Topic: A capital suggestion, old chaps?

I say, good fellows, would you be interested in a revival of a game covering the activities of a motley collection of ladies and gentlemen in Edwardian England?

Re: A capital suggestion, old chaps?

My dear fellow, that might be a right good show, even if we do have to allow those blasted Yanks in.

I was going to say something British, and it was going to be great. But I've forgotten.... So

I'd say it'd be a great show.

Thumbs up +1 Thumbs down

What did you have in mind Silent?

- Mike

Thumbs up Thumbs down

This isn't the pulp game you were suggesting a while back is it?

Thumbs up Thumbs down

Mike Palmer wrote:

What did you have in mind Silent?

- Mike

I'll give you the description from the original thread:

It is April 1909. William Taft is President of the United States, Herbert Henry Asquith is Prime Minister of Great Britain and Ireland.

It's an increasingly turbulent world. Germany and Britain are engaged in a naval arms race and the Balkans are getting tense. David Lloyd George is about to unveil a Budget that will start a constitutional crisis; the Irish want Home Rule.

In a world that is seemingly heading for the brink, it is no surprise that London's upper classes want somewhere to escape.

The Drake Club offers that place; a chance to relax, eat fine food and play bridge. All for a monthly fee of three pounds.

As well as solve dastardly mysteries.

Grab your cane and your top hat... it's going to be absolutely ace!

In short, a Sherlock Holmes-esque thriller set in the early 20th century with a lot of humour, a bit like Alycidon with much lower tech... in fact we might have some called Beeching there.

Or a maid called Vera.

Did this sim ever run Silent?  It sounds interesting...

- Mike

Thumbs up Thumbs down

Mike Palmer wrote:

Did this sim ever run Silent?  It sounds interesting...

- Mike

It did, although admittedly not for long. This time should be better.

How do we generate characters sir?

- Mike

Thumbs up Thumbs down

Is there room for a hostess type character who works at the Club and gets drawn into the shenanigans?

http://oi40.tinypic.com/t8uufd.jpg
"If you live in the UK, dial 999. If you live in the USA, dial 911. If you're from another country... SO SORRY."

Thumbs up Thumbs down

Mike Palmer wrote:

How do we generate characters sir?

- Mike

Capital question! I'd like to know myself.

Me three.

"I know what you're thinking. "Did he fire six shots or only five?" Well to tell you the truth in all this excitement I kinda lost track myself. But being this is a .44 Magnum, the most powerful handgun in the world and would blow you head clean off, you've gotta ask yourself one question: "Do I feel lucky?" Well, do ya, punk?" -Harry Callahan

Hi, I'm from Detroit! (Yes it did suck)

Thumbs up Thumbs down

Once the game is restored, I'll set up a thread there, but in the meantime, I would want character ideas as if someone was writing a personal reference for them i.e. to get them admitted as members or staff at the club. Any details that would not be public knowledge should be sent by PM.

@ SoapyMac: A chambermaid of some form would definitely be welcome.

Okay, can do... have you ever seen or heard of the RPG called Space 1889?

- Mike

Last edited by Mike Palmer (2016-04-11 22:32:36)

Thumbs up Thumbs down

I had a copy of Space:1889. Fun game.

Silent, are you looking for something like the item below?

Dear Members of the Board,

Pursuant to the last meeting, I wish to recommend my nephew, Lieutenant Peregrine North, for membership.

Lieutenant North served in the recent dust up with the Boers down in southern Africa. He's a good fellow, if a bit impetuous. He also has a way with the ladies, which may be a detriment.

Regards,
Sir Percy Smith-Smythe-Smith
5 Malthouse Close
London

Excellent. That's what I'm looking for. I'd also suggest a physical description as well in a separate bit.

I'm thinking of moving the game's setting forward to 1913 i.e. just before the war, as I have the June 1913 Bradshaw's reprint for details of spas, train journeys etc. in Europe; we won't be entirely in the UK.

Okay, how about a retired American naval officer?  Can the Yanks get in as members?

- Mike

Thumbs up Thumbs down

Mike Palmer wrote:

Okay, how about a retired American naval officer?  Can the Yanks get in as members?

- Mike

I think old Percy could be imposed upon to write a recommendation. smile Perhaps they met during the American Civil War?

Silent Hunter wrote:

Excellent. That's what I'm looking for. I'd also suggest a physical description as well in a separate bit.

I'm thinking of moving the game's setting forward to 1913 i.e. just before the war, as I have the June 1913 Bradshaw's reprint for details of spas, train journeys etc. in Europe; we won't be entirely in the UK.

Good idea. That would also give more plot possibilities - could go with a 39 Steps scenario, for instance.

Mike Palmer wrote:

- Mike

Yes, any nationality is allowed of all genders.

Last edited by Silent Hunter (2016-04-17 12:32:43)

If we're still doing this. I believe I've got a member all done up. One Sir Edward "Ned" Frostwood, veteran of the Boer Wars, of Belfast, and Perhaps at one point, the African and Middle Eastern Theatres of the Great War.

Thumbs up Thumbs down

The First World War hasn't started yet in this game; what would he have done in Belfast, may I ask? There was IRA activity at the time.

Oh I meant in the future he might distinguish himself. And he would be cracking down on the IRA in Belfast

Thumbs up Thumbs down

CarlosBeLoLo wrote:

Oh I meant in the future he might distinguish himself. And he would be cracking down on the IRA in Belfast

I've had an idea; perhaps he's working with Special Branch to monitor Irish Republican Brotherhood activity in London... perhaps a member of the club is sympathising with them...

- Silent

I'd be excited to get my Peaky Blinders on.

Thumbs up +2 Thumbs down