Topic: From the Office of the General Coordinator

Thought I should note here that on the 1st of this month the SLs, GMs, Coordinators, and Officers began the first of Phoenix 3-monthly reviews, the next one therefore being due around the beginning of February when we'll see what's changed.

I've invited all our Coordinators, Officers, Sim Leaders, and Gamesmasters to feedback to me their thoughts and feelings, insights and concerns on how things are going for their office/sim and encouraged them to share success stories in the many cases where things are going well, so the whole site can benefit from this pool of experience and knowledge.

As individuals begin to reply, I've been following up on their responses and have CCed the Contender and Deputy GC in on my responses, in the interests of transparency and accountability to the membership, to help make sure all offices and sims get reviewed to the same standard.

Ash

Last edited by Jason Andersen (2011-11-30 04:02:25)

http://www.phoenix-rp.com/img/pips/4.png http://oi60.tinypic.com/5otabo.jpg

Thumbs up Thumbs down

Re: From the Office of the General Coordinator

The proposed "constitution" of Phoenix Roleplaying, the Roles & Responsibilities Bill 2011, along with two sets of policies for the administration and member behaviour have been put up for discussion in the Management forum.

The plan is to put the legislation to a vote from 15 December.

Silent Hunter
Acting General Coordinator
5 December 2011

Thank you Silent, and let me reiterate my profound gratitude here for everything you did during my absence!

I understand voting hasn't opened on these Bills due to a lack of response or comments. We'll therefore be moving them forwards in the near future.

Ash

Thumbs up Thumbs down

As for the Review I started back in November, I've posted about it here and will report on it shortly before the GC elections.

Ash

Thumbs up Thumbs down

Just to note: our election cycle has begun, with nominations for the position of Elections and Voting Coordinator. If you haven't already, check out the Elections and Voting forum to participate.

Ash

Thumbs up Thumbs down

Phoenix is on Twitter! Follow us @phoenix_rp

Ash

Thumbs up Thumbs down

We've got lots going on to report about, not least a slew of sim proposals initiated by Michael Aker, our newest member. Should we have a superheroes sim set in an existing franchise's universe, like X-men or Heroes, or the Victorian-set Rippers universe, or an original sim concept of our own members' making? Maybe all of the above?! And don't forget the Skype roleplay idea Robert suggested. We just need a few more players and can set a date!

Check out the Sim Proposals forum at http://www.phoenix-rp.com/viewforum.php?id=50.

Ash

Thumbs up Thumbs down

I'm really excited to announce several current simming opportunities: the new superheroes and supervillains sim has opened under the leadership of one of our newest members, Michael Aker. Michael joined our community on the 29th of February and has already been so active both in the RPEs and in the site forums that I was delighted to afford him the opportunity to run a sim of his own.

Meanwhile, Silent Hunter, prolific sim creator and among other things our Sim Support Officer, Deputy General Coordinator, and Deputy Alliance Building Officer, has negotiated a joint sim with our friends at Safe Haven-Band of Brothers. The sim will be set in the same near-future Earth as our Fighter Ops sim and will interact with events and characters in Fighter Ops, but the new sim will be hosted at Safe Haven-Band of Brothers.

Their community has 3 historical period sims (1600's France, English Royal Navy in 1798, and the American Civil
War), 5 contemporary/near-future sims (including Stargate, NCIS, post-apocalyptic),8 sci-fi sims (including Firefly, Star Wars, Traveller, and original concepts), 5 fantasy (including Dragon Age, steampunk, and tabletop-inspired), and no fewer than 21 Star Trek sims (including Enterprise Era, the Dominion
War, and two non-mainstream).

They play by Forum, SMS, Nova, Yahoo Group, and Google Group, with each sim setting its own rules and canon. Check them out here: http://st-bob.net/

Finally, Silent has also been busy working on a sim set in the Honor Harrington universe, described as "Horatio Hornblower in space"; a military sci-fi set two thousand years in the future, following an officer in the Royal Manticoran Navy, as she defends her kingdom against the threat of the People's Republic of Haven and enemies on her own side. Please do get in touch with Silent on [email protected] or post in the Sim Proposals forum if you want to know more.

Thumbs up Thumbs down

Avast, me harties, we have a proposal for a pirates sim opening! Plenty of ways to run such a sim, so do go share your thoughts in that thread.

Meanwhile, let me take this opportunity to remind everyone of the EVC election schedule:

Nominations: 13th March - 3rd April
Campaigning / Q&A: 27th March - 10th April
Voting: 3rd April - 17th April.

Nominations therefore close very soon, and voting will open immediately after that. All members should receive an email inviting them to the vote. If you don't, contact me on [email protected] and cc in the EVC.

Ash

Thumbs up Thumbs down

Everyone should, I hope, have voted in the EVC elections already by now, but if not, be aware that voting closes on the 17th.

General Elections for the General Coordinator (GC) and Technical Coordinator (TC) will begin soon after that, with nominations followed by campaigning and voting.

As we're nearing the end of this term in office, now is a timely opportunity for me to summarise the State of the... um, Community. My Deputy General Coordinator Silent Hunter and myself conducted a review from 1st November 2011 to 3rd February 2012, which I've mentioned before and want to feedback to you in detail all now. Here are some highlights:

Election and Voting Coordinator (EVC) Robert Longtin noted that an integrated voting booth (rather than using Ballotbin) would be useful, and stated his intention to pursue this with the TC. Robert had also been busy in his capacity as Roles and Responsibilities Officer, contributing overwhelmingly to the legalese which Silent, Contender Jason Andersen, Technical Coordinator Euan Reid, and myself had also been working on and which subsequently passed in three of the recent voted Bills. Most of the Policies and regulations in these Bills still need uploading to the site, and this is something I want the Technical Coordinator to prioritise.

As Sim Support Officer (SSO), Silent Hunter reported a lack of sim proposals towards the end of 2011, but already by the end of the review - and certainly subsequently - things were picking up. We should see successful sim proposals as good things as they broaden our RP community and have the potential to draw in players from fanbases we might not currently be appealing to.

Robert and Silent had also been hard at work as Alliance Building Officer (ABO) and Deputy Alliance Building Officer (DABO) respectively, noting in the review a feeling that alliance-building is properly the province of the membership through members networking with other sites. Robert suggested an Alliance Building Team or some other means of encouraging members to share links with other sites. We also explored approaching fan communities for specific genres and universes (for example Star Trek, Stargate, Wheel of Time, Mass Effect, Doctor Who, etc.), and advertising our existence (and the awesomeness of our sims) there.

Member Welcome Officer (MWO) Kevin Diamond was getting into the swing of things greeting new players as they register. It is a concern of mine that new members haven't always been consistently greeted, and I believe we all agree that a new member's welcome is of paramount importance. Kevin was also working with TC Euan Reid on emailing and deleting inactive members from our User List as per our policies on site AWOLs.

In his capacity as Blog Admin Officer (BAO) and Steam Admin Officer, Silent stressed that he'd really like people to contribute content and comments to the blog, and for the Steam facility to be more active. Deborah, Silent, and myself considered a survey to seek to understand why people aren't contributing, but RL issues got in the way for Deborah and me. As such, this is a project that might benefit from resurrection.

Jason reported slow but steady progress in his capacity both as Wiki Admin Officer (WAO) and Awards & Rewards Officer (ARO). He greatly values people contributing to the wiki, and has been taking the Awards scheme forwards. He's been delayed in the latter by some technical faults, which Euan is looking into, and I for one look forward to this progressing.

A number of Coordinators, Officers, SLs, and GMs didn't respond to the review, and I think next time the GC will need to make it clearer to individuals that they are expected personally to respond.

Several SLs and GMs reported no problems, including Mischa Brendel, SL of the Odyssey, Dondi 'dratliff' Ratliff, SL of the Zombies sim, and Nick Buchanan, GM of the West Star, and likewise several thanked the admin team for the work that we do. I took the opportunity presented by the review to encourage SLs to appoint ASLs and delegate tasks to them, to contribute content to the wiki, and to consider setting AWOL policies. Some setbacks were acknowledged, for example a steep decline in activity on the Greenleaf Skyplex sim after its initial interest, but the impact of the Thanksgiving-Christmas-New Year's holiday season was recognised, and I'm pleased to note Greenleaf achieved the highest Sim Strength Ranking in March. Some sims were identified as concerns both during the review and subsequently through subjective analysis, and the admin team have since compiled a rolling list of sims being actively reviewed and supported, not to mention Silent's objective Sim Strength Ranking measurements which will be useful in providing context for what constitutes a good level of activity for a sim.

A perenial problem identified by the review seemed to be player shortages, and it is my hope that more pro-active advertising and alliance building, especially in pre-existing fan communities, might impact on this.

An additional suggestion arising from the review was to repeat it once every 6 months, not every 3 months as I had initially planned. The review itself took three months to research and collate, and one at the end of a GC's term of office in March or April, published like this one, followed by one in the middle of the following term in August or September, should be sufficient.

Further thoughts I have on projects that will need undertaking in the next term include doing something about the Index. The current order just doesn't seem to me to be the best way of doing it, with the most bouyant areas at the top and sims which could do with more footfall all the way down at the bottom. We've generated discussion on improvements we might make, but so far these haven't been conclusive. Many suggestions have involved what seem to me to be quite tech heavy, but we have a cosiderable backlog of tech projects such as adding a "+1" facility for members to 'like' posts, and adding 'badges' recognising long-term membership, etc. It's my firm opinion that the Technical Coordinator needs to appoint a Deputy or even a tech team so tech projects don't all fall on one pair of shoulders (however broad and strong those may be, Euan!).

Finally, in the interests of honesty, I would add here that I am not seeking another term in office as GC at this time. Having been your GC since the inception of the post - and my time in office having spanned two periods of martial law sandwiching one period of genuine democracy - it's the obvious thing to me to assert before nominations that I won't be running for another term. I hope that this will facilitate the deepening and strengthening of our democracy, encouraging others to run and bringing Phoenix a period of fresh leadership.

I feel like I want to add something positive after that previous paragraph has made this whole post feel to me a bit like a swan song, but all that is really left to say is thank you everyone for making this community everything that it is. I'm so proud of the victories we've achieved in such a short time, and so excited about our future.

Ash

Thumbs up Thumbs down

It is exciting that we're opening yet another new sim in Phoenix, this one set in the popular Wing Commander universe. Silent Hunter will be SL, and I'm very happy to see this sim has already drawn at least one new member to our community.

Well done, Silent, and congratulations!

With several other sim proposals currently being discussed, we've got a lot to look forward to in Phoenix RP.

Ash

Thumbs up Thumbs down

Just noting here that nominations for candidates for General Coordinator and Technical Coordinator can be submitted until the 13th of May. All members should have received an invite from Elections and Voting Coordinator Robert Longtin; if this is not the case, please contact [email protected] and [email protected]

Campaigning started on the 7th, and voting starts on the 13th. For more information, click here.

Meanwhile, the Sim Strength Rankings for April are up and can be viewed and discussed here.

Ash

Thumbs up Thumbs down

Voting continues in the election for General Coordinator and Technical Coordinator. If you haven't received your email from the Elections and Voting Coordinator inviting you to vote, please email [email protected] and [email protected] Polling closes on the 27th.

Meanwhile, progress towards our first annual awards continues, too. The Friend of Phoenix award has been posted in the 2011 annual awards thread in the Awards forum.

Ash

Thumbs up Thumbs down

Hello, I'm Silent Hunter, your new General Coordinator.

I am currently appointing the new government of Phoenix. Many people will retain their current posts, but these posts will be renamed. I am going for a British Cabinet feel to the overall titles. There are no current plans for a Lord Privy Seal, though.

OK, membership review - we have 67 accounts here, but about 20 of those are inactive and probably need pruning. We gained five members last month, recruited via adverts on that The Longest Journey fan site that Mischa posted on, a news story on WCNews.com and a post about Fighter Ops on Planes and Mercs.

Our active sim count stands at 30, ten of the sims being set in the wonderful world of Joss Whedon's Firefly, an appropriate one considering our roots.

I'm going to be collating SSRs for this month and I'll post these in the dedicated thread.

Silent Hunter
General Coordinator
Phoenix Roleplaying
1 June 2012

I have sent a test broadcast email - please check your spam boxes to make sure that is received, but no action needs to be taken.

I may use this in future if we have some downtime or something urgent has come up.

Silent Hunter
General Coordinator
6 June 2012

Can I please remind Phoenixians that it is generally a good idea to check your spam boxes - there may be an email from another player in there.

In addition, we are currently discussing a newsletter - please contact Mischa Brendel if you are interested.

Silent Hunter
General Coordinator
28 June 2012

In six days time, Phoenix Roleplaying will be celebrating its second birthday, having been formed on 8 August 2010.

From our humble beginnings, we now operate 28 sims, nine of them in the Firefly setting, which is arguably our 'home' setting. It would have been 31, but we had to close three sims yesterday due to inactivity.

Our membership base is firm and active. We have 50 accounts with 10 or more posts, although a number of those are now left the site. Many of our members post on a daily basis and this helps fuel activity, while giving the impression of activity to others, vital for increasing and maintaining our membership.

Our activity has slowed down a bit due to the holidays, but many of our sims are continuing with great plots, wonderful characters and strong dialogue.

We now reach a phase in life where we metaphorically must go down some stairs. At the bottom of the stairs lay a shining railway platform where we will catch a train that will take us to our next destination. And since I don't like pretentious management speak, I'll stop here.

I want us to be a name in simming, talked about in the same breath as such stalwarts as STF, Federation Sim Fleet and Task Force 92. It's going to take a while, I know, but I'd like to.

What I'd like every member to do is try and spread the word about our site. Mention us on your blogs, link to us in your signatures, tweet about us. The more people know, the more will join the club.

Now, let's sim!

Silent Hunter
General Coordinator
Phoenix Roleplaying
2 August 2012

It's been more than a few months since I've posted here, so I'd better do so.

We've now got a referendum on that will decide some key policies on the way that our sims are run and organised; I would encourage you to vote in this, as we would like a high turnout.

A couple of new sims have been added recently - AW75 and Saunders Inc. I like the fact that we are developing original sims and not sticking to just one or two existing worlds; this sets us apart from other sims.

Finally, I would wish all those reading this a Merry Christmas. May you have an enjoyable and restful time.

Silent Hunter
General Coordinator
Phoenix Roleplaying
13 December 2012

As discussed, I have made some adjustments to the categories - moving Wing Commander and Corporate Espionage to join Fighter Ops in the renamed Military and Espionage Sims category.

Silent Hunter
General Coordinator
Phoenix Roleplaying
24 February 2013

We are currently in the process of having our third set of elections for General Coordinator and Technical Coordinator - please get involved in the debate and the voting!

Silent Hunter
General Coordinator
Phoenix Roleplaying
23 June 2013

Due to a lack of activity, An Baile Ur has been closed down.

Silent Hunter
General Coordinator
Phoenix Roleplaying
3 July 2013

We hope to soon be holding the vote in our elections for General Coordinator and Technical Coordinator.

In addition, plans are currently being discussed to rename SGB-2 and expand its focus; with other new sims also in the pipeline.

Silent Hunter
General Coordinator
Phoenix Roleplaying
5 July 2013

Jason Andersen is appointed as SL of our new post-apocalyptic sim Radioactive.

This will remain a featured sim until 10 September 2013.

Silent Hunter
General Coordinator
Phoenix Roleplaying
10 July 2013

RavenSkycatcher is appointed as SL of CANIS Pacifica.

Silent Hunter
General Coordinator
Phoenix Roleplaying
2 December 2013

Phoenix Roleplaying has won four awards at the prestigious Tournament of Simulations, the results of which were announced today, its second year of success in the prestigious contest, which was last year called the Simulations Cup.

The first victory went to The Dark Cometh and CANIS UK, which collectively won the prize for Best Adventure/Fantasy Sim; this was not awarded last year.

Another new award was in fact tied - Best Dr. Who Sim was collectively shared between AJJE Games' Doctor Who sim and our own The Triple First.

For the second year in a row, Phoenix won Best Firefly Sim; this year's winner was The Elemental with previous winner Kvant not entered by its SL this year by personal choice.

Finally, Fighter Ops, which won the Excellence in Creativity award last year (Excellence awards were not given out this time) won its second award for Best Military Sim.

There was however disappointment in Best Star Wars Sim: this award, won last year by The West Star, went to Star Wars: Shadow Squadron at Federation Sim Fleet.

Co-chair Chas Hammer said, "It was a pleasure to review Phoenix Roleplaying for this year's ToS.  You offer a diversity of genres that I do not believe is matched anywhere else, and the quality of your games is reflected in those who won in this years ToS".

A warm congratulations to all the winning sims and players, Phoenix or otherwise.