Topic: Dockmaster's Office - Deck 4

OOC: Moving this scene here to get it out of the business of ships docking and immigration.

He stood considering that for a moment.
Eliot, is it? Now I understand better what he was talking about. I would, however, be amiss in not calling into question the usefulness of ancient dead wordwranglers to my current position, unless they're prepared to miraculously resurrect and elect me zombie poet-king of the universe. Actually, considering my alternatives, that's the best I can hope for right now...

Still, hearing the poem yet again made him feel a little better, and a semblance of his former resolve started to return.
I am not helped by wallowing in self-pity. Let's move on from my impending insanity for a little bit and consider the situation.
He did so.
No hope. There is no hope at all. Barring the zombie army, that is. Wonder if there are necromancers for hire on the station?
And the little voice spoke up yet again.
So farewell, hope; and with hope farewell, fear; if not victory within thy grasp then with vengeance be content. For that purpose, who better sent?
That cheered him up considerably. After a minute, the thought was even able to bring a bitter little smile to his lips.
Yes. It doesn't need to be about victory, after all. There's no chance for that. But making sure the bastards pay a heavy price? I can do that. None better for it. I think I already know where to start...
He raised his Cortex unit and dashed away four numbers to his first correspondent, the smile still intact.
=11:43=

Lazarus, come forth.

http://i13.photobucket.com/albums/a281/hollyzuzu/scarlettwilsonsm.png

IC: Scarlett stood outside the door for a moment. She really was not dressed for a meeting with an Alliance official. She was still in her jeans, that while attractive on her, did not scream Administrator at people. Similarly, the top was attractive but far to casual for a meeting like this. There really wasn't time to worry about niceites. She brushed her red hair back from her face, took a breath and walked into the office like she owned the place.

Shiela didn't hide her emotions as well. She was relieved to see Scarlett. She pointed descreetly at Allister. Scarlett didn't nod but she gave Shiela a look that conveyed her understanding.

Scarlett walked over to where the man was sitting. The clock onthe wall said 4:20. By some miracle she was still technically ten minutes early for this encounter.

"Mr. Allistair. I am Station Administrator Scarlett Newman Wilson. Welcome to the Greenleaf Skyplex. Would you like to come in my office?" She state welcomingly gesturing towards the office in back.

-Scarlett

Re: Dockmaster's Office - Deck 4

Bump.

OOC: Oh! Good thing you bumped this, it's totally passed me by. (As in I haven't seen this thread existed until now.)
EDIT: Er, I don't think I have the time to produce an adequate post tonight though. I'll work on it. Sorry!

Last edited by Michael Aker (2012-04-15 19:50:18)

Thumbs up Thumbs down

-Diwu Alistair-

Alistair had risen and was on his way to greet the girl, mouth half open as the reflexive phrases began to take form, but then he really heard what she was saying, did a double take, did another for good measure, and finished his remarkable performance by standing dumbstruck with his mouth still open and hand halfway extended, producing an exceptional impression of total confusion. Sadly, he did not remember to stop talking as he started thinking.

Is this a joke? This is the administrator? This slip of a girl is my best hope of getting anything whatsoever done on this godsforsaken station, the only one whose cooperation is absolutely essential for me?  Then why, why oh why has all the material I've so painstakingly assembled and memorized treated the life and misfortunes of Craig Wilson, the famously Disgraced Dockmaster Dolt? No, no chance. No way this can be right.
Our records may not be that up to date, but Quentin's sent me report after report on the man, assuring me he was still... ah. There we go. Quentin's set me up. He
set me up. I will kill that sick little bugger so convincingly his grandparents will feel the reverberations once I get my hands on him! But until then, I'm on the station with extensive preparation which has suddenly become a heavy liability, my world's reduced to ashes since five minutes ago and now all of a sudden I must deal with this excuse of an administrator of whom I know nothing. Wait, did she say Wilson?

"Nice to merrrrtr? Uh. But. I, ah, there must be - I mean, who's - what... what. Oh. Yes. Uh, I mean, good. Thank you. That sounds good. I think I need to sit down for a little spell, the journey and the stress and..." He stopped talking midsentence, finally bringing his brain back into the situation. It was predictably horrified at what a muddle he'd made of it all and promptly started checking the room for a suitable window he could jump through, totally ignoring the fact they were in space and that it would hardly help anyway. He was more than prepared to try at this point, given the chance.

I'LL KILL YOU, QUENTIN!

Last edited by Michael Aker (2012-04-20 17:41:33)

Thumbs up Thumbs down

Scarlett saw the man's bewilderment. Had he been a lesser Government Agent she would have rolled her eyes at him. Instead a small part of her deep inside just died instead while she held a professional smile of greeting on the outside. Was it that she was young? A woman? Red Hair? It was always the same and here she was again having to defend her position of Dockmaster and Administrator. Men.

"May i get you something to drink perhaps to help calm you after your journey, perhaps some tea?" she stated moments before seeing the teacup next to his seat. Good Scarlett. Just prove that you are as stupid as this gorram fay-fay duh pee-yen thinks you are. Her eyebrows did lower slightly in a flash of anger.

-Scarlett

OOC: I'm falling behind in my schedule. I haven't forgotten about it! Again, tonight or tomorrow. Very sorry.

Thumbs up Thumbs down

-Diwu Alistair-
Alistair followed her gaze to the tea cup sluggishly and realized first after a few seconds it was, in fact, his. Focus, Alistair. Focus. I know, I know, it's been a long few minutes, a lot of upheavals and shocking truths and all that poppycock, but really, if you can't handle something so trifling as the end of your world then what good are you?
"I'm fine, miss. Thank you." He replied quietly, too distracted to notice anything untoward. "Shall we?" he looked at her office door to show what he meant, with an effort not scowling at Shiela as his eyes swept past the harpy. He actually found some measure of strength in the shockingly strong resentment he felt when he realized she was still in the room. Though I think one usually means something else when telling a woman they're "my strength". Well, whatever works.

Thumbs up Thumbs down

Scarlett gave Alistair a forced smile as she stepped back and swept her arm in the direction of the office. "By all means."

Her office was small. It was certainly more the desk of a working dockmaster than a station administrator of high standing. Upon further  examination the desk seemed a little out of place. The chairs were comfortable and surprisingly modern. In fact most of the furnishings in the office were well selected with a sense of style. A photo of Miss Wilson in proper business attire was fastened to the wall along with the photo of the Skyplex's Employee of the Month. A large colorful non-representational kenetic screen painting dominated the space behind her desk. The kenetic activity and colors created almost mesmerizing patterns that would constantly flow and shift. On the side wall were a dozen certificaitons of different fields of study related to station management that Miss Wilson had achieved in her short but focused life. The gun cabinet in the corner was difficult to miss too.

She motioned to the chairs, "Please have a seat." She walked around to her side and sat down, her jeans and comfortable blouse seeming to tie in more with the common desk. "Now how may I assist you?"

-Scarlett

OOC: In order not to bind up Scarlett any more, I'd suggest we treat this as a flashback discussion as with the Phantasm Office - if you're still interested in continuing this thread, that is. I'll get back to the InHuman Dilemma in hopefully no more than two or three days as well.

-Diwu Alistair-

Well, I was hoping you'd provide me with unlimited resources, authority enough to wield like a sledgehammer, capacity to wage my personal vendetta against all things moving in the galaxy, and why not a nice and cushy job as undisputed God-King of All Londinium while we're at it? That'd be a nice start, I'd think. We'll just have to come to terms with the zombie Poet-King first...
"Thank you, Miss Wilson. As I told your charming receptionist, I have been hired by the Alliance as an external auditor, assigned to the Greenleaf Skyplex to evaluate and, hopefully, ultimately improve the performance of the station. The Alliance is not displeased with the current administration, but feels the Skyplex has a lot of unfulfilled potential. As such, and given the relative distance to Osiris, I have been given more autonomy than is common for normal evaluations."

Alistair was silent for a moment.

"Perhaps I should not tell you this, but if you have not already heard the rumors then you will soon. There have been some... complaints... about a perceived inflexibility in the policies Osiris usually issues. Greenleaf Skyplex is part of a new project which seeks to address those same issues by granting greater independence and authority to the agen- auditors assigned to a region."

Focus! You're doing good thus far.

"But whereas we are responsible for success, so are we responsible for failure. Let me be frank. The UA Office has bitten off more than it can chew. We have become the dominant voice when it comes to financial policy within the Alliance, and it's a position we are not used to. What's more, it is not even a position we should be in - we are supposed to be auditors, not politicians! but due to unfortunate circumstances-"

Not to mention plain politics, betrayals, backstabbings and the blatant power grabs in the last few years' upheavals...

"We have become the ones to carry that burden, however ill it suits us at the moment. I am sorry, Miss Wilson, but this is causing us no end of troubles, and you will be feeling the consequences for a long time to come. I am one of them. The Skyplex is lucrative, but not by any means essential or large enough to matter. The UA Office considers it therefore a good testing ground for alternate procedures, and if this one does not go well I believe we shall both find ourselves unemployed before long. Upstairs is not what it has been - it hardly even merits to be called the UAO any longer with all the restructurings and merges that have been going on. These are turbulent times, Miss Wilson, and so much of this may seem so very remote for your little Skyplex. But I am afraid that will not be true for much longer. That is why I would hope we may be of assistance to each other. Do you understand what I have told you?"

I'm honestly surprised, Alistair. I think you actually managed to tell the truth for once. You fool.

Thumbs up Thumbs down

Scarlett listened to Alister carefully. This was another Alliance shirt coming to throw the weight of the almighty central government around out on the rim. Her father went through conversations similar to this during and after the war. She knew what to do.

"Of course we are always pleased to improve commerce on the skyplex. The Alliance and our sponsor corporation Blue Sun have always been most helpful in providing insight into station operations."

Dropping the Blue Sun name was often helpful at this point in dealing with the government. Greenleaf Skyplex was an official terminus for the deep space mega haulers of the sprawling corporation. She worked hard to make sure business was good for them. In turn, she knew they could keep the Government from being too intrusive, so long as it served Blue Sun's purposes.

"I would be pleased to give you full access to our accounting. I can even have a small office assigned to you to help facilitiate your inquiry. And of course I am at your disposal anytime it does not interfere with important station matters."

Important matters like it's administrator needing to go shopping or sleep or nearly any other function that improved the morale of the administrator.

"How can I best help you with your mission?" Scarlett asked in as professional and courteous of a tone as she could. Of course the last thing she wanted was to be babysitting some UAO stylus pusher, but that could be dealt with in many ways.

-Scarlett

OOC: Glad to have you back. I am going to treat this exchange as already happening as Scarlett will likely be moving about the station very quickly dealing with the bomb threat, attempted assault and other issues that have sprung up in the last hour. By my projection on time we are somewhere about 6:30pm on the station.

Michael Aker wrote:

-Diwu Alistair-

...you actually managed to tell the truth for once. You fool.

OOC: That's all so believable. I'm looking at a map of the Verse on my wall and we've billed Greenleaf Skyplex as transport hub for the planet's surroundings (the Red Sun system), with a population of 3.5 billion spread across 13 worlds* and their moons (where terraformed), which means it must ship considerable quantities of goods, huge quantities of foodstuffs from Harvest, mineral resources from Motherlode (the asteroid belt) including, I imagine, water, and do an excellent trade in pharmaceuticals from Greenleaf itself.

And yet, it's in the Red Sun system; profoundly expendable if things go wrong.

Ash

*Aesir (orbits stellaformed gas giant Himinbjorg)
Anson's World
Brisingamen
Greenleaf
Harvest
Jiangyin
Jubilee
Lazarus (orbits stellaformed gas giant Heinlein)
New Melbourne
Paquin (orbits stellaformed gas giant Heinlein)
Silverhold (orbits stellaformed gas giant Heinlein)
St Albans
Triumph (orbits stellaformed gas giant Heinlein)

Thumbs up Thumbs down

-Diwu Alistair-

Alistair frowned slightly before smoothing out the expression.
Well, what did you expect her to do? This will have to suffice. Damnation, man, this was all you were hoping for!
"Thank you, Miss Wilson, that would be excellent. At this stage of the operation that is all I require. You should be aware that I work as part of a-" If you say detachment as a private joke I swear no barrier of sanity shall keep you safe from me. "team - I'm afraid even I can't be everywhere on the station at once - so I would hope the same cooperation will be available to them. At your convenience, I will need to conduct interviews with select personnel from your staff, but nothing that will compromise your day-to-day operations, I assure you. Beyond that, there is nothing that comes to mind. Thank you for your cooperation, Administrator. Is there anything you need in return? I am aware it's unusual, but considering my... unorthodox... position, I might be of some use to you as well while working. After all," and Alistair smiled, giving in to whimsy, "where an Administrator must walk gingerly an Alliance man is expected to stomp with abandon - and I would hate to disappoint."

Thumbs up Thumbs down

Scarlett smiled at the reference. The boys from the Core always thought they knew everything. Still you worked with what you got and so long as Mr. Alistair didn't get in the way of the profitability of commerce on the station she could afford to be accomodating. If his team was a full scale UAO invasion of the station, well that was something else. She didn't like unlawful activities, but this was a busy station on the Rim. Lots of things can happen to a person.

"If you are talking about unorthodox, there is one thing I want. For months I have been applying with the Greenleaf immigration office to allow simple tourist visas for daytrips to the planet. Nothing extended, but just a see the sights tourist opperation. I don't even care if they can't disembark, I just need permission for low altitude flying clearnce. Anyone you know that can help?"

-Scarlett

<-----------------------------Time Cut-------------------------------------------->

Alistair left the office.

Scarlett leaned back in the chair behind her father's big desk. What a day. She wondered why there could never be a period of simple grain and livestock exchanges where everyone got paid and went home happy. Instead she had a murder, an assualt, a riot, and now a new Alliance beurareucrat to babysit. She needed a drink and a long soak in the tub.

She straightened up her desk from the day's paperwork and then made a last scan of her cortex.

Bomb Dispoal! When the hell had that happened! She sat up at her desk trying to get details from the bulky unit. Land of Storage. Lovely. She grabbed her brown suede jacket and headed out the door.  =Security! I need an update on this bomb issue on Deck 7.=

-Scarlett

----------------------------------------------Time Cut------------------------------------------------------------
Not that night had much meaning out in the black, but as a whole trafffic into and out of the station tonight was pretty quiet. A frieghter full of mining equipment had left for a short hop down to the planet. Also a religous delegation from Jainjyn had just picked up their party and were ready to head back for home. Generally a pretty dull night.

Rigel watched her screens as a new signal  came up on the com system. IT was still sell out beyound scanner range, but it was sending a signal. She pressed her headset on to the stations' port frequency.

=Skyplex Control, this is Atlantis, we have an ETA to you in 18 hours. We are requesting a berth for an Eskellion Raider class vessel. Additionally we have an engineer in immediate medical need. Do you have an ambulance service available?=

It seemed tonight was a good night for exotic ships to pull into port. The beaten solar sailor named Oddessy was resting along the outer ring and now a U-War Raider. Rigel raised an eyebrow at the thought. It was hard to be a port com officer and not take an interest in the types of ships that you talked to each day. She thought she should set herself up as a used ship dealer. She knew which ones had on going maintenace problems, which could hold up best in a fight and what happened when you bought cheap and fast. Her fingers moved over the boards and brought up the nights mooring reservations. They had a fairly full house but there was still room for visitors. She signed Atlantis in for Berth 11 in the outer Ring.

An ambulance. That wasn't a good sign. She immediately switched tot he emergency services board and typed in : *Ambulance needed for freighter 18 hours out. Injured enigineer.*
Moments later she got a response from the medical office. *Copy that we can have a ship outbound in eight minutes, fastburn, should reach the ship in two hours.*

=Atlantis this is Greenleaf control, we have you set of berth 11 upon arrival. We can...=

Rigel cut off the transmission abruptly as a second message showed up on her board. *Negative. No ambulances to leave the station. Put out request on commercial line. Scarlett.*

That was odd. Scarlett was as helpful and compassionate of an administrator as you could come by. She wasn't one to deny medical assistance to an inbound ship. Still she ran the place.

=Sorry for that Atlantis. We do not have any Medvacs available at this time. I am sending out a request on the merchant marine channel to see if anyone can help you out.=

-Rigel, Port Communications

=Skyplex Control, This is Atlantis. We are dispatching our injured man in our shuttle at Fast Burn. They have an ETA of two hours. Please have emergency personell standing by.=

Rigel pulled up the ship's beacon. They were stil a bit far out for any solid information, still she logged the communication into the central computer. She then put hte request in for the medical team to be ready in two hours. Since Scarlett already had the station personell on Yellow alert, it wouldn't take much to have a team look after the injured engineer.

=Copy that Atalntis. We will keep an eye out for your shuttle and get your people help when they dock. Safe journey.=

She sat back in her chair and kept on eye on her screen for when the tiny shuttle's beacon would pop up.

-Rigel

Some Rigel could hear a signal coming through, it was distant but by the compression the ship was moving fast

=" Greenleaf Skyplex this is Atlantis shuttle one, inbound with a medical emergency, ETA One hour thirty minutes, Patient is stable, suffering dehydration , I have him on a saline drip and monitoring over "=

Mark Ho Chang

Thumbs up +1 Thumbs down

=Atlantis shuttle, this is Skyplex control. We do not have a full signal on you yet, but you should be entering our control zone shortly. We understand and have medical crews standing by. You will recieve docking instructions when you near the station. Do you have need of a triage nurse during your flight. I can patch you through to the medical deck.=

-Rigel

Mark heard the reply and knew the routine

" Have the triage nurse standing by , I can transmit the patients vitals to her or him on a secure cortex channel "

This told Rigel that there was some experience behind the controls of the shuttle and that it was well equipped , possibly core quality

Mark checked his engine, she was a little warm but still putting out good power , the fuel cells were holding up good as well, the armored shuttle was one tough little ship , Mark thought of a name for it .."Armadillo"

Mark Ho Chang

Thumbs up Thumbs down

OOC: Been a while since I RPd with Mark Ho Chang. Remember him from the first posts on the Prinz and I think St Michaels before that. :-)

Ash

Thumbs up +1 Thumbs down

I think that was "Aker's Bluff" where Mark started with the Prinz , I was thinking of that backwater town today while my Mon watched westerns with John Wayne starring in them on our new TV set

James tpo Mark

Thumbs up Thumbs down

=Copy that Atlantis Shuttle. Triage in available on frequency 003.23.911. We'll help with anything we can.=

Rigel noted the little ship blipping up on the furthest out scanner. She took down the distant responder code and typed it in to the port computer for quick recognition.

-Rigel

Zuzutoo wrote:

=Copy that Atlantis Shuttle. Triage in available on frequency 003.23.911. We'll help with anything we can.=

Rigel noted the little ship blipping up on the furthest out scanner. She took down the distant responder code and typed it in to the port computer for quick recognition.

-Rigel

" Sending signal on frequency 003.23.911 now , Atlantis Shuttle out "

Mark takes a glance at Brad, his heart rate was high but stable , Now it was coax a little more out of the engine

"C'mon girl just a lil more "

The little engine responded and Mark felt the extra push, whatever Brad had done to the shuttle had made it much faster than any old armoured shuttle , this brought back memories of when Mark had flown med vacs and had blown a few engines, but he always got his patients to the hospitals , he pats the console

" Good girl thats my good girl "

Mark Ho Chang

Thumbs up Thumbs down

James M wrote:

I think that was "Aker's Bluff" where Mark started with the Prinz , I was thinking of that backwater town today while my Mon watched westerns with John Wayne starring in them on our new TV set

James tpo Mark

OOC: Ah, the Prinz started on St Michael's, but I think you joined straight to the ship, did you? Then we landed at Akers where Yolanda-Saffron-Bridget or someone very similar caused us some trouble. Then it was off to that skyplex where Cao Yun died and I stepped down as GM and you stepped up. :-)

Ash

Thumbs up Thumbs down

Ash Leighton Plom wrote:
James M wrote:

James tpo Mark

OOC: Ah, the Prinz started on St Michael's, but I think you joined straight to the ship, did you? Then we landed at Akers where Yolanda-Saffron-Bridget or someone very similar caused us some trouble. Then it was off to that skyplex where Cao Yun died and I stepped down as GM and you stepped up. :-)

Ash

Mark started on Akers Bluff and joined the Prinz crew as one of the pilots , I still remember the meeting in that eatery on that dusty main street
I must say those are good memories :>)

James tpo Mark

Thumbs up Thumbs down