Re: General Coordinator and Technical Coordinator Elections 2016

It does! It does! First off I would like to hear from the candidates what you feel is the greatest asset of Phoenix Roleplaying, and how can we maximize it's effect for Phoenix?

Phoenix's greatest asset? I believe that to be the members, the roleplayers we have here. The tricky part of that as my answer is how the second question. How can we maximize people, aka members? The only thing that comes to my mind is to utilize those that we have here that want to help Phoenix. That want to make sure our RP home here thrives for many more years. Sometimes the same old, same old doesn't work....there are plenty of folks here that I know (and hope) would help, if they were just asked.

Misty

Good answer Misty.

Thumbs up Thumbs down

I'll echo that the membership is Phoenix's best asset - in my view, the best way to maximise its effect is to expand it. Casting our net further in finding new members and making it easier for them to jump in on day one are, in my view, the way to achieve that. We're pretty good at the latter, but I'm sure we can do even better!

This has been a hard question to answer. But uh, i think I can.

I believe Phoenix's Greatest Asset is just how patient, and understanding it's members are and it's diversity in it's games.

I wish to try to optimize this by perhaps implementing policies towards keeping our games alive. Maybe a two GM policy so that if one is unable to keep up the stories, another one can step up and continue them.

-Rebecca

"I know what you're thinking. "Did he fire six shots or only five?" Well to tell you the truth in all this excitement I kinda lost track myself. But being this is a .44 Magnum, the most powerful handgun in the world and would blow you head clean off, you've gotta ask yourself one question: "Do I feel lucky?" Well, do ya, punk?" -Harry Callahan

Hi, I'm from Detroit! (Yes it did suck)

Thumbs up Thumbs down

Thank you candidates, (add in as you can Dale), I would like to follow up by asking what your dreams, hopes and aspirations are for Phoenix Roleplaying, and what are some practical steps we can take to start bringing that about? Discus...

How would you improve the quality of RP here?

Hi all!

I guess it's time I weighed in... I've thought this over, and in terms of the greatest asset for Phoenix, things have changed... I've run for governing positions in Phoenix before, and my main thought has changed. I used to state that the membership and diversity of our sims was the main asset that we have, but that has changed.

Our membership and posting rate took a significant blow since last election, yet recently has seen a resurgance, most specifically through Mike Palmer's Kestral Sim. So before I go any further, I would like to thank Mike for his tireless efforts to create such a strong sim, with a regular posting rate and a significant playerbase.

Which leaves the issue of sim diversity. When I joined Phoenix, I was literally spoiled for choice, did I want to travel the 'Verse? Or a Galaxy Far Far Away? Or even take the TARDIS for a spin!
Yet over the past months, Misty and I have had to pull the plug on a staggering and worrying number of sims, closing some sims that had significant potential, as well as some that had been a staple of Phoenix longer than I have been here.

I genuinely want to see these sims make a comeback, to bring the diversity that I loved so much about Phoenix back. So if I am voted into the position of GC, I plan to spearhead a push for an increased number of GMs, rebooting sims that have sufficient interest, as well as encouraging the development of new and unique sims.

http://oi40.tinypic.com/t8uufd.jpg
"If you live in the UK, dial 999. If you live in the USA, dial 911. If you're from another country... SO SORRY."

Thumbs up Thumbs down

My dreams, hopes, and aspirations for Phoenix can be summed up into four words: For it to thrive.

How can this happen? There really isn't a set answer. It will take anyone and everyone dedicating time, effort, and energy into our club, our community. Because just as with any other hobby, you have to cultivate. To me roleplaying is as much a hobby as photography and actually I spend more time writing for my characters then with my camera in my hand! Anywho. Practical steps...dedicate oneself to check the site routinely, make a conscious effort to post at least one a week, unless of course sim rules call for something more frequent. Offer services to help in staff or with a struggling sim. We have tons of multi-talented folks here! To me there really is no limit to the steps members can take to help Phoenix thrive, and I am dedicated to helping this site, this club thrive.

--------------------------------------------------------------------

How would you improve the quality of RP here?

Quality of RP is a matter of opinion. What one person considers 'quality' another might not. We have people from different backgrounds here: tabletop roleplayers, gamers, authors, and creative writers all of who look at quality RP differently. I firmly believe in quality over quantity. Which is one reason I hate to see sites that have a minimum post word count. It makes me so happy that Phoenix can house such a multitude of roleplayers. But! If there are concerns, I would suggest (as did October at SciWorld) use adjective, describe feelings and things, use your posts to help flesh out your character.

Misty

My Dream for Phoenix?

For it to remain a Diverse group. I come from a Forum pretty much made up of the same Demographic, so I was most pleasantly surprised when I came here for the first time to see what kind of players we have. And as far as practical steps go. I'd like to have us keep inviting people. Maybe open more Advertisements up elsewhere.

How to Improve RP?

While I don't believe that the quality of Role Play here is low by any means (We have some great players!) I believe that incentives to a degree would allow us to encourage our players to do more. Bring back more sim level awards, maybe hold more writing contests. Or maybe, even try some new GM set ups and player led stories.

Rebecca

"I know what you're thinking. "Did he fire six shots or only five?" Well to tell you the truth in all this excitement I kinda lost track myself. But being this is a .44 Magnum, the most powerful handgun in the world and would blow you head clean off, you've gotta ask yourself one question: "Do I feel lucky?" Well, do ya, punk?" -Harry Callahan

Hi, I'm from Detroit! (Yes it did suck)

Thumbs up +1 Thumbs down

Hi, friendly neighborhood newsletter editor here. For a write up in the  next issue, what are the duties of the General and Technical Coordinators?

The roles of General Coordinator and Technical Coordinator are found in detail under the roles and responsibilities section (waaay donw at the bottom) in the Rules of Phoenix. Sections II and IV  repectively.

Section II - The General Coordinator
Article 1. The office of General Coordinator shall last a term of 12 months running from as early in May as is convenient to the General Membership, and the office-holder shall be decided by the General Membership by majority vote as conducted by the Elections & Voting Coordinator (see Section IV below), and shall be referred to as the GC in this document.
Article 2. The GC is responsible for overseeing Phoenix Roleplay and for promoting progress within the Phoenix Roleplay community.
Article 3.1 The GC is responsible for including the Contender (see below) in all discussions related to the site and community in which the GC is also involved, the Technical Coordinator when discussion concerns subjects for which the Technical Coordinator is responsible, and the Elections and Voting Coordinator when discussion concerns subjects for which the Elections and Voting Coordinator is responsible. Any discussions made in public forums on the Phoenix Roleplay site must still be brought directly to the attentions of the Contender, Technical Coordinator, and Election Coordinator when appropriate, as defined above.
Article 3.2 The specifics of how the Contender is included and how much involvement they will have with any discussions is determined by the current Contender and lasts up to the end of their GC's term of office. If the Contender chooses, they may opt out of being included in any discussions or can choose to limit their own inclusion as they see fit. The Contender may require of the GC full inclusion in the discussions, summaries, etc., but there are no restrictions on what information the Contender has access to provided that the information is pertinent to the office of GC and not invasive to privacy.
Article 4. The GC is responsible for facilitating and expediting the transfer of office for the EVC at the start of a new elected term in accordance with "Policy 1: At the Start of Term of Office".
Article 5. The GC acts as Phoenix Roleplay's chief official, representing the General Membership in any external affairs concerning Phoenix Roleplay except in matters delegated to other officials or members as decided by this document.
Article 6. The GC reports to the General Membership on all changes implemented by the office of GC, any progress decided upon or implemented by elected officials or the General Membership, or any external affairs concerning Phoenix Roleplay. A maximum time of 2 weeks may pass before the GC must report such changes to the membership, in this way allowing for but not necessarily requiring a regular two-weekly update of administrative events.
Article 7. The GC is required to use tact when reporting information to the General Membership sensitive to any members of Phoenix Roleplay.
Article 8. The GC is responsible for resolving disputes between members and handling complaints made by the membership when issues cannot be resolved between those involved or when the GC decides the issue is causing harm to Phoenix Roleplay or is otherwise causing trouble for the site or the General Membership.
Article 9. The GC is responsible for moderating the Management Forum.
Article 10. Starting with May, shortly after their election, and then roughly every three months thereafter (so August, November and, finally, February shortly before elections), the GC or a relevant delegate (e.g. the GM Officer) will ask the Coordinators, Deputy/Assistant Coordinators, Officers, Junior Officers, Sim Leaders, and GMs to review their office/sim to identify any problems which need resolving and to share best practice across our site. This review will generally be carried out by email, and reported to the general membership upon completion.

Section VI - The Technical Coordinator
Article 1. The office of Technical Coordinator shall last a term of 12 months running from as early in May as is convenient to the General Membership, and the office-holder shall be decided by the General Membership by majority vote as conducted by the EVC, and shall be referred to as the TC in this document.
Article 2. The TC reports to the General Membership on all things for which the TC is responsible.
Article 3. The TC is responsible for maintaining the Phoenix Roleplay site in all aspects related to coding and availability of the site and its services to the General Membership.
Article 4. The TC is responsible for handling technical complaints and issues the General Membership has with the Phoenix Roleplay site and its services.
Article 5. The TC is responsible for relating to the GC their professional opinion on the technical aspect of changes to the site as required.
Article 6. The TC must report to the General Membership of all technical issues which concern the General Membership and likewise must report to individual members all technical issues which concern those individual members.
Article 7. The TC is responsible for moderating the Tech Support Forum.

Hope that helps oh mighty editor.

The voting bin should open tomorrow. Candidates for General Coordinator will be a ranked pair system in which the voter must put the candidates in order of their preference top to bottom. Technical Coordinator will be a straight vote or abstain choice. Good fortune to all the candidates. May the odds be ever in your favor. Voting will close at midnight PST next Sunday.

I've voted. Make sure you do too!

Thanks to all the candidates for some good answers.

I am really encouraged by the quality of players we have, not just in terms of their ability to role play effectively and write well, but in how supportive people are to help each other and make the site thrive, as Misty puts it. (Great word and sentiment).

Thumbs up +1 Thumbs down

I've got no mail to the vote?!

Armored with faith, armed with knowledge, blessed with wrath.
Jennifer Roth-Mud&Mercs|Felix Winter-Wing Commander|Jochen Baumann-Covert-81|Neera Anzari-Area 88 Waving Wings|Eric O'brien-Area 88 Crimson Skies|Torsten Winkler-Rainbow Six

Thumbs up Thumbs down

Odd. Your email is in the list. Are you using a different email than you signed up on the site with? I'll be sending out a get out and vote reminder that should come to you shortly.

No I don't, I also don't even get it in the spam box or something @[email protected]

Jennifer Roth-Mud&Mercs|Felix Winter-Wing Commander|Jochen Baumann-Covert-81|Neera Anzari-Area 88 Waving Wings|Eric O'brien-Area 88 Crimson Skies|Torsten Winkler-Rainbow Six

Thumbs up Thumbs down

Would PMing a direct link work?

http://oi40.tinypic.com/t8uufd.jpg
"If you live in the UK, dial 999. If you live in the USA, dial 911. If you're from another country... SO SORRY."

Thumbs up Thumbs down

Links are unique per person, but Kevin might be able to generate one to send?

SoapyMac wrote:

Would PMing a direct link work?

I think yes. If possible.
Changed my mail to my Gmail account. I don't know why I don't get it on my regular one?!  hmm  sad

Thumbs up Thumbs down

Voting has officially closed for the 2016 election for General Coordinator and Technical Coordinator of Phoenix Roleplaying. Many thanks to everyone that took the time to participate in club governance.

As a whole not a bad turn out. 18 members voted, equalling 43% of the eligible list of members (members who have logged in and posted more than once in the last year). Of that group 14 voted in the fist 48 hours, and 4 voted in the last 48 hours. A fairly consistent pattern with past elections. Oh, you want results... not statistics. Fine.

The office of Technical Coordinator, winning 94% of the vote,  goes to Euan Reid. Congratulations sir!

Now on to the big show, the competition for General Coordinator was very close. In Third Place with 22% of the vote was Dale "Soapymac" Brennan. The position of Contender with 35% of the votes goes to Rebecca "Ironette" Forte. Which means the position of General Coordinator for  2016, remains in the hands of the reigning Khalessi, Misty Diamond, holding 42% of the tabulated votes. Congratulations to all on a robust competition. Long live the Queen... or something like that.

Thank you all for your vote of confidence in my continuing to eat pizza and drink beer maintain and improve the site - with PARS just around the corner and some backend optimisations planned soon I'll hope to live up to your expectations. Phoenix 2.0 is not forgotten either, fear not! With some potentially useful technologies recently released I'm in the process of evaluating ways we can make it even better in the long run. "Measure twice, cut once" and all that.

Hearty congratulations to Misty on another term, to Ironette as our new Contender, and to Soapymac on a strong showing in the polls. I'm not surprised things were so close, it was a tough choice!

Congratulations to Misty and Euan on their re-election! Also well done to Ironette, I am sure you'll make a great contender.

Congrats all round guys! Good show.  smile

Thumbs up Thumbs down