Topic: [OOC] Wing Commander Gemini Sector 2.0 - Proposal Thread

A few years back, a MUSH I was a member (and eventual admin) of fell apart due to time conflicts/limitations and lack of new blood.  At the time, I wasn't familiar with the concept of a Forum RP otherwise I would have suggested transitioning over.

Anyway, I'm looking into reactivating this MUSH as a Forum RP.  The story has always been (and would continue to be) open for the addition of new characters/players.

SL/GM: Iceblade
Name:  Wing Commander: Gemini Sector
Min Players: 4 (excluding myself)
Explore the Roleplay environment: TCS Majestic

Description:
In the distant future, mankind is locked in a deadly war…

The year is 2659. War between the Terran Confederation and the felinoid aliens known as the Kilrathi has raged for twenty years, with no end in sight. Seeking to break the stalemate, the Kilrathi have launched a surprise offensive through the edge of Terran-controlled space in Gemini Sector. A tenacious counteroffensive has pushed back the first wave of the Kilrathi assault, but a second wave has washed over Confed's forces and placed the Majestic deep behind the frontline. For the pilots and crew of the Majestic, survival is not the only goal as the current circumstances offer them a prime opportunity to cut the Kilrathi offensive off at the knees.

Details/Rules:
Based on the 'Wing Commander' series of games, Wing Commander: Gemini Sector offers space opera fun in a bureaucracy-light atmosphere (now extra light big_smile). The game is set aboard a single Terran Confederation carrier, the Bengal Class Strike Carrier TCS Majestic.  Roleplaying will be GM-driven at first, but if enough people join, I hope to move in the direction of more free-form RP.  Roleplaying events may take place across various locals such as other capital ships, installations, or planets.

A maximum of three player characters are allowed per person but each must be in a separate military branch (TCSF - pilots/technicians/fighter gunners, TCN - naval personnel, and TCMC - marines) and aren't allowed to interact directly.  Minor npcs can be brought in from the time to time, but shouldn't be a major character in any roleplaying sense.

Fighter combat will be handled by a custom-built program for the purposes of action resolution. Combat will be fairly simple, just include a few details about your next action at the bottom of your post and I'll post the results in a general scene post.

As of right now, there are two former members of the MUSH who are highly interested in joining this Sim (and the site as a result). There is another individual from the MUSH who might also join up, though I'm still waiting to hear back from him.  Right now, I am hoping to pull in at least one or two native Phoenix players.

Last edited by Iceblade (2015-07-03 05:14:22)

Thumbs up +2 Thumbs down

Re: [OOC] Wing Commander Gemini Sector 2.0 - Proposal Thread

The fighter pilot sims seem to be a popular area/genre on Phoneix!

Indeed it is; who'd have thought that Fighter Ops would spawn so many other sims.

Combat Resolution Program development is proceeding well.  Although ground combat won't be ready for some time.

Fighter combat from a player's standpoint will be quite easy. Just post your action with your pose: Pass turn, treat fighter, or attack a target with a specific weapon and include any change in combat stance (evasive, cautious, bonzai, or normal)

A bit more work for a GM but nothing too involved. It's all handled via text file inputs and command arguments.  System is set up handle multiple simultaneous combats (if desired and applicable).

Currently pilots only need three attributes (accuracy, piloting, and ecm), so character generation isn't much more involved than in most other Sims here.

Last edited by Iceblade (2015-06-20 22:51:21)

Thumbs up Thumbs down

Sounds promising I'm in

Thumbs up +1 Thumbs down

The predecessor MUSH's combat system consisted of a setup portion bringing in the various combatants. Combatants (PCs and the GM) would set their action for the next term.   These actions usually included changing combat stance, weapon, and target to attack (or to pass a round).  Order of actions would take place in a seemingly random order and damage done by another character earlier in the round would affect your result.  Combatant skills and ship stats affected a random result.  The result ranged from missing to hitting a portion of a ship with armor blunting it to lightly damaging a portion of the ship to critical damage to a portion.  One negative in this system is that it is quite possible to be wiped out in the first round of combat with armor only increasing the likelihood of an armor blunt result and there were no shields.  Another major downside was a potential to be "destroyed" or "KO'd" due to accumulated light damage to various portions of the ship including wings.

When designing this proposed sim, my first thought was simple die rolls, but that takes some of the fun out combat that the old system (negatives aside) had.  Implementing the old system is of course not feasible and would be a bit excessive for a Forum RP, so I've been developing a compromise between the two that is overall an improvement in how combat works without it being too quick or too long.

So here are some details about my combat design for comment and suggestion.

Each Ship (at least every non-capital ship) has four quadrants of armor and a shield value.  There are also area specific components that can be damaged when the corresponding armor is depleted.  Each of these components has an "hp" of 2.5.

Damage is handled by this formula with N representing the number of prior successful hits during a round:
Damage = (HitFactor)*(Weapon Penetration)*(Pilot Power Plant Damage Factor) - (Target Power Plant Damage Factor)*(Target Shields)*(0.50)^N

This method for handling shields is quite simple without having to worry about regeneration rates or tracking the shield status, but it allows for Shields to provide a useful damage reduction term.  At the same time, it takes into account multiple attackers.  This actually provides a major bonus to two player-teams (ie a pilot and his/her wingman) taking on a single target together, which is great for flight sim roleplaying.

The formula for a hitting a target with guns is based on a number of pilot and ship related terms.

GunToHit = RandomInt(-4 to 8) + Pilot Accuracy + Pilot Ship's Agility - Target Ship's Agility + Pilot's Piloting - Target's Piloting + Pilot Focus Level - Target Focus Level

Like with Damage, both ships' component damage has effects on these terms.

GunToHit should generally fall between 3 and 16.  The resultant effect is determined by the value.

5 or less - bad misses
6/7 - near hits
8/9 - glancing hits - ToHit Factor = 0.5
10/11 - a few hits - ToHit Factor = 1
12-14 - several solid hits - ToHit Factor = 2
15+ - multiple repeated hits around the same spot - ToHit Factor = 3

The roleplaying idea behind this is that guns would be fired multiple times in a round with number and directness of these playing a major role in how much damage they inflict.

Dumbfires use the same function but the thresholds are higher due to the single fire nature of the attack and how damaging weapon is.

6 or less - missed completely
7-9 - nearly hit
10-12 - glancing hit (0.5)
13-15 - direct hit (1)
16+ - direct hit on a weak point (2), always hits either the front or rear with a 30/70 chance of hitting controls/cockpit or a 50/50 chance of hitting engines/power plant

Guidance munition are rather different and more complicated.

MissToHit = RandomInt(-4 to 4) + Missile Agility - Target Ship Agility - 50% target piloting + 25% pilot piloting - target focus level + 50% pilot focus level - (Target ECM Skill)*(Missile Spoofability)

-2 or less - missile easily evaded or fails to arm
-1 or 0 - missile spoofed or loses lock
1 - explodes near target (0.5)
2 - direct hit (1)
3+ - direct hit on weak point (2), always hits either the front or rear with a 30/70 chance of hitting controls/cockpit or a 50/50 chance of hitting engines/power plant

Another detail regarding ToHit is the focus level modifier.  In combat, there are four possible stances: Normal, Cautious, Banzai, and Evasive, which result in focus levels of 0, -1, +3, and -3. These simulate how aggressive or defensive your flying is.

Last edited by Iceblade (2015-07-03 19:31:36)

Thumbs up Thumbs down

The combat system seems definitely interesting! I really hope that this proposal can gain enough players to be transformed into an actual sim!

~ksabers (SDO)

"My faith protects me. My Kevlar helps" - (Jim Butcher)

Thumbs up +1 Thumbs down

Another detail in this combat system is the ability to target particular quadrants of an enemy ship.  Normally there is a 25% chance of hitting any particular region, but if you focus on a particular area than the percentages change in the following manner:

Targeting quadrant: 30% + 10%*(piloting difference + piloting fighter agility difference)
Each Adjacent quadrant: 25% - 2.5%*(piloting difference + piloting fighter agility difference)
Opposite quadrant: 20% - 5%*(piloting difference + piloting fighter agility difference)

As you can see, it is possible for region targeting to end up being less likely to hit the intended area than if attacking randomly.  The idea here is that if the enemy is a better pilot and/or more agile, then they will be better able to present other regions to your guns than the one you are attempting to hit.  Usually, targeting will be used to focus on damaged or more sensitive portions of the target ship.  Actually, when facing a better opponent, you can use this mechanic to your advantage by attempting to go after the region on the opposite quadrant of where you want to attack.  This implies that the enemy is trying to avoid your attack on a particular area and in doing so exposes the opposite region to your guns.  So you have effectively outsmarted your enemy.

The last major portion of combat is ship damage.

Components can only be damaged when certain regions of the ship are hit.  When the armor in a region is destroyed, there is a percentage chance for certain components to be damaged by an attack in that region (either from the attack that wipes out the armor or from subsequent attacks).

Front - 40% Guns, 35% Controls, 25% Cockpit
Sides - 35% Guns, 35% Missiles, 30% Maneuvering jets
Rear - 75% Engines, 25% Power Plant

Also the effects of component damage is based on the component damaged.

* Gun Damage decreases GunToHit by a point value - in WC, gun damage results in the gun not firing every time you pull the trigger, so your gun doesn't fire when you have a perfect deflection angle or does fire as often when are on the tail of your enemy.
* Missile Damage decreases MissileToHit by a point value - this could mean the missile itself is damaged in its guidance/control system (easier to lose lock or be spoofed or end up triggering the explosion early), housing (meaning it might explode early due to heat from the propellant), or its propulsion (leaving it dead or unable to maneuver); the releasing mechanism could also be damaged preventing the missile from releasing without some quick emergency action by the pilot.
* Maneuvering jet damage reduces fighter agility by a percentage.
* Control system damage has the same effect as the above three combined.
* Cockpit damage reduces pilot skills by a factor, which is reduced again by pilot injury.
* Engine damage increases the enemies ToHit by a point value.
* Power Plant damage (the worst of the lot) reduces your shields, gun damage, and agility by a factor while increasing an enemies ToHit by a point value

The last part regarding ship damage is how you end up being knocked out of a fight.

If your power plant is destroyed, than your fighter is as well, and you eject or die (your choice).
If your cockpit is destroyed, than you will be lucky to survive with an ejection. (by the way, the ship itself will survive and can be toed back)
All of the other components can be destroyed without kicking you out of a fight, but you probably won't last for very long so RTBing is a good idea.
If you lose your M. Jets, than it will be really hard to hit anything with missiles, and guns would be near useless. Since you can't maneuver much at all you have to fly in bonzai mode (since you're are stuck flying basically straight and level as you flee). Since your agility is reduced anyway by M. Jets, the part about focus level isn't necessary.
If you lose controls, you are automatically heading out of the battle area since you can't direct the ship at all.
If you lose engines, then you are stuck in the battle zone unless you flee for multiple rounds.

The final aspect to discuss is what called are luck points.  Over the course of the sim, you will be awarded luck points (new players start with 3) that you can spend on various things.  These points simulate the sheer dumb luck that people experience on a daily basis.

In the case of a component's destruction, you can spend a luck point for it not to be destroyed (placing it at the critical damage level), but this can only be done immediately after the round you lose the component. This luckiness, however, cannot be used to save your ship in case of power plant destruction or cockpit destruction.  In fact, if your cockpit is destroyed, you have to spend a luck point to eject - if you don't have any luck points, then one will be awarded to keep your character alive. (I don't foresee this being a common occurrence)  You don't spend any luck points in order to eject upon power plant destruction.

Luck points can also be used to improve your chances of success. You can spend a luck point on evasion for one round (-2 to the focus level only while under the evasive stance, you can still attempt to attack while evading - very unlikely to succeed, though).  You can also spend a point to increase your ToHit by 5 for Dumbfires and Guns or 1.5 for Missiles for a single round.  You can even use it when treating your fighter to improve the chance of a success (or the degree of that success) in repairing your ship.

Last edited by Iceblade (2015-07-03 20:07:46)

Thumbs up Thumbs down

By the way, I intend the first session/thread to be roleplay focused (no combat), so no need to wait for the program.

Thumbs up Thumbs down

Have you posted about this on WC News?

Silent

Sent a news post to Chris Reid that I hope will peak a few people's interest. http://www.wcnews.com/chatzone/threads/ … ost-392438

Thumbs up +1 Thumbs down

Great post!

Interesting ideas for mechanics.  Just one thought:

If pilot a is three points better than pilot b, and pilot b is trying to hit the damaged sector of pilot a's ship, it seems odd that 'aiming for the wrong side' somehow automatically confuses the better pilot, and means that they present the damaged area of their ship to be shot.

Just for the sake of sounding ideas how about something like: if the aiming pilot is more skilled or equal, use the values above.  If the targeted pilot is more skilled, apply the same algebra, but the targeted pilot gets to chose the sector of their ship they are trying to present to be shot.  Perhaps reduce the skill difference by a point to avoid a massive jump in percentages.

Up to you of course, I'm just raising ideas.

Thumbs up Thumbs down

I am one of the existing/former members of the MUSH, reporting for duty.

I'm excited to get back into this.

Thumbs up +1 Thumbs down

Welcome to Phoenix!

Confirmed players are currenty Mark2287 and Ozone. I am not sure about the others, so could you please raise your hands clearly?  wink We need two other pilots to reach the four requested by Iceblade.

~ksabers (SDO)

Thumbs up Thumbs down

You can now access the Majestic environment via the wiki page: http://geminisector.wikidot.com/tcs-majestic

Also, I know we now have 4 players, just waiting on two of the them to join up.

Last edited by Iceblade (2015-07-03 05:19:23)

Thumbs up Thumbs down

Dainul wrote:

Interesting ideas for mechanics.  Just one thought:

If pilot a is three points better than pilot b, and pilot b is trying to hit the damaged sector of pilot a's ship, it seems odd that 'aiming for the wrong side' somehow automatically confuses the better pilot, and means that they present the damaged area of their ship to be shot.

Just for the sake of sounding ideas how about something like: if the aiming pilot is more skilled or equal, use the values above.  If the targeted pilot is more skilled, apply the same algebra, but the targeted pilot gets to chose the sector of their ship they are trying to present to be shot.  Perhaps reduce the skill difference by a point to avoid a massive jump in percentages.

Up to you of course, I'm just raising ideas.

Well, the idea is that the better pilot will still have a strong instinct to avoid getting hit in the area being shot at. Of course a better pilot is also much more difficult to hit in the first.  In addition, it would be easier to keep the system from getting more complex than it is.  Also even a 3 point difference would only bring the chances of getting hit in the damaged (opposite side) area up to 35%. More likely to hit, but not overwhelming in the grand scheme. Also, this mechanic would probably only be used by players and an occasional mediocre pilot who is well-led by a better pilot (like an Ace).  Most combats will have PCs vs Kilrathi or pirates who are at or below the average skill level of the PCs with an occasional ace thrown in for a challenge.

Last edited by Iceblade (2015-07-03 20:25:00)

Thumbs up Thumbs down

Iceblade wrote:

You can now access the Majestic environment via the wiki page: http://geminisector.wikidot.com/tcs-majestic

Very nice. Would you be up for doing something similar i.e. a deck listing for TCS Phoenix? I'd really appreciate it.

Iceblade wrote:

Great news! I'll set up the sim as soon as they confirm their registration!

~ksabers (SDO)

Thumbs up Thumbs down

Hey Star Rider, feel free to go ahead and craft your character here. - We'll worry about character point distribution later.

Assuming Paz joins up.  We'll have 2 Rapier pilots and 2 Stiletto pilots. There is a player Sabre squadron whose (PC or was PC at the time) CO has just recently found himself nearly killed in a strike, barely escaping via ejection (no beacon detected) and was captured by somebody (it is assumed it was cats) following subsequent wreckage examination.

Last edited by Iceblade (2015-07-09 05:25:22)

Thumbs up Thumbs down

Paz is in! ^_^

Thumbs up +1 Thumbs down

It seems to me more likely that the targeted pilot would have an instinct to not get hit in the damaged areas of his ship.If their opponent shoots up the other side of the ship, they probably wouldn't roll it over to expose their wounds.

On a different note, I do like your ideas for shields.  I was struggling to make shields work in a Savage Worlds rules set for a Mass Effect game without slowing the gameplay down terribly.  I may end up taking these rules, or something based on them.

Thumbs up +1 Thumbs down

A line of young pilots stands at attention in the recovery deck. The scarred and stern visage of Colonel Stephen Miles Taylor - aka the Meat Grinder aka the Wing Commander of 27th Air Wing - surveys his pilots; a datapad in hand.  He approaches the assembled pilots and calls out each name; turning his head to the sound of the responding voice and stares directly into that pilot's eyes before checking the name off and moving onto the next.

"2nd Lieutenant Sam "Ozone" Walsh or should I just call you Lover Boy," he calls over to Ozone.

"Captain Paz "Tizona" Ramirez," he calls next. Upon her response, he adds, "Good to have you back."

"Icemelt!... oh there you are. How's the chest?" He questions the young second lieutenant.

"Healed up enough for action, sir," 2nd Lt. Phillip Bradford responds.

"That's what I like to hear!" Taylor says before getting the next name. "1st Lieutenant James "Cutlass" Williams." No response.  "Lieutenant Williams!"

"Cutlass is stuck in medical, sir," Lt. Bradford pipes in.

"Ah, I hope it isn't anything too serious. We need all of the pilots we can get." Taylor then pauses as he sees a new face on board. "Name and Rank, pilot?" He questions the pilot who has the identifier Mark2287 hovering over his or her head.

_________

Just a bit of non-canon 4th wall fun with our characters to get us back into it.

Last edited by Iceblade (2015-07-09 21:30:47)

Thumbs up +1 Thumbs down

Hey ksabers, since we do have the site-required minimum 3 players -- plus myself and one more who will join once he's not in-and-out of the hospital (http://www.wcnews.com/chatzone/threads/ … 877/page-2) -- can you go ahead and set up the Sim? I'd like to go ahead and start laying out the foundation.

I think there will be some posts made there that might catch some interest of other Phoenix players.

Last edited by Iceblade (2015-07-10 02:10:51)

Thumbs up Thumbs down