Topic: NOMINATIONS 2014 AWARDS

Nominations are now open for these awards.

Categories are:

Sim of the Year
Player of the Year
GM of the Year
SL of the Year
Character of the Year
Special GC Award.

("This is an award given out by the GC at his or her sole discretion, to recognize special achievements by a member in contributions to Phoenix and its community. Any member can nominate someone for a GC award, or otherwise bring the contribution to the GCs attention, but the GC has final say in distributing such awards.")

Players may nominate up to 3 players per award.
Nominations close Monday 9th March at midnight GMT.

If possible, it would be helpful for people to give a brief explanation or reason for each nomination, but this is not essential.

Please post nominations in this thread.

Deborah

Thumbs up Thumbs down

Re: NOMINATIONS 2014 AWARDS

I don't even know what a GC is (general consensus?), but it does state: "..to recognize special achievements by a member in contributions to Phoenix and its community.." - So I am not sure if I even get a say or if there is any kind of visual/arts award, but I would like to nominate Zuzutoo for neomaxizoomtastic rockin' banners, especially the one(s) he did for "North Haven". If Phoenix was created for vagabond games to rise from the ashes, his artwork surely stokes the sparks.

http://i.imgur.com/CiLAXBN.jpg?1

Thumbs up +1 Thumbs down

The GC is the General Coordinator of this site, a position currently held by Misty Wilson.

Mischa

http://i13.photobucket.com/albums/a281/hollyzuzu/6bd9dace-1d9f-469e-b069-b872b1d826dd_zpswfifvw2x.jpg

Thumbs up +1 Thumbs down

I would at this moment like to nominate two players for the Player of the Year Award. First of them is Misty Wilson who proved more than capable of filling the difficult role of GC. Not only did she step up quickly when the previous GC went inactive. fulfilling her role as Deputy GC, but she has also remained a very capable GC during and after this somewhat hectic transition phase.

The second person I would like to nominate for Player of the Year is Giorgio Borgo (ksabers) who is one of our most active members and he has managed to become a great help for our site in a relative short amount of time. The fact that Misty has appointed him as Deputy GC shows that other people value his input very much as well.

Then I have one more nomination to make (for the moment): that of GM of the Year. Herefore I would also like to nominate Giorgio Borgo (ksabers). His great GM-ing in the sim The Dreamcatchers is simply awesome. Giorgio has chosen to let all players start at separate places with their own stories, which makes his job very time consuming and difficult, since he has to write a separate story for each player and have NPC's interact with them. However, he manages to do that without keeping people waiting for long amounts of time. Simply put: his GC'ing is what keeps the sim going and what keeps it a very fun sim.

-Mischa

Last edited by Mischa Brendel (2015-02-24 10:41:13)

http://i13.photobucket.com/albums/a281/hollyzuzu/6bd9dace-1d9f-469e-b069-b872b1d826dd_zpswfifvw2x.jpg

Thumbs up +2 Thumbs down

Thanks both. Great nominations.  smile

Thumbs up Thumbs down

Venus Virgilia wrote:

I don't even know what a GC is (general consensus?), but it does state: "..to recognize special achievements by a member in contributions to Phoenix and its community.." - So I am not sure if I even get a say or if there is any kind of visual/arts award, but I would like to nominate Zuzutoo for neomaxizoomtastic rockin' banners, especially the one(s) he did for "North Haven". If Phoenix was created for vagabond games to rise from the ashes, his artwork surely stokes the sparks.

As Mischa said, that's me! And thank you for nominating someone for that award! Folks will have to correct me if I am wrong, but I think that might be a first. Either way, it is totally awesome, as is Kevin aka Zuzutoo. (And I am not just saying that because he is my fiance.) I will definitely take your suggestion for the award into consideration, Venus!

That  being said, I have a few nominations myself...

Sim of the Year:
*Alpha Six
*Dreamcatchers
*Odyssey

Player of the Year:
*Elrood
*ksabers (Giorgio)

GM of the Year:
*SoapyMac
*Kevin Diamond

SL of the Year:
*Giorgio
*Mischa Brendel
*Silent Hunter

Character of the Year:
This is going to take some more time to figure out!

And thank you for nominating someone for that award! Folks will have to correct me if I am wrong, but I think that might be a first.

hahahahahahahahahahahaha that makes perfect sense to me  big_smile 

I will definitely take your suggestion for the award into consideration, Venus!

thank you, misty!!

http://i.imgur.com/CiLAXBN.jpg?1

Thumbs up Thumbs down

Sim of the Year
Dream Catchers -  A consistently high quality sim that carries a reputation for complexity and imagination.
Zodiac Mercenaries – Fierce, detailed and action packed, this original science fiction sim has kept a large base of players captivated for some time.
Alpha Six – A routine recipient of highest posts in monthly SSR ratings, Alpha Six has performed well over time.

Player of the Year
Misty Wilson – Misty has gone way above and beyond in all categories for this club in the past year. She has carried us through difficult times, lead us in outreaches and conventions and taken on fixing things that have been delayed for years. She also plays consistently in many of our sims.
Soapymac (Dale) – Dale always does an excellent job of posting and at normal intervals to keep sims going. He has stepped in to help out on numerous occasions and is a valued asset of Phoenix.
Ksabers (Giorgio) – Georgio is a welcoming personality that has helped diligently in both administrative and in normal posting. His characters are vibrant and fun to interact with.

GM of the Year
Ksabres (Giorgio) – I sadly have not played in Dreamcatchers, but I have heard excellent things about it from its players and on Giorgio’s abilities as GM. I personally love his Gming on Pacific Rim.

SL of the Year
Brandon Lovell – Zodiac Mercenaries. Brandon has been a proactive leader that has pulled people into his sim, always communicates with them directly and builds motivation to keep posting. Exceptional leader.
Silent Hunter – Silent always does an excellent job managing his Sims. They are diverse and imaginative and he keeps them moving along.
Deborah Leighton Plom – Vermillion City. Even though it’s a fairly late entry for the year, Deborah has done an excellent job creating a complex and very detailed world for the players to explore. Big kudos too for the Wix website that goes with it. I’d like something like that on every sim.

Character of the Year
Aaron – TDC (SoapyMac). A troubled man that carries physical and emotional scars separating him from others. You never know if you should feel sorry for him or just plain scared of him.
Francoise – Canis UK (Ksabers). Francoise is a tiny woman in a big world. She has the sass and attitude to make up for her diminutive size… if people can hear her that is.

Friend of Phoenix
Euan Reid has been a long suffering dedicated tech master for the site, not to mention hosting the site. He has kept us running through spam invasions, server upgrades and any other problem that comes along. His dedication and generosity are greatly appreciated.
I know Misty Wilson would never give the friend of Phoenix award to herself, but she totally deserves it for the same reasons as I’ve mentioned in my Player of the Year nomination for her.

In the past we have had a Newcomer of the year award. If we have it. I would nominate Elrood, Spart and Gfictional that have all leapt in to help out on many things.

Last edited by Zuzutoo (2015-02-27 00:07:54)

Zuzutoo wrote:

Friend of Phoenix
Euan Reid has been a long suffering dedicated tech master for the site, not to mention hosting the site. He has kept us running through spam invasions, server upgrades and any other problem that comes along. His dedication and generosity are greatly appreciated.
I know Misty Wilson would never give the friend of Phoenix award to herself, but she totally deserves it for the same reasons as I’ve mentioned in my Player of the Year nomination for her.

In the past we have had a Newcomer of the year award. If we have it. I would nominate Elrood, Spart and Gfictional that have all leapt in to help out on many things.

'Friend of Phoenix' is a named Special GC Award. I understand that a GC may make up to 4 Special GC awards a year, (at any time) and that Friend of Phoenix is one that was used in this way in the past, and has been awarded subsequently, but is not in itself a separate award...

although I have listed it as such in the other thread! (A blonde moment).

I think it is best to stick to the agreed official awards policy, so the GC can award up to 4 Special GC awards a year, and that if she so chooses, one of those could be called 'Friend of Phoenix'.

And yes, we're not running a 'Newcomers' award this year, but we've got some great new players who are eligible for all the above awards.

To summarise - the categories are as described in the first post in this thread.

Thumbs up Thumbs down

My nominations:

Sim of the Year: The Dark Cometh, Vermilion City
Player of the Year: Misty Wilson, ksabers
GM of the Year: Zuzutoo
SL of the Year: Deborah Leighton Plom
Character of the Year: Scarlett Wilson, Greenleaf Skyplex
Special GC Award: Ash Leighton Plom, Euan Reid

My nominations are the following:

Sim of the Year:
   The Longest Journey - A complex and intriguing interpretation of the best adventure ever written.
   Miskatonic University - Lovecraft himself would like it.

Player of the Year:
   Misty Wilson - She's doing a great job as GC!
   Mischa Brendel - Newsletter, sims, everything done incredibly well.
   Soapymac (Dale) - Serious, competent, great player.

GM of the Year:
   Elrood - For Miskatonic University, great job!
   Soapymac (Dale) - for Canis Pacifica, it wasn't easy reviving it, but he did it perfectly.

SL of the Year:
   Silent Hunter - A pillar of Phoenix. He manages his sim like a true captain.
   Mischa Brendel - For The Longest Journey, directed like a classy movie, even inserting bits of the new Dreamfall Chapters game.

Character of the Year:
   Nico Steenhuizen (Mischa - The Dreamcatchers) - A boss with a soul, suspended between courage and fear. Very well played.
   Marco Averson (Soapymac - The Dreamcatchers) - A true, brave ex-soldier who still fights for his values and his friends.

Special GC Award:
   Euan Reid - Because he's always here to oil Phoenix's gears when needed, and his behind-the-scenes work is as good as his characters.

"My faith protects me. My Kevlar helps" - (Jim Butcher)

Thumbs up +1 Thumbs down