Topic: Proposal: Harry Potter?

I miss playing Harry Potter really badly.

So my ideas are as follows:

1)  Set eight years after Harry Potter's graduation, it's a whole new class of students at Hogwarts. 
2) Aurors.  Based on this trailer:  http://youtu.be/2WhhS2maFEs
3) Founding of Hogwarts - set in the days of four founders of Hogwarts

Any thoughts? Does anyone else want to play?

Thumbs up +1 Thumbs down

Re: Proposal: Harry Potter?

Aurors looks seriously cool, but for a first sim in the genre a variant on 1 would be my vote - the variant being "about 20 years after the timeskip at the end of book 7", like was in old country, since it leaves Harry et al sufficiently old as to be out the way. And yes, I'd play, in any of them.

-Euan

I may be interested if the players DON'T get to pick their House. I say the SL/GM rolls a d4 to determine who gets what before the character bio is made. That way we don't have nothing but Slytherin and Gryffindor.

-BL

Why did Suzy fall out of the swing?  Because she had no arms.
Knock, knock. Who's there?
Not Suzy

Thumbs up Thumbs down

Brandon L wrote:

I may be interested if the players DON'T get to pick their House. I say the SL/GM rolls a d4 to determine who gets what before the character bio is made. That way we don't have nothing but Slytherin and Gryffindor.

-BL

I would favour that as well.

Seesh, if I had a choice, I'd go Ravenclaw.

I'll wait on a definitive yes or no until I get a feel on if I want to start something new.

Thumbs up +1 Thumbs down

I'm just putting out feelers before I work something out.

My preference is actually for an Aurors game, something set right after the last book ended and Harry and Ron would still be training, yet the forces of Voldemort would still be out and about.

It would be fun though to have people not pick their houses, just write up a character bio. My only concern with doing a Houses of Hogwarts game is that when you have a wie age range between all the characters it makes telling stories that involve them all really difficult. I'd have to think about that some more.

- Amanda

Last edited by Amanda Bond (2013-04-08 19:38:18)

Thumbs up +2 Thumbs down

I don't suppose rolling a d4 would be the best way to determine House, but do it based on the bio.

I'd choose Ravenclaw personally, too. And yes, I might well find time for this sim.

Ash

Thumbs up Thumbs down

Count me as another against the d4 House selection. The GM, after all, gets to play the Sorting Hat - players write their bio, and can choose to state a preference (the hat is known to take such things as "not Slytherin" into account...), then the GM decides based on all that what house they're in.

-Euan

That's a better idea, Euan.

If this was created, I'd be up for it.

- GM

I agree with Euan.

Not Suzy

Thumbs up +1 Thumbs down

What about the thought of everyone starting as a first year?  That way everyone is in the same classes at least or would people want to play whatever year they wanted?

- Amanda

Thumbs up +1 Thumbs down

Might be fun if some people played as faculty too? And Ministry staff like aurors, say, investigating something at Hogwarts or the village? Or magical creatures? Half-humans like Professor Flitwick was, and of course Hagrid... Etc etc.

I know there's the issue of some characters being too high powered, but I think it's the same as in, say, Star Wars, where we could rule no one can play Force users for fear of them being too powerful compared to the other players, but you know what, it's worked out alright people playing Force users alongside non-Force users. The players kind of self-moderate and the GM can absorb or mitigate anything else. Likewise Elves in Middle Earth. They could potentially be way powerful, but in RP they're balanced by responsible players. I think the same would be true with magic use in Harry Potter and I'd prefer the advantages from allowing creativity to the advantages of keeping character concepts on a really tight leash.

Ash

Last edited by Ash Leighton Plom (2013-04-10 17:25:20)

Thumbs up Thumbs down

With most of the people I have seen and interacted with on PhRP, there really aren't any power gamers. Something tells me we'd have some Rons mixed in with the Hermiones, and one or two Dracoes to offset the Harrys.

I also like the idea of playing some of the professors if that floats some peoples boats.

Also, I would probably play  a Hufflepuff. I've got a little bit of a backstory going for one.

-BL

Not Suzy

Thumbs up +1 Thumbs down

I wouldn't mind playing a professor.

I was just thinking last night I should start cutting back on my involvement in sims... and yet, I SO want to be in this one. While I really like the idea of being students at Hogwarts, I think with #1 and #3, what would the "problems" be? Who would be the antagonist? #2 deals with that, but if it was based on Aurors it wouldn't really be set at Hogwarts, I wouldn't think.

Hmm...

-Jason

http://www.phoenix-rp.com/img/pips/4.png http://oi60.tinypic.com/5otabo.jpg

Thumbs up Thumbs down

We don't really need an antagonist for Hogwarts, though.

So if we play as a First Year student, our house is based more on our background than anything?

Thumbs up Thumbs down

No, the house allocation is based on personality, with personal preference strongly taken into account - witness Harry's desire not to end up in Slytherin in the first book.

I'd have said it was more personal distaste taken into account, and less preference. A case of "okay, it would cause you problems if I put you in this house, so I won't" rather than "well, you really like this one, so I'll put you in it".

I'm just trying to think: are there cases in the canon material of someone being unhappy with the House the hat sorts them to?

Ash

Thumbs up Thumbs down

Ash Leighton Plom wrote:

I'm just trying to think: are there cases in the canon material of someone being unhappy with the House the hat sorts them to?

Ash

There's certainly cases of the Hat sticking people into houses they didn't want to go to.

I don't recall anything in the books about anyone actually being *unhappy* with the house they were stuck in. I seem to recall conversations around surprise about the house they were chosen for, but I never recall anyone being outright angry or upset about it.

-Jason

Thumbs up Thumbs down

So possibly if the GM suggested a House, if the player absolutely couldn't work with that, they could agree on the GM's second suggestion? Cos we don't want to say to someone "you either play this character you don't want to play, or you don't play at all..."

Ash

Thumbs up Thumbs down

Yeah, I would agree with that Ash.

Thumbs up +1 Thumbs down

Ash Leighton Plom wrote:

I don't suppose rolling a d4 would be the best way to determine House, but do it based on the bio.

I'd choose Ravenclaw personally, too. And yes, I might well find time for this sim.

Ash

What he said...

The whole point of the Sorting Hat was that it sorted you into the House that you truly belonged in.  Some people (including Harry of course) would probably fit well into more than one, especially given that most people do posssess at least some of all the dominant traits exhibited by the different houses.  Making it random is I would say a bad idea, since the House you are in is supposed to reflect who you are.  If you randomly assign a House, you are essentially TELLING the player what kind of person their character is, and that rather defeats the object of rp.

Last edited by BlueTressym (2013-05-19 20:55:48)

SW Accipiter:  Elora  |  SW Invisec:  Karis Durante  |  The Dreamcatchers:  Seren Yates  |  The Longest Journey:  Ciara Stedman

Thumbs up +1 Thumbs down