Topic: Ban Reports

Figured we could use a place to communicate who was banned and when so that way people will know if an issue has been handled yet or not. The "why" is recorded in an Administrative section, but I figure there's no harm in relaying that here.

At 11:15 (GMT+5), SINIUNFIGNAND was banned for unauthorized advertising and spamming.

~Robert

Last edited by RLongtin (2011-11-25 15:26:19)

http://i41.tinypic.com/2q2e0ig.png

Thumbs up Thumbs down

Re: Ban Reports

I would definitely agree with this. In fact, I'll sticky this.

Thanks chaps. Good thinking.

With the sheer number of spam we've suffered since the relaunch and especially today, though, I'm actually starting to think I'd rather delete all spam and ever reference to spam for the simple fact that it looks bad to prospective and actual new members. If I looked at a site that had a dozen 'spam post deleted' posts and a public list full of all the users who'd been banned for spamming, I'd probably be wary of joining. I know I'm u-turning on my earlier position that we want to keep records, but the sheer scale of the spam today (50+) posts has, simply, bothered me.

Anyway, action being taken so far is that we're going to make it so new users are asked a security question on registration and won't be able to register without answering it. This not only 'polices our border' as it were, against spammers, but will also cut down on the number of fake sign-ups. Additionally, new users will also be  asked a security question upon their first post. These two steps will, I think, keep the spammers out and won't inconvenience legitimate users in the way that our current system of random spot-check security questions has been doing.

The sheer number of threads that have opened up complaining about spam and/or talking about how to stop it really does go to show what a serious problem this has been for us as a community recently, and I for one intend to make it stop.

Ash

Thumbs up Thumbs down

Thank for this. I would favour retaining a thread like this, but only for recording "real" users who were banned in the interest of democratic accountability.

- Silent

I absolutely agree with you on the note of Democratic Accountability, Silent, although I feel that going to mention spammers in here is useful only until we can delete spammer posts as well - since it's our one way to let the users know we've addressed the problem and just haven't been able to delete the post yet.

~Robert

Thumbs up Thumbs down

At 10:20 AM (GMT+5), Neangeark was banned for unauthorized advertising and spamming.

~Robert

Last edited by RLongtin (2011-11-25 23:59:18)

Thumbs up Thumbs down

Thanks Robert. I'm looking forward to our new system which will keep spammers out!

Ash

Thumbs up Thumbs down

At 11:25 PM (GMT+5), duexAidemeaxy was banned for unauthorized advertising.

~Robert

Thumbs up Thumbs down

At 20:34 GMT, ayyanleo113 was banned for spam links in a signature.

- Acting GC

At 12:54 PM (GMT +1), RonnyBee was banned for a spam signature.

Got rid of an account that was clearly a spammer - he never responded to my email.

Silent

Compliments to Euan. The spam filters have certainly kept most of it out. Bravo.
-Kevin

At 1:45 PM (GMT+5) KicaSelia was banned for spamming an IC area.

~Robert

Thumbs up Thumbs down

Thanks for spotting that. The spam post has now been deleted.

At 20:19 GMT, feriempirmlaf was banned and deleted for 65 spam posts in under an hour.

- GC

Berzerker has banned from Phoenix Roleplaying until further notice as of 16:52 GMT for multiple counts of offensive behaviour, particularly abusing other players via email. He will not be eligible to have this ban overturned (save a membership vote) until 24 July 2014 at the very earliest; the General Coordinator who succeeds me will be strong advised against letting him back in.

Any attempt to covertly re-join will be dealt with harshly.

Last edited by Silent Hunter (2013-07-24 17:01:05)

At 16:30 GMT, MiguelXBB was banned and deleted for spamming.

Today, June 3, 2015, I have banned Venus Virgila. More details later when I am not at work.

Edit:

As of today, June 3, 2015, I had to ban Venus Virgilia from Phoenix Roleplaying. It saddens me more than anyone knows to have to do such, but I felt there was no other solution. Before I could handle a situation that arose between herself and another member, she lashed out and put herself in violation of Phoenix’s Member policy 8: Disturbances and Disruptions and Member Policy 9: Safe and Fair Environment.  And then continued even after being asked by the thread moderator (and SL), myself (GC), and also ksabers (dgc). What could have been a simple matter turned into an even more pressing issue with her behavior and choice of words. Again, banning her was not something I took lightly.

Last edited by Misty Diamond (2015-06-03 23:46:55)

I have used the Admin powers that I still have to make the ban solid as I got an abusive PM from Venus. I know this is exceeding my authority, but I felt time was of the essence as she was going on a massive spam attack.

Edit: Nevermind, I see that it was already done by Misty.

Last edited by Silent Hunter (2015-06-03 16:00:45)

Why was I banned?

Thumbs up Thumbs down

When Venus was banned, her IP was included in the "things to check against" list - various users seem to have been faced with ban messages as a result. I've removed the IP from the ban, which should hopefully fix the issue.

uhm i wonder how one IP can be used by a number of users at the same time ?
can't you ban the mac ip of her computer ?

Armored with faith, armed with knowledge, blessed with wrath.
Jennifer Roth-Mud&Mercs|Felix Winter-Wing Commander|Jochen Baumann-Covert-81|Neera Anzari-Area 88 Waving Wings|Eric O'brien-Area 88 Crimson Skies|Torsten Winkler-Rainbow Six

Thumbs up +1 Thumbs down

And for that matter, why are the IPs that I use checked against whenever some miscreant starts raising heck?

Thumbs up Thumbs down

Maybe the IP was an LTE one.

Thumbs up Thumbs down

Some internet providers will use a single IP - it's for this reason that IP banning is generally something to be avoided, far too much risk of innocent users being blocked. Unfortunately, you can't get the MAC address of a website visitor, so can't block on that basis. MMOs can only do it because they're installed on your computer so have access to additional things.

Our usual ban method is to ban the user account and their email address - that's what I've updated Venus's ban to match.