Topic: Award system

As we reach the end of another year and the six-month anniversary of Phoenix Independence Day, I feel that it is appropriate for us to create an awards system.

The form of this awards system should be determined by the players in a vote. I would favour a popular vote system for a number of key awards. These would include:
* Player of the Year
* Best SC
* Best GM
* Best New Player (we won't need that just yet as we're all new)
* Best Sim

Plus some other more humorous awards, like best one-liner, scariest character, etc.

There is one award that I feel should be given out on a one-time basis. I have suggested it a number of times publicly and privately. We should never forget our roots and the events of July 2010. Therefore I propose The Order of the Black Ball.

This award would be given to all who resigned from a certain RPing site during July 2010 and participated in the events that led up to it. For those who said no to tyranny and selective interpretation of the rules. To those who said yes to accountability. To our founders.

Re: Award system

Thanks for making a formal motion, Silent. Prior to the elections (and during) I had mentioned I wanted to get the ball rolling on this, but I had not yet drafted a proposal. So you've saved me the trouble of having to do it.

I'd also like to see:
Player of the month
1 year membership badge
2 year membership badge
(etc)
SC badge (for those who are running/have run a Sim)
GM badge (for those who are GMing/have GMed)
EC Badge
TC Badge
GC Badge
Coordinator badge? (for those who have held an appointed coordinator office?)

And perhaps some thing to recognize those who play in multiple sims, such as:
I Wear Different Hats - maybe only awarded to those who play in every "category" of sims that we have.

I also like the idea of coming up with clever names for the badges. For example, the PotY could be You Really Like Me! or the GC badge could be Heil, mein Führer!... unless that's a little too politically inappropriate. wink

http://www.phoenix-rp.com/img/pips/4.png http://oi60.tinypic.com/5otabo.jpg

Thumbs up Thumbs down

It's been 65 years since the end - I we can poke a little fun at a certain chap named Adolf, shows we haven't let him leave a legacy of fear big_smile

-Euan

People were poking fun at him while he was still alive. Even Chaplin did it.

Poking fun at totalitarianism is good, sure (my first election campaign in the old country featured the tagline "Vote Ash as Supreme Dictator" struckthrough with the actual office I was running for scribbled in nearby. But I think we'd do well to avoid actual Hitler jokes. Did you not hear about the Italian president's Hitler joke gaffe?

At a rally he "launched into a series of anecdotes and apparent jokes that promptly drew accusations of anti-Semitism and even mental instability from opposition politicians. The former cruise ship entertainer told a joke in which Adolf Hitler is begged by his supporters to return to power after they discover he is still alive. After resisting, Hitler says: 'I'll come back, but on one condition ... next time I'm going to be evil.' Fabio Evangelisti, a member of parliament for the opposition Italy of Values party, demanded Berlusconi apologise to Israel and the Italian Jewish community. The party's leader, Antonio Di Pietro, said: 'At this point the problem is not political or judicial, but psychiatric.'"

http://www.guardian.co.uk/world/2010/se … itler-joke

I'm also not hot on the idea of an awards system, but I appreciate other people are. At the very least we can put a motion together and run a vote on it.

I think it'd be reasonable to have the following (from your suggestions so far and my own thoughts):

Awards:

Player of the month
Possible some more light-hearted awards, like best one-liner, scariest character, most noble character, etc.
Sim of the Year (I'd suggest this be objective and numerical based on the number of posts or possibly a ratio worked out from the number of posters/posts)

Badges of Honour:

Yearly membership badges (i.e. for 1 Year's Membership, 2 Year's Membership, and so on)
SL badges (for those who are running/have run a sim; one for each sim)
GM badge (for those who are GMing/have GMed a sim; one for each sim)
Coordinator and Officer badges (for those who hold/have held an official coordinator/officer position; one for each position)
Badges to recognise multiple sim involvement (2, 5, 10, 15, 20, 25, 30 sims played in, etc)
Badges to recognise post numbers (1,000, 2,500, 5,000, 7,500, 10,000, etc)

I'm not so sure about Silent's Order of the Black Ball idea, though. I agree we shouldn't forget our roots and the events of July 2010 and everything that led up to it, and I do believe we said "no" to tyranny, opposed selective interpretation of the rules, and said "yes" to fairness, justice, and accountability, and were summarily exiled from our home community because of it, but speaking for myself, I'm more comfortable the 'Order of the Black Ball' being an informal thing. I respect the choices of those who didn't stand with us in or before July but have since joined Phoenix; I assume that they made the best choice they could based on the information they had available to them. As such I see the Order of the Black Ball as something that exists - I'm a member of it and proud to be so - but not something we need to fossilise in anything official. Phoenix is here, Phoenix is great, and Phoenix is getting even better all the time, and that's legacy enough for me. If that makes any kind of sense to anyone, I don't know.

Ash

Thumbs up Thumbs down

I'm not too sure about awards either. I'm certainly not opposed to them, but I do think they need to be thought through. One of the things I wasn't too fond of at AJJE Games, was the fact that the CO's needed to hand out a minimum number of awards each year to their crew. I understand the idea behind it, but in practice this could (and maybe already had in some cases) have lead to CO's making up silly awards simply to reach their quotum.

As for naming the awards: it might be a fun idea to hand out awards that come from parodies of the respective sims or other fantasy/SF comedies. For instance, instead of the Heil, mein Führer!, you could opt for a quote from the still very funny movie Space Balls: Jawohl, Lord Helmet, which then should apply to a Star Wars award.

-Mischa

http://i13.photobucket.com/albums/a281/hollyzuzu/6bd9dace-1d9f-469e-b069-b872b1d826dd_zpswfifvw2x.jpg

Thumbs up Thumbs down

Mischa Brendel wrote:

As for naming the awards: it might be a fun idea to hand out awards that come from parodies of the respective sims or other fantasy/SF comedies. For instance, instead of the Heil, mein Führer!, you could opt for a quote from the still very funny movie Space Balls: Jawohl, Lord Helmet, which then should apply to a Star Wars award.

-Mischa

...I love this idea! I think having awards JUST BECAUSE OF THIS naming idea is a good idea alone! lol

Along the lines of player of the year/month/etc. awards, how about something like "Hairiest Feet" award (new personal fav) or "The Biggest Troublemaker in Hobbiton" awards for Lord of the Rings sims, or perhaps an "Attention Whore...I mean Companion" award, "Shiny Hat" award, or "Fuzzy Kneecaps" award for Firefly sims, or "I Survived on (enter ship name here) and Got the Shirt" award for Star Trek sims (referring to both Red Shirts and those souvenir shirts - could possibly be an image of a red shirt with the quote on it), or "Survived a Month under Lord Vader" award or "I Blew Up the Death Star" award for Star Wars...?

~Robert

http://i41.tinypic.com/2q2e0ig.png

Thumbs up Thumbs down

I've never seen any harm in SLs or GMs casually handing out random unofficial awards (I do this when GMing sometimes) but I'm less comfortable with them being something which is essential across the site. Sounds a bit top heavy for my liking.

Ash

Thumbs up Thumbs down

I agree. Awards should not be forced.

I'll go with the majority view on the "Black Ball" thing.

The Order of the Black Ball does seem rather suitable, although given that it was through LOTW that we truly severed our ties, I think it would be even more suitable to pick a Firefly-oriented name. Perhaps "Independents" or "Browncoats" might be too vague, but maybe the "57th Overlanders" would make sense (that's the unit that Zoe and Mal were in during the Battle of Serenity Valley).

Considering we all fought for our own bit of Serenity, I think it's only too suitable.

~Robert

Last edited by RLongtin (2011-01-04 16:45:44)

Thumbs up Thumbs down

I like the idea of using Spaceball references...

"Snotty beamed me twice last night." would be a good ST award. wink

Thumbs up Thumbs down

Perhaps give SLs the perogative to dish out awards as they see fit on their sims, just for kicks? The only site-grade "oh look, we consider it quasi-important-ish!" ones would be stuff like Sim of the Year, done purely objectively, and others that seemed fair. We don't have to make a big deal about them, it might even be better if we don't, but no reason we *can't* have them smile

-Euan

RLongtin wrote:

The Order of the Black Ball does seem rather suitable, although given that it was through LOTW that we truly severed our ties, I think it would be even more suitable to pick a Firefly-oriented name. Perhaps "Independents" or "Browncoats" might be too vague, but maybe the "57th Overlanders" would make sense (that's the unit that Zoe and Mal were in during the Battle of Serenity Valley).

Considering we all fought for our own bit of Serenity, I think it's only too suitable.

~Robert

I like your thinking, very much so. The war was also being fought in SGU and RTE, though, and maybe even in SFHQ as well. Anna, Will, and many of the players in Phoenix's SG sims suffered oppression and fought back in AJJE's SGU, and Silent valiantly led the fight for freedom from corruption and tyranny in RTE. But yes, I'm a member of the 57th Overlanders. :-)

Ash

Thumbs up Thumbs down

Euan Reid wrote:

Perhaps give SLs the perogative to dish out awards as they see fit on their sims, just for kicks? The only site-grade "oh look, we consider it quasi-important-ish!" ones would be stuff like Sim of the Year, done purely objectively, and others that seemed fair. We don't have to make a big deal about them, it might even be better if we don't, but no reason we *can't* have them smile

-Euan

That would, overwhelmingly, be my preferred way of doing this. Would that scratch the itch enough for the folks wanting awards?

Ash

Thumbs up Thumbs down

Ash Leighton Plom wrote:
Euan Reid wrote:

-Euan

That would, overwhelmingly, be my preferred way of doing this. Would that scratch the itch enough for the folks wanting awards?

Ash

Yes, that sounds a brilliant suggestion.

Silent

Agreed - it was much appreciated when the awards would roll out in the past, but honestly it had the feel of "everyone gets one when they kick it up a notch" - almost like being inducted into a society of sorts, and once there the glamor of the induction started to fade as other people kept getting the same award.

I think it's best to let SLs issue awards freely, although perhaps not excessively. If someone does an extremely good bit of roleplaying at one point I would argue an award should be issued in close proximity to the event that earns an award for good roleplaying (as an example). I don't think (except by SL decision) regular awards should be used. Perhaps awards could be posted by the SL in a separate thread for the sim concerned?

~Robert

Thumbs up Thumbs down

Ash Leighton Plom wrote:
RLongtin wrote:

[...] but maybe the "57th Overlanders" would make sense (that's the unit that Zoe and Mal were in during the Battle of Serenity Valley).

~Robert

I like your thinking, very much so. The war was also being fought in SGU and RTE, though, and maybe even in SFHQ as well. Anna, Will, and many of the players in Phoenix's SG sims suffered oppression and fought back in AJJE's SGU, and Silent valiantly led the fight for freedom from corruption and tyranny in RTE. But yes, I'm a member of the 57th Overlanders. :-)

Ash

big_smile

Thumbs up Thumbs down

Excellent suggestion. Groups of SLs, of course, may want to band together to draw up similar awards.

Indeed, and a separate forum for groups of sims might be desirable for group-wide (i.e. the Middle Earth Sims as a group) set of awards. There could be a thread for each group award - since this is larger scale, I imagine simply having a list of players and dates would suffice as a thread all its own.

It might, on the group or site level to have inductions into societies, so to speak. I wouldn't want to encourage politics within politics, too many wheels, not enough axles, so to speak. But when you get to much larger scales, if you have too many awards I think you set people too far apart - i.e. many awards means criteria for certain awards, and so only a select few will meet the criteria that others will feel they meet yet do not get rewarded for, and no criteria for a large number of awards makes the awards meaningless (so there's a problem there). Too few and either it loses meaning (and then makes it necessary to make more awards) as people receive the award early and expect not to be rewarded again, or it becomes a mini-society, the latter of which I think is more desirable. It might set people apart, but not as much as having too many awards.

So in summary: on the large scale, too many awards drives people apart, too few the awards and the only way to hold it together is by creating mini-societies.

On the small scale I say give out awards as often or as little as the SL likes and make the awards unique (i.e. not "player of the month" but something the player might get a kick out of, i.e. "Badass Browncoat", "Nerf Herder", or "Picard's Favorite Redshirt")

That's my opinion anyways. smile

~Robert

Thumbs up Thumbs down

I'm glad. I like your thinking. I'd be reluctant to encourage anything that founded an exclusive 'elite'.

I'd suggest the sim-level award idea isn't something that needs voting on. As far as I'm concerned, SLs are already empowered to offer awards to their players (particularly of the sort Robert suggests; "Badass Browncoat", "Nerf Herder", "Picard's Favorite Redshirt", etc.), and groups of SLs are likewise empowered to talk together about area-level awards.

A site-wide award system would need a vote, I think. And it'd need a firm proposal before that. Anyone want to draft one and post it here?

Ash

Thumbs up Thumbs down

Certainly.

I propose we have an award & badge system that includes the following:

Awards:
Player of the month
Sim of the Year
GM of the Year
SL of the Year
New Player of the Year

Badges of Honour:
Yearly membership badges (i.e. for 1 Year's Membership, 2 Year's Membership, and so on)
SL badges (for those who are running/have run a sim; one for each sim)
GM badge (for those who are GMing/have GMed a sim; one for each sim)
Coordinator and Officer badges (for those who hold/have held an official coordinator/officer position; one for each position)
Badges to recognise multiple sim involvement (2, 5, 10, 15, 20, 25, 30 sims played in, etc)
Badges to recognise post numbers (1,000, 2,500, 5,000, 7,500, 10,000, etc)

The award system would work as follows:
SLs would nominate a single player in their sim they think should get the award. SLs, GMs, and elected officials will vote (privately) on who should get the award. Those SLs, GMs, or officials who are on the ballot will abstain. In the event of a tie, the GCs vote counts as 1.5 votes. If the GC is on the ballot, no tie breaks will occur and multiple awards will be given.

Badges will require no vote, but will be awarded when the specific requirements for the badge are reached (as outlined above).

In addition, this proposal recommends the GC appoint an award officer who would coordinate and oversee the giving of awards and badges, as well as gathering nominations and coordinating the votes.

Edit: Added Silent's suggestions in order to keep everything in the same post.

Last edited by Jason Andersen (2011-01-19 00:45:32)

Thumbs up Thumbs down

That's an excellent proposal. We could work these badges into player profiles pretty easily.

Could I also suggest for the Awards:
GM of the Year
SL of the Year
New Player of the Year

You certainly can. Let's keep this discussion open for at least a week, and then we'll summarise and close the proposal, and move it across to the EVC for voting. Sound like a plan?

Euan, can you add this thread to the ones linked under "Come make your opinion known on site adminy type things"?

Ash

Thumbs up Thumbs down

Sounds good to me, gents.

Thumbs up Thumbs down

Cool. Let's keep it open for a bit longer yet, as there hasn't been much talk on it.

Silent, could you blog about this thread?

Ash

Thumbs up Thumbs down