Topic: Salvage Ship Vaco

Tyrell pulled off the massive helmet and Octavia climbed out of the salvage suit which resembled an atmospheric diving suit. She was wearing her streamlined space suit as were all the crew in the bridge.

The SS VACO had depressurised all the other decks and raised the radiation plating across all the observation ports. They had no external view nor could they risk opening a sensor port to whatever was causing this field. They were a floating box of metal in space with something attached to the four salvage pylons of the scow drifting in tow behind them.

The VACO is straining to keep control of its systems while hauling the enormous bulk derrilict that was it's prize. Trails of smoke from the radiation leak trail in their wake. Temporarily all communications and sensors are offline.

Re: Salvage Ship Vaco

Jim knew they were closing in on the Vaco and its salvage prize, and he could hardly wait to see what the salvagers had snagged.  "Let's do a commo check wi' th' Skyplex afore we git too close, sergeant", Jim said to Kristina as he sat at his controls.  They were still a good 20,000 klicks out from the target, so commo should still be clear.  He called the Dock Master's frequency specifically on a scrambled line...

="Xiurong t' Skyplex.  We're 'bout 20,000 klicks out from target an' closin' fast.  Wanted t' do a commo check t' ensure we got ye loud an' clear.  Over."=

"Let's try a'callin' th' Vaco an' see if anybody's still t'home", he said to Kristina.  "Outta be close 'nuff t' git through th' static."

- Jim Duncan

Last edited by Mike Palmer (2016-03-27 02:22:54)

Thumbs up Thumbs down

The call back from the Skyplex was  disrupted by some interference. =Copy that Xiurong, ... are coming in a little bit fuzzy but .... you. I'll let the Dockmaster .... are headed in. Good luck.=

As the little Wren moved in closer Jim could see the long battered horizontal hull of the derrilict. It reminded him of an Alliance carrier, but also of the massive hull of an ancient space ark.
-Cassie

Jim was astonished at what he was seeing, as what was before his eyes was something out of the history books... a myth told to enraptured children at story time.  Could it be that here in the tow of the tiny salvage ship was one of the great relics from Earth That Was?  He had only seen pictures of an Ark, but this had all the hallmarks that he remembered, and her gigantic bulk was breath-taking.  "Lord God hep us", he said more to himself than to Krinstina, "these here folks done snagged a prize that's gonna change history."  He paused and looked over at Kristina and then said almost in a whisper, "That there salvage looks like an Ark from Earth That Was."

- Jim Duncan

Thumbs up Thumbs down

Kristina just stared at the massive derelict, not moving a muscle or showing emotion. Inside though she was curious, curious of Ark. But not letting it be shown, because it was a soldiers duty to soldier on, and do her job. That was it... To Jim's comment she nodded her head, and looked up to the ceiling to prepare herself.

"It very well could be."

-Kristina

"I know what you're thinking. "Did he fire six shots or only five?" Well to tell you the truth in all this excitement I kinda lost track myself. But being this is a .44 Magnum, the most powerful handgun in the world and would blow you head clean off, you've gotta ask yourself one question: "Do I feel lucky?" Well, do ya, punk?" -Harry Callahan

Hi, I'm from Detroit! (Yes it did suck)

Thumbs up Thumbs down

"Let's see if them folks 'er awake", Jim said as he warmed up the Comm system. 

="Vaco this is transport Xiurong out of Greenleaf Skyplex.  So ye read me? Over."=

Given that Scarlett has said that the ship and/or its salvage was emitting possible radiation, Jim activated his ships sensors to detect any type of radiation so that they didn't wander into a bad situation.  "Do ye have a vacc suit rated agin radiation, sergeant?", he asked Kristina.  "If not, I got a couple o' heavy salvage suits in th' forward hold that'll do th' trick."

- Jim Duncan

Thumbs up Thumbs down

No response was forth coming. Additionally, the Xiurong's sensors were growing fuzzy. Whatever was putting out the static was doing a solid job of it.
-GM

"I'm gonna take us 'round that salvage a'fore we try t' contact th' Vaco agin.  Let's git in th' heavy salvage suits jest in case th' radiation ain't good fer us", Jim said to Kristina.  He led the sergeant down to a hatch which led from the small cabin into the cargo pod attached to the ship's arms.  The pod was full of equipment of all kinds, which would allow machining as well as other work.  It was a mini-workshop for Duncan, and one of which he was very proud.  He led Kristina up to two heavy looking vacc suits resting in wall racks, and began getting his suit on.  "It ain't hard", he offered with a smile, "jest like a regular vacc suit 'cept it has a lot more beef t' it."

- Jim

Thumbs up Thumbs down

"I've not worn a vacc suit in forever, but I will be needing one of yours. Wasn't told I'd need one, so i didn't bring my security suit. Rather embarrassing if I'm honest." Kristina said as she took in the room, before following the chief's example and began putting on the other suit.

"Reminds me of anti boarding training back in School of Infantry"

-Kristina

"I know what you're thinking. "Did he fire six shots or only five?" Well to tell you the truth in all this excitement I kinda lost track myself. But being this is a .44 Magnum, the most powerful handgun in the world and would blow you head clean off, you've gotta ask yourself one question: "Do I feel lucky?" Well, do ya, punk?" -Harry Callahan

Thumbs up Thumbs down

Jim smiled at the sergeant's admission on vacc suits.  "Ain't no big deal, sergeant", he said reassuringly, "Ye'll git it in no time.  Jest 'member yer air's in th' tanks on yer back, so try not t' let 'em git damaged.  These here suits are jim dandies, an' even has power assists fer strength an' movement, an' actions wi' yer hands an' arms.  If'n ye spring a leak an' start t' lose air, jest holler at me, or if'n we don't have comm, use th' motion fer chokin'."

Jim continued to encase himself in his suit.  "Truth be known, these ain't ordinary heavy vacc suits... I got 'em right after th' War an' modified 'em.  They were used fer marine boardin' parties, so they's armored as hell, but don't tell no body."  He winked at Kristina.  "Got nice articulated hands an' fingers, too, unlike the standard commercial suits.  Ye'll have no problemo usin' yer firearm, if'n it comes t' that."  He stood behind Kristina and checked her suit, straightening and adjusted it to fit her better.  "If'n ye git used t' th' controls, these here suits have enhanced viewin'... infra red an' magnification, too."

He stood back and looked at his partner approvingly, then said, "Hell's belles, sergeant.  Look's like ye been wearin' one of these fer years."  He grabbed his helmet and headed back up to the command deck, and took his seat at the controls.  "Most important o' all fer us t'day... these here suits are proof agin radiation, so if'n yer internal alarm start's a'soundin', let me know asap.  Oh yeah, jest in case ye do spring a leak, we got slap patches in th' cargo pouch on yer legs."

With his piece said, he looked at the sergeant and asked, "Any questions?"

- Jim Duncan

Last edited by Mike Palmer (2016-04-02 01:01:02)

Thumbs up Thumbs down

Kristina nodded along with Jim as he went, pulling off her duster before putting on the suit, setting it in a neat pile along with her shotgun as the heavy vac suit went on. Finishing before she brass checked her shotgun.

"No questions. Let's do this"

-Kristina

Thumbs up Thumbs down

Kristina wore the vacc suit just as intended... she was a natural.  "Lookin' good sarge", he said with a grin.

Jim turned and used the Cortex while they were still out a ways from the salvage ship, to pull up any information and schematics on Earth That Was Arks.  Then they'd know if the prize being towed was an actual Ark, or something else altogether.  "Let's us see if'n we can pull any info on that rascal", he said to Kristina.

The engineer then  tried to communicate with the Vaco once more before they closed with the salvage ship and its prize to have a look.

="Salvage ship Vaco, this is transport Xiurong out of Greenleaf Skyplex.  Do ye read me?  Over."=

Again turning to Kristina, he said calmly, ''We'll do a fly by an' take a good look at whatever it is they're haulin' around."  He watched the Geiger readings as they closed with the salvage ship and its prize.

- Jim Duncan

Thumbs up Thumbs down

Raj wrote:

"Bad move Two", Logan sat back in chair, "Everyone in the damn system knows we are somewhere in this sector. Maybe we are hidden from sensors? That is a huge maybe!! But we are a fraking haulage scow in space travelling at turtle speed. Someone will find us in less than 44 hours. We could have waited I would have!!!!"

"Actually to be precise its 43 hours 39 minutes", Krombeck glanced at the computer model of distance speed and ETA to Greenleaf. He had loaded his PDA with information on Greenleaf recreational areas and tourist information brochure from old back-up server.

"Shut it Four. Give it a rest with the countdown.", Logan frustrated with the whole situation. Risk after risk after risk and no closer to his real dream. He looked at the weapons readout and all offline warning messages because all the weapons ports were unloaded and sealed. Stupid bitch is going to get us all killed.

"I am acting captain. I make the decisions now.", Octavia glanced around all the faces on the bridge. "We need to get this salvage in and stake our claim or its over for us. That is all that matters right now. All or nothing we all agreed to that. We have sacrificed too much already as a crew and I am not making that mistake again."

"Excuse me Octavia but Edward wants to see you in his room", Jodelle took Octavia by the hand as she saw her familiar wave of pain over her face anytime he thought of him.

-SS VACO Deck 1 Bridge

Octavia slowly walked into the Captain's room. The room used to have the presence of nobility; a room owned by a former Companion. Now all the furniture had been removed and something feral in nature had taken his place.

-Octavia Jones "Two"

Thumbs up Thumbs down

Octavia walked into the space that was once Edward's room. She focused herself and held back her emotions as she walked past the black thick curtains and inside the domicile of someone, or something different. It is believed by most of the 'verse to be people that went insane at the edge of space become savage. They stared into the void beyond and became what they saw: nothing. They gave into their primal nature and all that was civilized was discarded. For Edward something else happen after being exposed to the ionising radiation that destroyed his eyes and his body. The primal nature became a new way of feeling the universe.

Seer sat in the darkness waiting for her

-Octavia Jones "Two" / Edward The Seer "One"

Last edited by Raj (2016-04-05 14:36:54)

Thumbs up Thumbs down

"Sit Octavia. I have something for you", Seer said as he gestured too her.

"I have made a sketch of what I feel is outside. I can sense it attached to the arms of our ship. Its size and shape. I know the stories and the folklore."
Seer pulled out a drawing of something he had seen from his past. He presented Octavia a companion trained artistic depiction of an Ark. With the Vaco a insignificant portion in comparison to the vast size of this.

"This would have been useful before we attempted a blind salvage run on something we floated into", Two stated as she looked at the hard angles on the Ark's hull design,"We damaged the number 3 salvage pylon possibility on this tangent. We cannot detach even if we wanted too. That part of the Ark's hull is stuck on our salvage arm. No telling what damaged it caused."

-Octavia Jones "Two"/ The Seer "One"

Last edited by Raj (2016-04-06 07:33:12)

Thumbs up Thumbs down

Jim turned to Kristina and said, "Well, if'n they're alive, they ain't sayin' nuthin'.  So let's us have a look see at what they're carryin' t' Greenleaf."  The engineer used the ship's sensors as well as their eyesight to try and "see" what Vaco was latched on to, and used the Cortex information on Arks to add to their perspective.  He kept a watchful eye on the Geiger reading to ensure they were not being exposed to radiation.  "If'n its really an Ark, th' Alliance'll be all over this like stink on s..., beg yer pardon sergeant.  The Alliance'll take over an' that'll be th' end of it."

- Jim Duncan

Thumbs up Thumbs down

OOC - Checking in to avoid AWOL status.

- Mike tpo Jim

Thumbs up Thumbs down

OOC - Checking in to avoid AWOL status.

- Mike tpo Jim

Thumbs up Thumbs down

Sensors were proving useless due to whatever was emenating from the large derrilict hulk. The Cortex was slow and files had difficulty loading, but an entry on the ancient Space Arks that carried man kind from Earth that was did manage to come up. Far from a definitive study of the subject, the file explained how mankind having used up their native world, pooled their global resources from their dying world to construct 12 massive generation ships,each carrying refugees of earth and botanical seed and livestock to colonize appropriate world's they were yet to discover. Of these space going giants, only 9 reported to arrive in the verse as mankind came to know, split between the solar systems of the white,red and blue suns. The nine hadmostly been canibalized for parts to build their colonies. The most complete Ark, Prometheus, was found on the grounds of the University of New Parison Bernadette. The lost three had been claimed by the black, removed from history humanity had come to know. They were Daedelus, Orion and Apollo.

With no radio comm traffic in response to their message on approach, and sensors malfunctioning as they closed with the large hulk, Jim said, "Well, sergeant, no surprise here.  That hulk is emanatin' some kinda interference an' scramblin' sensors.  We'll jest have t' take a fly by an' look fer ourselves.  Shiny?"

Jim set a course to pass by the length of the derelict and used spot lamps to illuminate part of the hull as they passed.  He then said, "Keep yer eyes peeled fer any sign o' damage, or an impact site, plus any writin' on th' hull.  We'll see if'n we kin figure out what and who she used to be."

- Jim Duncan

Thumbs up Thumbs down

The tiny Wren class ship gracefully drifted along the length of the colossus. The small searchlight illuminated a tiny disk on the immense dark hull. A full three minutes passed as they traversed from one end to the other. The view was fascinating and inspiring, sadly the ship's cameras were not recording what they saw with their own eyes. Interference from the energy field left nothing but dead air. Upon reaching the end of the ship one thing was clear, this was only part of a once great ship. The apparent stern of the ship holding it's vast fusion engines was gone, and by the looks of the tattered and scarred hull, whatever happened was explosive.

During the traverse Jim could make out the numers 0655, and a blue flag with a planet framed in branches. They had not uncovered a name to the vessel as yet.
-GM

"Jumpin' horny toads", Jim uttered as they completed their first pass along the derelict, "that's a whopper!"  As he assessed the hull damage, he postulated, "Looks like she had a catastrophic explosion astern.  Maybe a power overload cooked off her drives an' blew th' whole dad-blamed stern clean off?"  He looked over at Kristina to get her reaction.

- Jim

Last edited by Mike Palmer (2016-04-26 04:06:04)

Thumbs up Thumbs down

If Kristina had been showing anything, it would be surprise. The ship was huge, and it would take a massive weapon to do some damage that big to it. She also noted the flag, and if she'd had her notebook. Would've written something down about it.

"It would certainly seem so Chief"

-Kristina

Thumbs up Thumbs down

"Any thoughts on that flag we saw?", Jim asked as the big ship continued passing along in front of them.  It was not immediately familiar to the engineer.  "Let's make a pass along th' top side o' this here derelict an' see if'n we kin spot an access point.  Gotta be a hatch t' git inside somewhere or t'other."  He maneuvered the little Wren so that they came up on what apparently was the top of the devastated ship, so they started back from the remainder of the stern back toward the bow.

- Jim

Thumbs up Thumbs down

The top of the derrilict was in mostly the same condition as the side had been, intact, but aged. A couple potential ports were visible in their pass, two amidship on each side of the top deck and one well forward, most likely nearer where someone would put a command deck, if things like this had one.