Topic: Content in RPs

Having just seen an uncensored F-bomb in one post, I think it's time we set some broad guidelines as to what is and isn't acceptable in posts on this site.

We don't want to set it the barriers too low; but too high would also be an issue.

Last edited by Silent Hunter (2011-02-07 16:45:07)

Re: Content in RPs

How about 'f**k' as example?

Krista

Last edited by Krista Bäckman (2011-02-07 18:35:50)

Thumbs up Thumbs down

I suggest each SIM cater to genuine wordplay of it's parent show/game or at the SL's discretion if it's a mature game or creation. Of course, all SIMs with mature content should be labeled eventually.

IE. "Gorram", "Frak."

Considering most of our basis is from PG-13 shows/movies/games, I would expect characters and players alike to keep to that, if only for simplicity.

~Aidan

Thumbs up Thumbs down

Or some Mandarin!  big_smile

~Robert

http://i41.tinypic.com/2q2e0ig.png

Thumbs up Thumbs down

multi-cultural RP site.... GO!

Thumbs up +1 Thumbs down

On the likes of, say, Umbra - "a pirate ship in the truest sense" - I'd be surprised to not see occasional swearing, but "gorram" and the like are available in the 'Verse. However, take something modern day - swearing is just part of life, and as long as folks are aware it might happen I'd say the SL should get the call on whether to allow it, or say "censor up". It's their RP. Obviously, I'd only advocate it where appropriate in-character.

-Euan

I'm with Euan on this one. I'd rather not see swear words censored, honestly.

http://www.phoenix-rp.com/img/pips/4.png http://oi60.tinypic.com/5otabo.jpg

Thumbs up Thumbs down

Likewise. Certainly some people will prefer not to see swearwords at all, but for those that don't mind swearing or seeing swearing, 'censoring' swearwords probably seems a bit weird.

We're bound to have diverse opinions here, though. I find socially ubiquitous phrases like 'Oh my God' or 'Jesus' (when carelessly used or not used as a form of prayer) infinitely more offensive than the 'f-bomb' (one of the few 'swear' words I use), though my personal general rule is to keep a decent tongue. My characters don't all agree, though, and I believe it important for verisimilitude to allow them the full range of their expression.

The bottom line, I think, is that what language is permitted in a sim is up to the SL, and that SLs should generally be true to the genre of their sim in terms of the language they allow.

I've stickied this thread. Euan, do you think it's worth adding a link to this thread on the Rules page, below the disclaimer about sex, drugs, and sausage rolls?

Ash

Thumbs up +1 Thumbs down

I love how the sausage rolls have entered main administerial parlance big_smile Sure, why not? I'll get it as soon as I've posted up.

-Euan

Probably should put it there.  Otherwise he might be accused of playin' hide th' sausage....  big_smile

http://talesoftheunicorn.net/rhiannonsm.png|
Rhiannon

Thumbs up +1 Thumbs down

Keeping one's sausage hidden is generally preferable to flashing it around all over the shop, though.

Ash

Thumbs up +1 Thumbs down

I think the words "sausage" and "sausages" have been now used in my life more often in Government parlance than it has come up as a choice of food in the past year. I can't even recall the last time I've even eaten a sausage, but it seems to have garnered more importance for me here than at any other time in my life!  lol

I suppose it's always helpful to be reminded to laugh every once in a while, so I don't think this is a bad thing! Besides, we're supposed to be having fun here, so why not?  big_smile

~Robert

Thumbs up Thumbs down

And with that good conclusion, I believe I'll close this thread. It'll remain linked from the Rules tab, as per Euan's webwizardry.

Ash

Thumbs up Thumbs down

It occurs to me that we never voted on this as a Bill/Motion, and I feel we should if we're to add it to the newly voted Members Policy section of the Rules page.

How does this look as a simple policy:

Content in RPs:

1. What content (language, violence, drug use, scenes of a sexual nature, etc.) is permitted in a sim is up to the SL, within the constraints of our host's Terms of Use.
2. SLs should generally be true to the genre of their sim in terms of the content they allow.

Ash

Thumbs up Thumbs down

I would add a number 3:

3. SLs should warn where content is likely to cause offence.

I'm thinking of the sort of warns that we in the UK get on film posters, such as "Contains Moderate Sex, Strong Violence and Fantasy Spiders".

- Silent

PS "Fantasy Spiders" is of course the one used for the second Harry Potter film...

Agreed.

Ash

Thumbs up Thumbs down

Oh man, I HATE fantasy spiders. So glad I don't play in any of those types of sims!

Thumbs up +1 Thumbs down

"Item 4. Fantasy spiders of all sizes, shapes and colors except purple are hereby forbidden in any form under any cirmumstances. Failure to comply with this guideline is punishable by untimely death. Compulsory excommunication waived if death highly ironic, for example being bitten to death by aforementioned spiders."

No, but to be serious I have three points I'd like to make in this discussion.
1) As a non-native speaker of English, there are some nuances when it comes to swearing that are very difficult for me to understand. As such, the debate over 'the f-word' has always went a bit over my head - after all, most of the English-language fiction that I read or view contains highly objectionable language to the point where I almost inevitably am more surprised by the lack of it than vice versa.
2) Because of this first point, the same problem makes itself heard when I try to produce English-language texts. Either I avoid the use of swearing or I use it quite freely when I feel it seems appropriate to the rest of the text. Though appropriate in the context it might be, there are few nuances in between the two extremes and I have never been able to understand how offensive it might be for some people. There does not seem to be many casual but meaningful swears exactly, perhaps barring 'bloody' or 'damn' as far as I understand.  Does 'hell' fall under the same category?
3) It is in light of the potential offensiveness that I  can agree on the view that this should be up to the SL (though personally and due to the points previously made, ideally I'd see a site-wide implementation on anything goes, but I understand there are people who find that kind of language a lot more offensive and probably with just cause. As stated earlier, some nuances are lost in translation.) there needs to be clear guidelines on the usage stickied in the sim. To be honest, I think this is an area that could use some improvement overall. Very few sims provide guidelines for things such as AWOL limit, swearing, style, amount of player control etc. I think a master document for each sim would simplify a lot for newcomers as well as the SL, if universal site rules cannot be implemented (and they won't be because the sims are way too dissimilar for that.)

Last edited by Michael Aker (2012-03-16 01:12:45)

Thumbs up +1 Thumbs down

Wow, I like the idea of a sim level master document that lays out the sim "rules", especially if we can all agree on a template that the document will follow. It could even be a requirement for getting a new sim up and running (no master document, no sim). smile

Thumbs up +1 Thumbs down

I guess it isn't relevant to this topic, but yeah, I think it would be a good thing. Perhaps start a new topic about it?
Sorry for repeating myself, but to summarise what I think on this subject:

I have no problems with swearing and what kind of sim the SLs are running should be up to them. (And it'll be a lot easier to find out what kind of sim they are running with a master document, as opposed to now when it's mostly guesswork and trying to do what the others do.) I think this should not be regulated unless the SL expressly wishes otherwise.
In my opinion, swearing is just as with grammar and content - it is ultimately up to the player's own responsibility to make sure the posts are written with proper care and consideration. Nobody in their right mind will go "oh, this is a freezone and anything goes, voluntary Tourette's activate!" if the SL states that he or she doesn't mind swearing. We already depend on players to make sure their character's behavior is in line with the character. Why not do the same with the language they use?

Thumbs up +1 Thumbs down

All very good points. I'll open a thread called 'House Rules' to take your 'master document' idea further.

Also, and this is just my curiosity and you're in no way obligated to answer, but what's your first language? From how well you use written English, I had no idea you're not a native speaker!

Ash

Thumbs up Thumbs down

Ash Leighton Plom wrote:

From how well you use written English, I had no idea you're not a native speaker!

Ash

Likewise! Kudos to your command of the English language! (Kudos is a way of saying "well done")

~Robert

Thumbs up Thumbs down

Where does that word come from? :-)

Also, meant to say regarding the 'less' offensive 'swear' words: it varies regionally, and perhaps by socio-economic class and other factors as well. My mum's side of the family who're from Yorkshire casually use some words that my dad's side of the family who're from Essex wouldn't use, and vice versa. I'm sure there are similar differences between regions of America, Canada, Australia, etc.

In my opinion, all this variation does rather lend itself to our not having an authoritative centralised position statement but to allow variation across the sims so players who would prefer to avoid what they find unpleasant could avoid the more liberal sims.

The importance of allowing people to make informed choices does rather lend itself to having visible published house rules as you suggest above.

Ash

Thumbs up +1 Thumbs down

It dates back to the 19th century in English but the word is actually Greek: kydos, meaning "praise or renown".  wink

Edit: should add that given its root, despite the conventions of the English language, kudos wasn't actually not a plural noun although for nearly a century we've adapted it to be plural, allowing for the singular "kudo" to be given as well.

...the more you know...

~Robert

Last edited by RLongtin (2012-03-16 18:06:32)

Thumbs up +1 Thumbs down

We have the option of automatic word filtering. Do people want to consider that?

Silent