Topic: Proposal: The Dreamcatchers

• The premise
    Many persons disappear every year without a trace, all over the world. They simply seem to vanish in plain air, with no reasons, leaving no clues behind them.
    Where are they gone?

• The setting
    They say that the dreams are windows on another world.
    Very poetic, but it is actually true. There is indeed another world, another dimension, and when dreaming our mind is sometimes able to break the walls between the two worlds.
    It happens rarely. VERY rarely. Maybe a dream in a hundred billions... But there are seven billions of human beings on this planet, and they all sleep and dream, every night. Every few days, somewhere in the world, someone breaks that wall, and jumps to the other side.
    Almost no one returns, because the world of dreams is full of hungry nightmares.

• The characters
    Breaking the dream barrier is extremely rare... returning from the dream world is even rarer. Yet someone returns, changed forever by the experience. They remember clearly that experience, the terror, the encounter with the monster which tried to kill them. But they were able to fight back and to survive. Now they can "feel" when the barrier breaks, and another human is pulled away from our world. And they are able to help.

• The character creation
    The creation could not be simpler... You can be whoever you want, as long as you are able to sleep. No restrictions, no limitations. You do not even need to create a team, because you will meet each other only in your dreams. And your appearance in the dreams can be radically different from that in real life. It can even change for each dream.

• The character powers
    In real life, you are just normal humans. In your dreams, you have almost unlimited powers. But there is a catch, of course, because every power manifestation requires energy and mental fatigue, and if you spend too much, Very Bad Things can happen...

• The plot
    Initially every character will believe to be the only one. Optionally it will be possible to play each prologue and backstory, then the first rescues.
    But there is something more subtle at work, and soon the characters will learn that they are not alone...

• Sim speed
    This sim is envisioned as light and fast. AWOL time should be no more than 7 days. But at the same time its "encapsulated" structure allows some players to go faster and some others to go slower without reciprocal interference.

• Number of players
    Theoretically, the concept of this sim would allow it to work fine even with just one player. But to comply with Phoenix traditions and standards, at least three players must declare their interest.

• Further info and questions
    The proponent is of course willing to clarify every doubt and to answer each question.

Thank for your interest!
Giò

"My faith protects me. My Kevlar helps" - (Jim Butcher)

Thumbs up +2 Thumbs down

Re: Proposal: The Dreamcatchers

OOOH.....

Stupid autocorrect on my phone, sorry! I'll fixed!!!

Last edited by Misty Diamond (2014-02-14 13:55:03)

Misty Wilson wrote:

Pooh......

...I beg your pardon?

Thumbs up Thumbs down

Fixed it... Sorry

I want to try it myself on my keyboard...

O... O... O... H... http://www.emotasia.com/wp-content/uploads/winnie-pooh-and-friends-emoticon-1.gif

...oh, yes, you are right, it happens for real!

Thumbs up Thumbs down

Oh dear.... now it is contagious.

I'm sorry, could you repeat all of that, please? I seem to have had some Fluff in my ear. smile

As you were talking, I was sitting here Wondering. And what I was Wondering was, if I were asleep, and You were awake, then how shall we meet in our Dreams? Perhaps it is quite obvious, but you see, I am a Bear of Very Little Brain.

-Pooh Jason

PS. Will there be Huffalumps and Woozles in this sim?

http://www.phoenix-rp.com/img/pips/4.png http://oi60.tinypic.com/5otabo.jpg

Thumbs up Thumbs down

To sleep... Perhance to dream...

Then for those who dream I shall be their protector. By day, a ordinary girl but by night, I am Dream Guardian Sailor Osprey!

...ahem... Sorry, this sounds interesting K-man. I'm willing to go on a wild ride.

Thumbs up Thumbs down

Jason Andersen wrote:

As you were talking, I was sitting here Wondering. And what I was Wondering was, if I were asleep, and You were awake, then how shall we meet in our Dreams?

Sit down and eat this jar of honey, little bear, and I'll try to explain better...

• Somewhere in the world, a victim sleeps, and dreams.

• Suddenly, the walls of the Dreamworld are broken, and his astral body is sucked to the other side. (Why this happens? No one knows... yet.)

• From this moment, the Hunt begins. The victim knows that something is wrong, and that this is not a normal nightmare, but there is nothing he can do, except running and screaming and escaping from the worst monsters he can even imagine.

• The Hunt can last hours in the Dreamworld, but in the real world the whole nightmare lasts less than a minute. After this time, the victim is inevitably caught and devoured, and his physical body disappears without a trace.

• A Dreamcatcher can sense the moment when the Dreamworld barrier is broken. From that moment, he has the duration of the Hunt (that is, less than a minute!) to fall asleep and to reach the victim. This is the reason because most Dreamcatchers pretend to have narcolepsy.

• A Dreamcatcher could technically refuse to help a victim: he is not forced to go. He usually goes because he has personally experienced that terror, and knows very well what will happen to the victim if left alone. But it's up to him: from a great power comes a great etc. etc. etc.

• When a Dreamcatcher enters the Dreamworld, he must find and reach the victim, and again it has the remainder of the Hunt to do so (that is, hours). Then he must defend the victim from the monsters, and if successful, he must then help the victim to return inside his physical body.

• If everything goes well, the victim awakens from a bad sleep, but remembering absolutely nothing about the Hunt and the Dreamcatcher, except for a vague sensation soon forgotten.

• The Dreamcatcher awakens in turn, but he remembers everything. In the real world, he slept for one minute, but his mind knows better.

Jason Andersen wrote:

PS. Will there be Huffalumps and Woozles in this sim?

I am afraid not, my dear Pooh. These Huffalumps and Woozles have fangs, and claws, and venom, and they can read your mind and take the shape of your worst fears, and they can dismember your ethereal and physical body, drink your blood and crushing your bones.

Yes, you should be scared. Actually I envision this sim to be quite dark and frightful. The Sleep of the Reason Produces Monsters.

Thumbs up Thumbs down

Actually now that I see the concept of the game, I think I'm out. Stuff like this gives me the wiggins. Hits a trigger or two too.

Last edited by Osprey (2014-02-15 23:41:48)

Thumbs up Thumbs down

I'm strongly considering joining this....

I'm sorry, Osprey.

With this sim I would like to explore some key concepts:

• The responsibility and the sacrifice. In a sense, a Dreamcatcher is a superhero. He can save lives, but the personal price is very high. Imagine to have just one minute to interrupt whatever you are doing, wherever you are, to save the life of a complete stranger who maybe is on the other side of the world and who will not even remember you afterwards.

• The fears. When a Dreamcatcher enters the Dreamworld, he has no idea about what he will meet. Every Hunt is different, because the Dreamworld is partly shaped through the mind of the victim. The monsters which live there literally feed on fear.

• The mystery. I should say that the whole concept of this sim is based on a novel that I am currently writing. What I have told until now is nothing more than the basic premise: the plot will evolve, bringing more questions and doubts. For example... why the disappearances are increasing? Why sometimes you catch glimpses of other persons in your Hunts? Are there other Dreamcatchers out there? How could you contact them in the real world? And... why some victims start to remember something about you?

Thumbs up Thumbs down

I would also add some OOC considerations.

I have noticed that sometimes a sim suffers from a "deadlock condition" when there should be a big interaction among players but actually there is just a little one. Many sims are designed to maximize this kind of interaction, and they are great, they are awesome, but sometimes they proceed jerkily.

On the contrary, this sim is designed to have a lower level of interaction among players, at least at the beginning, and a greater interaction between each player and the GM. Is this a flaw? Is this a good quality? I don't know yet, but it is a path I'd like to try.

Thumbs up Thumbs down

ksabers wrote:

I'm sorry, Osprey.

With this sim I would like to explore some key concepts:

• The responsibility and the sacrifice. In a sense, a Dreamcatcher is a superhero. He can save lives, but the personal price is very high. Imagine to have just one minute to interrupt whatever you are doing, wherever you are, to save the life of a complete stranger who maybe is on the other side of the world and who will not even remember you afterwards.

• The fears. When a Dreamcatcher enters the Dreamworld, he has no idea about what he will meet. Every Hunt is different, because the Dreamworld is partly shaped through the mind of the victim. The monsters which live there literally feed on fear.

• The mystery. I should say that the whole concept of this sim is based on a novel that I am currently writing. What I have told until now is nothing more than the basic premise: the plot will evolve, bringing more questions and doubts. For example... why the disappearances are increasing? Why sometimes you catch glimpses of other persons in your Hunts? Are there other Dreamcatchers out there? How could you contact them in the real world? And... why some victims start to remember something about you?

See now you're just pulling me back in. Tell you what, I'll think about it and see if I can work up the guts to join.

That and the policy on how threads will be handled.

Thumbs up Thumbs down

There will be two threads per character, one set in the real world and the other one in the Dreamworld. If the players are interested, it will be also possible to play the personal stories and the prologues.

Thumbs up +1 Thumbs down

A brief note about the powers of the Dreamcatchers when they are in the Dreamworld.

Contrary to the victims, they are fully aware to be in another dimension, whose appearance is partly created by the psychic energy of the beings who live or arrive there.

It's like being in a lucid dream: the Dreamcatcher can alter the appearance and the rules of the Dreamworld just with his willpower.

The catch is, every little change requires a lot of psychic energy. So I cannot jump there, find a monster and simply say "I wish that you disappear". But I can create a weapon to fight it, fly for a while, alter my aspect, I shoot some lightnings from my fingers, change the weather.... the examples are countless. But every manifestation of power reduces my energy reserves, and if they drop to zero, well... not only I fail to rescue the victim, but I am forever unable to return to the real world. Very Bad Things, I said in the proposal. At least if another Dreamcatcher cannot reach me in time. But wait? Other Dreamcatchers? I talk too much.

Thumbs up +1 Thumbs down

oh... such intrigue!!!!!

I really like the concept of this sim, however I have already much on my plate and adding another sim to it would just be too much for me right now. But I think you have a very interesting concept for a sim here.

Just one word of warning about your idea of having much more interaction between the separate players and the GM: don't underestimate how much work that will be. It means you have to work hard on all the separate stories and keep all of them going. And all the players will depend on your posting to be able to continue with their own.

-Mischa

http://i13.photobucket.com/albums/a281/hollyzuzu/6bd9dace-1d9f-469e-b069-b872b1d826dd_zpswfifvw2x.jpg

Thumbs up +1 Thumbs down

Mischa Brendel wrote:

Just one word of warning about your idea of having much more interaction between the separate players and the GM: don't underestimate how much work that will be. It means you have to work hard on all the separate stories and keep all of them going. And all the players will depend on your posting to be able to continue with their own.

Yes, you are right. But it is more or less the same thing that you are doing with TLJ, which has at least three separate stories right now, and you are doing it very well. It is a risk but I am willing to try!

Thumbs up +2 Thumbs down

Thanks for the compliment! smile

It was actually the exact situation I was refering to: the situation of the separate timelines evolved from me having every player start at a different place, simply because that favored the story. However, I quickly learned that it was a lot harder than I thought to get the players together, without forcing it too much.

But having separate storylines is indeed very fun (and also a lot easier to handle when one player drops out). A tip: make notes. Lots of them. Because you'll probably end up creating a lot of NPC's who need their own stories and backgrounds.

http://i13.photobucket.com/albums/a281/hollyzuzu/6bd9dace-1d9f-469e-b069-b872b1d826dd_zpswfifvw2x.jpg

Thumbs up +2 Thumbs down

Your advice is very good! Being an amateur writer, I am used to taking notes. Actually I use Storybook and yWriter for my novels, and they are great tools to keep track of characters, locations and subplots. It will be half of the fun for me!

Thumbs up +2 Thumbs down

This sounds intriguing...

SW Accipiter:  Elora  |  SW Invisec:  Karis Durante  |  The Dreamcatchers:  Seren Yates  |  The Longest Journey:  Ciara Stedman

Thumbs up Thumbs down

So how is energy measured mechanically, and how does our characters know if they're near bingo fuel as it were?

Thumbs up +1 Thumbs down

Osprey wrote:

So how is energy measured mechanically, and how does our characters know if they're near bingo fuel as it were?

This is a very good question, one that actually has two answers.

The IC answer is: the characters just feel their energy. Every astral body is connected to the physical one through a Ribbon, a sort of psychic umbilical cord which has two purposes: it is used to find the road home, and to "power up" the astral body. The characters can measure their energy just looking at the "color" and the "thickness" of their Ribbons.
(Victims have Ribbons too, but they have no idea how to use them. Usually they are not even able to see them. But a victim's Ribbon allows the monsters to find his physical body and to devour it after eating the astral one. It's up to the Dreamcatchers to lead the victims along their Ribbons and to push them back in the real world).

The OOC answer is: I plan to use a points system. Every character will have a certain number of "energy points", and I'll track how many points are spent for each action.
What I am still unsure of is if sharing explicitly this information with the player ("You have 6 points left out of 20 and this action is going to use 4 of them") or just transmit it through the narration ("you are very tired and you feel that this attack is going to exhaust your energy almost completely"). I will decide lately.

Thumbs up Thumbs down

Furthermore, in the Dreamworld there could be something able to restore some small quantities of energy. Someone even says that not everything down there wants to kill you... Unbelievable, right? But do no expect to find gas stations...

Thumbs up Thumbs down