Re: Salvage Ship Vaco

As the topside half of the huge vessel passed below them, Jim spotted a couple of likely access points.  "What'd ye say we check out that forward hatch thar an' see what we kin find?", he asked his partner Kristina.  "Hate t' git all dressed up like this an' have no where t' go", he added with a sly smile. "You game?"

They still had received no reply from the Vaco as they considered their move.

- Jim Duncan

Thumbs up Thumbs down

"Well it is my job to accompany you Chief" Kris said as she checked her weapon for the hundredth time dressed up in the heavy boarding gear. Being somewhat uncomfortable as she moved her shoulders about, reminding herself again why she'd made it to recon training as quickly as possible. The claustrophobia of a ship and the ever looming threat of the vacuum scared her to no end.

"Let's do this. Quickly"

-Kristina

"I know what you're thinking. "Did he fire six shots or only five?" Well to tell you the truth in all this excitement I kinda lost track myself. But being this is a .44 Magnum, the most powerful handgun in the world and would blow you head clean off, you've gotta ask yourself one question: "Do I feel lucky?" Well, do ya, punk?" -Harry Callahan

Hi, I'm from Detroit! (Yes it did suck)

Thumbs up Thumbs down

Noting her nervousness, Jim tried to mitigate her concerns.  "Don't you fret none 'bout bein' in the Black, sergeant", he said calmly, "I'll hook us up a safety line 'tween both vessels, and one fer ye t' be attached t; th' ship hersef, an' we'll go over just as safe an' easy as a babe in arms."  Jim moved the ship closer to the derelict's access point for a closer physical examination, and set the Xiurong into a stable, geosynchronous position.  "Ok sergeant, let's go shoot over a tether line an' set up our EVA run".  With his ship position stable, Jim got up and headed for the air lock, and motioned Kristina to follow.  I'm gonna pop the hacrh, hook m'sef up to a tether an' push off fer the derelict, usin' minimal booster shots from the EVA gear.  Once I git over thar, I'll attach the line to connect both ships, an' we'll git ye over thar.  Shiny?"

- Jim

Thumbs up Thumbs down

The small craft drifted just above the hatch of the ancient vessel. It would be a fairly simple and short jaunt across to attach docking lines and extended the coupling tunnel.
-GM

After making the Wren class ship draw close to the hull of the derelict, Jim made sure the tiny craft was moored and locked the mooring tunnel to the other hull, and turned off the exterior lights of his own ship and powered down, so that it wouldn't draw attention of anyone passing by.

"Ready t' take a walk back 500 years?", he asked Kristina.  "Then let's git 'er done."  The engineer attempted to cycle the derelict's hatch open to access its interior.  With tool kit in over his shoulder, and a quick prayer to God, Jim began to open the hatch and see what was beyond.

- Jim

Thumbs up Thumbs down

"I'm ready" Kristina said as she finished suiting up, taking a few breaths as she followed Jim to the hatch, letting out a silent gasp as she looked at the ship. History in the making she thought, and here she was. A security officer...

-Kristina

"I know what you're thinking. "Did he fire six shots or only five?" Well to tell you the truth in all this excitement I kinda lost track myself. But being this is a .44 Magnum, the most powerful handgun in the world and would blow you head clean off, you've gotta ask yourself one question: "Do I feel lucky?" Well, do ya, punk?" -Harry Callahan

Thumbs up Thumbs down

Jim propelled himself over to the derelict and grabbed a hand hold on the exterior near the hatch, and then turned on his external suit lights.  He turned and beckoned to Kristina and prepared to catch her if she fumbled.  This was a major move for anyone not used to an EVA activity, so he said "I've got you covered", and exaggerated the mouthing of the words in the event the suit comms were not working.  He then stood ready to catch her when she made the leap of faith.

- Jim

Thumbs up Thumbs down

Kristina paused a moment, and then jumped. Thinking to herself. just like riding a bike as she went through the black floating along as she closed in on the chief. Thinking, it was kind of nice... Besides the suit potentially falling apart and all other manner of things.

It was amazing that she didn't panic.

-Kris

Thumbs up Thumbs down

When Kristina arrived at the access port to the derelict, Jim smiled at her and looked her in the eyes, saying, "Good job sarge.  That's weren't so tough, was it?"  He turned his attention back to the airlock hatch and examined the mechanism to open the hatch.  There would probably not be any power to cycle the hatch electrically, so he looked for a manual control.

- Jim

Thumbs up Thumbs down

"Certainly not as tough as crawling through six different planets on your stomach with a .300 rifle. " Kristina shot back as she stretched. getting ready to enter the access hatch. "I'd like to get inside of there, and once you open it. I'll go first, check to see if it was clear. And then wave you in"

This was like boarding drills all over again. She remembered doing those with one Sergeant Bjornsson... She wondered what happened to her, before snapping back to the current reality.

-Kris

Last edited by Ironette (2016-05-08 22:45:07)

Thumbs up Thumbs down

The hatch mechanism was beyond archaic, however that also made the technology fairly simple to understand. An emergency access port was labeled just to the side of the hatch. Under the panel was a lever and crank, as well as a large pull down switch labeled 'emergency' and 'explosive'.
-GM

Jim looked at the hatch controls to make certain he wouldn't trigger the explosive bolts, and accessed the lever and hand crank.  He applied himself to open the hatch, and hoped that the airlock inside was closed.

- Jim

Thumbs up Thumbs down

The lever stubbornly refused to move due to centuries of disuse in deep space. With considerable effort he slowly began to feel it give way. The crank turned slowly, but after a great deal of cranking, the hatch began to slide apart. A sudden breath of dust and ice expelled into the black. While not revealing what lay behind, it was evidence that at least the airlock still held pressure.
-GM

Jim continued to crank the airlock open, and carefully looked inside before entering.  With great care he pulled himself inside, and noted of there was any artificial gravity operating.  When he had ensured that the airlock was safe, he motioned for the sergeant to follow him inside.

- Jim

Thumbs up Thumbs down

Kris followed Jim in, activating her gun mounted flashlight as she went through the door. Settling in and waiting for him to pressurize the airlock. keeping her weapon trained towards the door, even if she hadn't much else to do.

"I'm ready for some stale air. How about you?"

-Kris

Thumbs up Thumbs down

"Works for me... breathin' air from Earth that Was... not somethin' ye git t' do everyday", Jim said as he turned and smiled at her.  He found the airlock controls inside, then cranked the outer door shut.  Once that hatch was properly closed again, he went over to the airlock to the interior of the ship, and gazed through the small window into the interior of the derelict to try and see if the inside was blocked.  He suspected the power to the controls would be nil, but he checked anyway.

- Jim

Thumbs up Thumbs down

Dark. Some call a stroll in the moonlight dark. This was something else. The interior of the craft was devoid of all light, silent and dark as a tomb. Jim couldn't see further than the suits lights illuminated. Even this felt the weight of darkness threatening to snuff it out. What Jim could see wasn't much. A layer of settled dust covered everything. The space beyond the airlock appeared structurally solid, but rubble and litter was strewn about the limited space. The contour in the door panels were unresponsive, but a maitenance hatch was just off to the side of the panel.
-GM

Jim put his helmet in contact with Kristina's and looked directly into her eyes, then said, "Everythin' looks okay, jest no power in thar.  I'm gonna cycle this hatch open."  With that, Jim turned back to the maintenance hatch and opened it up to see if he could get the hatch open.  He was dying to get inside and be the first person in hundreds of years to actively walk those halls.

- Jim

Thumbs up Thumbs down

Kris just stared back at Jim before smiling and quipping. "Normally you'll have to take me to dinner first" She knew what of course he meant, but she wanted to have a bit of fun.

"So no breathing stale air then? I thought most ships had redundant airlock systems so they could function without power?"

-Kris

OOC: I'm probably super wrong about this, but every spaceship in sci fi always seems to have a working airlock, without power... Although, you may actually be cycling us through, and my brain's slowly turning into a potato so I don't know...

OOC Part 2: Oh, also I don't portray this very well over text, but Kristina speaks with this thick Scottish accent

Last edited by Ironette (2016-05-10 04:19:55)

Thumbs up Thumbs down

OOC - I love a Scottish brogue!  No idea about whether there ios gravity and/or breathable air inside the dereloct, but we'll find out soon.

IC - Jim chuckled at Kristina's quip as he struggled to get the inside air lock open.

- Jim

Thumbs up Thumbs down

With some work adjusting to the differences in modern and centuries old spacecraft, Jim was able to get the interior hatch open. As he forced the doors apart he could see the cramped cooridor came to a T intersection running forward and backward in the ship. The hallway was only about 7 feet in height and five wide. These old generational ships were not built for excess comfort. A cloud of dust formed about his foot as he stepped back in time.
-GM

OOC - Is there gravity in the ship?  If so, some of her equipment is still working...  If there is no gravity, we will avoid the dust and debris on the deck plate and pull ourselves along by handrails.

- Jim

Thumbs up Thumbs down

OOC: No gravity at the moment. Not saying there can't be, just saying there isnt.
-GM

Jim checked his Geiger counter to see what, if any, radiation was being emitted inside the hull.  He didn't want to expose them unnecessarily, and he also checked their air supply levels.  No need to discover something shiny inside the derelict  if you were dead from lack of air or radiation poisoning.  The engineer floated into the hallway and let his lights shine ahead of him.  He looked for any diagrams or signs on the bulkheads to give him an idea of where he was and where he was heqaded.

- Jim

Thumbs up Thumbs down

The Geiger counter wavered heavily showing a legitimate amount of radiation within the vessel. It was within tolerance limits of the EVA suits.

As Jim scanned the halls, there was not immediate direction signs, albeit, the cooridor was number coded as Deck 1 Section 12. He could see a dark mass ahead of him down the hall in the direction of where he would expect a bridge.

-GM