Topic: New Fast-Paced Firefly Sim

Over 10 years ago, I started a Firefly sim known as the Prinz Eugen, based on a very active posting rate and an active plot line for mercs predominantly in the Rim.  This sim was rated as the best and most active sim each of the five years the sim operated on the AJJE Games site.  When we opened Phoenix games about five years ago, I moved the sim here under the name Atlantis, but had to leave the sim after over a year due to Real Life issues. It continues to run to this day under the command of new sim owner James M.

For months now I have been watching sim activity levels and reading about the frustration players both old and new have been experiencing with the very slow posting rate of Phoenix sims.  We are having trouble getting and keeping new players, and the site is slowly drying up.  I know I am frustrated with waiting weeks sometimes for a new post that allows me to continue with a sim plot line.  I also know that Real Life (RL) can sometimes get in the way, but it must not be a regular occurrence.  If this site is going to thrive, we have to do better than a 14 to 30+ day response time in our posts.

With that preamble said, I am proposing to start a new Firefly sim which will be action oriented and will bring back Captain Gunther Lindemann to hire a crew of skilled and stalwart men and women to go forth in an entirely new ship.  I will ask and require my players to post at least once every three days to keep the story flowing, and AWOL limits will be strictly enforced.  If players have an event arise which requires time away from active play, they must be considerate of fellow players, announcing and placing themselves on LOA (Leave of Absence) status.  This is the way it worked in the old Prinz Eugen, and I had as many as 15-20 active players involved in the plot line at any given time.

Okay, with all that said… I want to ask if I have any players interested in joining my proposed new sim?  I need to know up front, as the set-up is hard work and I need to know I have a player base that will stay true before I invest this time and effort.  If a three day posting restriction is too tough on players, we might move it back to five days for rank and file players, but that will be the slowest I would ever consider running in a sim.  All officer positions will be required to maintain posting at the three day maximum rate.  The Prinz Eugen used three days and it worked very well.

So, are there any interested Firefly players, or would-be Firefly players who would agree to join and serve?  Step up and sound off…

Mike Palmer
Tpo Captain Gunther Lindemann

Last edited by Mike Palmer (2016-04-23 23:32:36)

Thumbs up Thumbs down

Re: New Fast-Paced Firefly Sim

I have several Firefly characters I could bring, if you'll have us.

http://oi40.tinypic.com/t8uufd.jpg
"If you live in the UK, dial 999. If you live in the USA, dial 911. If you're from another country... SO SORRY."

Thumbs up Thumbs down

I think you are dead on about the need for faster moving rpgs. I was hoping that Twilight 2000 game would have gotten off the ground but it's quite apparent nothing is going to happen there so I might as well join a Firefly game. Loved that show!

With the exception of an occasional out of state trip, where I don't take along my computer, I can easily do the minimum 1 post in 3 days.

Frankly if people can't do that, then they shouldn't join! 

So with Soapy, you've got two volunteers now. big_smile

Thumbs up Thumbs down

Make that three. smile This would be a new merc ship right?

Last edited by Silent Hunter (2016-04-24 17:16:12)

I wouldn't mind...more towards the leaning to 3-5 days, myself. But that's because of having a newborn, 2 teens, and wild child who fights over doing homework.

What's the sim synopsis? (before I give a definite answer)

Yep, synopsis might be a good idea! I didn't know it was going to be a merc ship? I assumed (yeah foolish me) that it was going to be a freighter like the Firefly show....ergo Firefly game.

Thumbs up Thumbs down

I'm game.

Okay, we have at least five players who are willing to consider this sim, so I will proceed to locate a ship deck plan and a description for the players.  This is another chapter in the Gunther Lindemann adventures, but it will not be on the same large scale as the Prinz Eugen.  That was a ship designed for up to 30 active players; this one will be scaled down to no more than 10 players.

After a leave of absence from Galactic affairs and active ship command (allowing him to recover from torture by the Alliance), Gunther Lindemann has used his money and his connections to obtain a surplus vessel and get her refitted as a mercenary trouble shooter and trader.  All positions are open:  Pilot, Engineer, Gunner, Doctor/Medic, Skiff Pilot/Merc, up to five Mercs.

Ruled will be: Serenity RPG, 2005.

As many of you know, I am probably the least skilled player in Phoenix when it comes to tech matters, so bear with me as I prepare a ship and its history.  I know exactly what I want, but I have to find a way to make it happen.  Please be patient, my friends.

We are GO for new sim prep...

- Mike

Thumbs up Thumbs down

Mike, I am at your disposal for any assistance, discussion and technical wizardry you might require. I'm inclined to grab the pilot's seat again if you please. I'll spin up a new character for the sim.
-Kevin
[email protected]

Last edited by Zuzutoo (2016-04-26 03:53:31)

I appreciate the offer of assistance, Kevin, and will have some deck plans and a ship's image pretty soon, I hope.  This time I'm going to try and use some existing art and deck plans that have already been done to save time, money and effort.  I just need to write the artists for permission to use their work.

You are hereby officially confirmed as pilot.  Since there seems to be a critical shortage of GMs at the moment, I guess I'll have to serve in that capacity unless a volunteer steps forward.  At this point, I believe we'll start on Persephone...

Amendment to crew roster: there will be two gunner positions on the ship.

- Mike

Thumbs up Thumbs down

Can I try joining, Mike?

Thumbs up Thumbs down

Can I call dibs on the engineer please?

Absolutely Krista!  Positions are assigned on a first come basis, so if you have a particular job in mind, best to say so asap.  Kevin has already taken the pilot's slot, and Silent has dibs on the ships engineer, but there are eight more jobs still open: 2 x ship's gunners/space hands, 1 x doctor/medic, 1 x skiff pilot/merc, 4 x mercenaries.

FYI to all prospective players, Gunther will conduct job interviews on Persephone, where you can present your characters for employment.  As I will be GMing this sim, Captain Lindemann will play a much more passive role in ship ops to allow the players to interact more freely.  The CO will provide guidance and the crew will execute.  The XO will be chosen later after all the characters have interviewed, but this will all come out in the process.  Please be thinking about the character you want to play, as I will start the interviews as soon as you all declare your intents.

Feel free to ask any questions...

- Mike

Last edited by Mike Palmer (2016-04-26 20:28:22)

Thumbs up Thumbs down

Thanks Silent... you are now the engineer.  :-)

My text above was amended right after I posted it.

- Mike

Thumbs up Thumbs down

Hey Misty, how do I go about getting the sim set up within the Firefly Game Zone?  What do you need from me so that I can provide it to you asap?  Please advise...

- Mike

Thumbs up Thumbs down

Name, CO and GM. That's about it, I think.

I'm a bit slow on the character creating at the moment, but I will attempt!

Sim Name: Kestrel
CO: Captain Gunther Lindemann
GM: Mike Palmer

BTW, the rule book allows players to take up to five points of character Assets, as long as you take an equal number of points of Complications.  This is okay with me and I'll allow that.  Just remember if it's something that the other players won't know about, don't post it openly on your character sheet.  Send it to me with a full character sheet when the time comes.  In game Gunther won't know it either...

Also, the rules allow players to choose the number of character points they have to work with as they generate their characters, so please feel free to choose the level you wish.  Greenhorn, Veteran or Big Damn Hero.  Make your character someone you will enjoy playing, and then figure out your back story for the rest of us so we know who you are in game.  Remember, don't post anything you don't want everyone else to know, unless it's obvious (like you only have one eye).

This is going to be fun guys!

Mike

Thumbs up Thumbs down

I have not played the RPG game and have no idea about character points, assets, complications, etc.

Also are those slots written in stone? What about someone who is ...say...a ship's cook or an electronics tech? Or could that be one of the four mercs?

I have a char concept I have played in another Firefly game but so far I'm not sure there is a fitting slot for that charrie.

Thumbs up Thumbs down

Merc

Thumbs up Thumbs down

You might see if you can locate a used rule book, as they are a super reference.  Amazon shows them available for $16.98.  The ISBN is 1-931567-50-6.  When your character interviews, you might try for Steward/Chef, as this will be a useful position for the crew.

- Mike

Thumbs up Thumbs down

I can't find any ebook version...

Thumbs up Thumbs down

I don't really want to spend money on a book to play in an online rpg, sorry!

One of the great things about online rpgs is they are free!

Thumbs up Thumbs down

No problem on the RPG manual issue.  I was just making you all aware of the source book I plan to use, and allow you to access the special options available for new characters.  It's a wealth of information on the Firefly universe and comes in handy.  If you don't wish to make the investment, that's fine.  I've never penalized anyone yet for not having the manual.

- Mike

Thumbs up Thumbs down

Mike Palmer wrote:

Sim Name: Kestrel
CO: Captain Gunther Lindemann
GM: Mike Palmer

Mike

Ready for set up, then?

Good to hear, Mike!  big_smile

I am going to be gone on an out of state trip until Sunday but will try and get a char to you early next week.

Thumbs up Thumbs down