooding, but heavy winds could do a number on them. There was some shielding in the town, espectially as they got to more solid structures in the center, but they were absolutely getting buffeted heavily from the winds. Jim would need to take it slow and pray there wasn't much traffic, which there wasn't as few fools would venture out on a day such as this.

-Scarlett

Re: Transport Ship Xiurong

Jim concentrated closely on his driving, as the winds were horrendous.  He knew the streets of St. Michael well having cruised them all in happier times.  "I was here fer about two years", he replied without looking at the Dock Master.  "Most o' that was spent as Dock Master, so I know th' town pret' near as good as a body can."  A burst of wind between buildings pushed the mule sideways for a moment, but Jim quickly moved past the gap and regained full control.

A few more minutes of tense driving brought him to the Governor's Compound, and Jim pulled the mule up at the intersection of Front and Oslow.  He looked over at Scarlett and said, "Do me a favor ma'am, keep your pistol ready but out o' sight, jest in case, eh?"  He looked for the two men who were meeting them, so that he could move the mule into position to block the wind and allow thus them to enter without drenching them all.

- Jim

Thumbs up Thumbs down

Re: Transport Ship Xiurong

The men they were picking up were rather obvious, being the only two fools out on the streets in this weather. They moved out from an overhang of the perimeter wall of the Governor's compound and bracing against the wind, flagged down the approaching hover mule.

They made their way to the door and popped it open. "We heard you got a job for us. Appreciate getting out of the weather."

The two were obviously rather large despite the foul weather gear that hung off them. They had the look of men who had broken their share of body parts of people from noses to kneecaps.

-GM

Re: Transport Ship Xiurong

As the men entered the cabin, Jim watched them and smiled.  "Glad t' have ye wi' us", he said to the duo.  He quickly headed off to get clear of the wind in open places, and then gave the weapons dealer a call.  "Let's hope she's free t' make some deals", he said to Scarlett.  He waited for the Cortex to respond.

- Jim

Thumbs up Thumbs down

Re: Transport Ship Xiurong

The small image of Sheila Sing appeared on the Cortex. =Mr. Duncan, it appears you are in town. You picked quite the day to visit us, but I am available to help with whatever procurement you might desire. You can come by the technology resource office in the government building. We are just down the hall from security.=
-Sheila Sing

Re: Transport Ship Xiurong

Jim smiled and replied, "That's jest peachy, Shiela.  We're on our way.  See ye shortly."  The engineer turned to Scarlett and said, "Well now, seems she's in an' rearin' t' go.  We'll be there in two shakes of a dead sheep's tail."  The hover mule turned and made its way toward the Government Building, which was familiar turf to Jim from his days as Dock Master.  The wind and rain made driving difficult, but not impossible.

- Jim

Thumbs up Thumbs down

Re: Transport Ship Xiurong

Scarlett looked out the front windshield in a state of awe at the maelstrom around them. "Seriously, how did you live here with weather that tries to kill you."

The little mule made its way into the parking lot for the Government building. lights were on in the building and despite the streets being mostly deserted, the building had a steady flow of activity going on inside.
-GM

Re: Transport Ship Xiurong

"Nuthin' get's in th' way o' doin' business", he said as he observed the government building's traffic.

Jim grinned at Scarlett and replied, "Ma'am, this here ain't normal weather fer St. Michael.  We had some hum-dingers afore now, but this'n takes the cake."  The engineer pulled out his Cortex and said to their muscle, "Y'all got hand helds t' communicate?  We need t' set up a panic button so's we kin get word t' ye that all hell's breakin' loose an' t' come runnin'."  He pulled their numbers and entered them on his Cortex, then set up the unit so that if he pushed a certain button that the two men would get the signal that he and Scarlett were in trouble.

"How'd ye want t' use yer men, ma'am?", he asked politely.  "Want 'em t' stay wi' th' mule t' keep it from bein' tampered wi', 'er d'ye want 'em t' come wi' us?"

- Jim

Thumbs up Thumbs down

Re: Transport Ship Xiurong

Scarlett looked out ate the roiling tempest. "Probably best to have them come in the building and stay close with us. No one knows why we are here, so not too likely somebody will mess with our stuff."

The Government buildings of St. Michael were all an impressive polished black color resulting form the heavy lava flows of the limited land mass on a mostly waterly world. The external lights kept a halo like glare in the falling rain.

-Scarlett

Re: Transport Ship Xiurong

Jim nodded and said, "All right, fellers, let's git gone."  He moved to the compartment hatch and opened it to allow Scarlett and the two body guards head for the government building at a run.  He then stepped outside and secured the hatch behind him, making sure to lock it before turning and running to the nearby building.

After following his party into the building, Jim made sure the door closed to keep the wind and rain out, then turned to find Sheila Sing and the Technology Resource Office.

- Jim Duncan

Thumbs up Thumbs down