Topic: So jealous...

http://thechive.files.wordpress.com/2010/10/awkward-photos-4.jpg

http://i41.tinypic.com/2q2e0ig.png

Thumbs up Thumbs down

Re: So jealous...

Grrr..... Nice event wherever that happened.

Well... blimey.

Ash

Thumbs up Thumbs down

IF that were me, I don't think I'd have quite so much space between me and Jewel Staite. *come here, snag!* smile

I'd also need to grow a third arm so I could have it around Summer Glau as well.  lol

http://www.phoenix-rp.com/img/pips/4.png http://oi60.tinypic.com/5otabo.jpg

Thumbs up Thumbs down

Jason Andersen wrote:

I'd also need to grow a third arm so I could have it around Summer Glau as well.  lol

There has got to be a bad Reaper joke in there somewhere...

Thumbs up Thumbs down

Jason Andersen wrote:

IF that were me, I don't think I'd have quite so much space between me and Jewel Staite. *come here, snag!* smile

Amen to that! Also with as much as I loved Morena Baccarin in Firefly, she doesn't do it for me in this pic. The other two still actually look the way they did on Firefly/Serenity. Morena just doesn't sport the long hair...

And I do feel bad for Summer Glau over on the side. Jewel Staite could have had an arm around her or something, make her more involved... *mind wanders*

~Robert

Last edited by RLongtin (2012-05-05 14:01:59)

Thumbs up Thumbs down

Morena is just recovering from the haircut they forced on her for V. It would be nice to have it grow back out to proper Inara length. Mind wandering too... gonna pull out Firefly discs again....

Last edited by Zuzutoo (2012-05-05 19:52:12)

Specifically the sponge bath? So you can see what length her hair was, I mean, by measuring it against her body?

As for V, didn't she have short hair in Stargate, too?

Ash

Thumbs up Thumbs down

Okay so...my cousin just called me because apparently Comic Con is going on in Ottawa right now (2 1/2 hour drive from where we live), so I'm going to go have fun for the day!

I will also be wearing my Jayne hat when I go because Adam Baldwin will be there. Totally gotta get a picture and an autograph! Will definitely post pictures!!!

~Robert

Thumbs up Thumbs down

Have a great time Robert.

At long last they finally opened Professional registration for San Diego Comic Con. Now my daughter and I are figuring out Costumes. We are considering Jayne and Kaylee for at least one day.

-Kevin

Nice! And as it turns out I'm not going today because we couldn't get tickets, sold out and all the scalpers were doing what they do best which is selling tickets fast or not selling them at all because of overinflated prices.

But Sunday wasn't sold out so we bought tickets and now we're going!  big_smile

And Adam Baldwin is still going to be there!

~Robert

Thumbs up Thumbs down

Just don't mention politics near him and it'll be awesome big_smile

-Euan
Argued on Twitter with said Mr Baldwin about oil and its ability to run out

Euan, tell us more. I'm preaching in a village church on behalf of Christian Aid tomorrow evening, including on the need for transition economies to sustainable, renewable, clean energies. Rio +20 is this year. I have debated with a Pastor who believes that as long as there's a Christian or a Jew alive on the Earth, God won't let the oil run out, though, so I recognise there are other points of view. My personal theology is that God gave us a good amount of resources and we squander them, so when oil runs out, we'll only have ourselves to blame. I also think the best evidence shows we reach Hubbert's Peak this year.

Robert, have an amazing day! Sounds like a great time. I've been to Comic Con in the UK a couple of times (in Milton Keynes and in Manchester) and Deborah and me (and Mike Palmer and others) met Jewel Staite and told her about online Firefly roleplaying. :-)

Ash

Thumbs up Thumbs down

Yes I remembered about you talking about his twitter being too political. I'm actually going to give him a card or something and ask if he could post a brief tweet about us on his twitter. That would be super awesome if he did...amid the political battlefield.  smile

~Robert

Thumbs up Thumbs down

He does post geeky bits and pieces in between smile And I seem to recall we eventually reached a heated consensus that 140 characters is too little to make a meaningful argument in, and that whilst technically there would always be oil on Earth it would reach a point when there would be functionally none left since the supply would have dwindled to the point that demand would simply not be large enough. We disagreed on when, and on the implications, but as mentioned twitter doesn't really leave room for making an argument.

Simply put, we really need to hurry up and properly move to renewables. And even if there was ample oil, the atmosphere can only handle so much CO2.

-Euan

On the bright side, the hole in the ozone layer is starting to recover, but millions of people nevertheless continue to suffer from the impacts of our changing climate, carbon emissions continue to soar, and – the crucial thing is – global temperatures are still rising.

In one of my email exchanges with MEP Sir Graham Watson this week just gone, he's a great man, we were discussing the inter-related themes of climate, renewable energy, and food security. Christian Aid are doing a Rio +20 Campaign remembering that twenty years ago world leaders met in Rio de Janeiro for the first ever summit to discuss sustainable development, and that world leaders are again meeting in Brazil this year for the 'Rio+20' anniversary.

While we have made great strides, much more does urgently need still to be done.

Robert, let us know how the convention goes. It would be so awesome if Adam Baldwin posted about Phoenix RP!

Ash

Thumbs up Thumbs down

The hole in the ozone layer closing is good, but that's just because we don't use CFCs as much now. CO2 wouldn't put a hole in that, it just traps more and more heat. That's a massive over-simplification, but to be more accurate would take a dose of typing, a looking over of old notes, and time I can't really justify taking away from revision.

-Euan

Okay so I wrote a very long post on Facebook which I will just copy+paste over here (because I don't think re-writing it could possibly help me better assign words to a day that went beyond adjectives). But I'll start by mentioning all of the other things more pertinent to Phoenix Roleplaying.

Firstly, I got our name out there a bit - mostly one person who took a particular interest in the roleplaying I do, which naturally led to telling them about Phoenix Roleplaying so we may very well pick up a new member in a few months when she gets a new computer (she went so far as to say she had to get a new computer now, meaning now that she knows about us).

Secondly, Euan, I talked to Adam Baldwin about his twitter. I asked him to tweet about us but he began explaining that he doesn't use his twitter and that he uses a bot to do some tweeting. He advised that I stay away from his twitter because apparently he gets a huge kick out of people arguing with "him" when it is in fact a bot doing all of the "arguing". His explanation about his twitter sort of cut short my request for a quick tweet about us and though I did get to explain what we do, the talk about his bot and the laugh about getting people to argue with a computer pretty much gave me his answer. He wasn't unwilling, but he doesn't actually "tweet".

But on the plus side, a Firefly-centered organization was there handing out fliers and they have a website and everything, so I'm going to contact them about a banner exchange (YAY!) and who knows, we might just tap into a large network of Firefly fans who might jump at the chance to come roleplay with us!  smile

Okay, here's my Facebook post...

Today is too difficult to put into words but here's my summary that does the day only some justice...

I wish I had said "There are lots of superb actors and actresses here today, but the only one I came here to see was you" to Adam Baldwin when I met him at the signing. It was such an honor to meet my BDH (Big Damn Hero for those who don't know - it's a Firefly thing).

I got two things signed by him. One was a (pre-generated) picture of him as Jayne with his Jayne hat on (see my pictures and look for the orange, red, and yellow goofy looking hat) and looking down the barrel of Vera. The other was my arm so I could get it tattooed on there. KIDDING! (that would be pretty epic though) The other was my Serenity RPG book which I realized was a great thing to have him sign because then I can start collecting all of the signatures of the crew of Serenity in one aptly chosen book.

I got a photo taken with him which will come in the mail - they were trying to print them all so that people could take them with them before leaving the con, but it got to be too long of a wait and we had to go so I'll just look forward to receiving it via
mail.

And lastly I saw his Q&A which was awesome. He is such a funny guy, and I really appreciated everything he had to say. Most of the questions were about Firefly and he shared so much about it that I will never forget.

Adam Baldwin aside, I dressed up as Jayne and was only one of 2 people to put forward a significant effort in doing so. Most people just wore Jayne hats and then plain street clothes. One guy had a military-esq jacket which was a reasonable effort, but I wore camo cargo pants, shoes that closely resemble boots if the pant legs come low enough (and mine did), the Blue Sun shirt (which I only just bought), the Jayne hat, and I even wore my brown coat (which I've owned since before Firefly started up). I know Jayne wasn't a browncoat but still...I did a pretty damned good job for just grabbing things I owned and putting it together. I even shaved and left the 'stache and goat to look more like him.

A lot of people complimented my outfit, a number of people wanted pictures, one person wanted a video interview, and a good number of people chatted me up because of my obvious Firefly fanaticism. It was really such a pleasure to have gone dressed up as such a beloved character and to have received such a strong response to confirm my hopes that I had pulled it off. Thank you everyone that went to Comic Con Ottawa who shared with me such a strong love for the show and for Jayne.

You know it's funny - it was a great experience that I will never forget, but I didn't realize how truly great it was until I got home. I'm so thankful that I was able to see Adam Baldwin and so thankful that I got to meet tons of cool people who share my interests and so thankful for this entire day.

And of course I'm thankful for my mom and my step-mom who are BDH's in their own right. After all, with as great as it was to meet Jayne, the Jayne hat is a symbol of love from a mother to her son and by Jayne wearing that hat shown his love for his mother. I did not forget Mothers Day, and it was touching that Adam Baldwin didn't forget Mother's Day either (as he so warmly wished every mom there a Happy Mother's Day). Happy Mother's Day to my Grandma Longtin (who made my Jayne hat which I wore proudly today, even though it was so hot outside in the sun) and Happy Mother's Day to my Grandma Bates and Happy Mother's Day to my Grandma P.

And of course a very special thank you to my cousin. Had she not called me yesterday first thing in the morning about Comic Con I would have missed out on one hell of a day.

Truly a great day. Keep flying, and Happy Mother's Day to all the mom's. :-)

Oh and if anyone wants more details about what Adam Baldwin said at his Q&A...

He didn't really answer a question that was (roughly) "Is there a glimmer of hope for Firefly coming back?" His response was roughly "We'd all love to do it but it's in Joss' hands."

He was asked about whether he was happy with the ending of Serenity and revealed that there were concepts and plot elements already designed for a 2nd and 3rd movie back when they made Serenity (the whole audience let out a very sad sound expressing a feeling Adam too felt about the idea of there being more) and made a comment that he revealed moments later was (possibly) a spoiler. I'm sure everyone will want to know what the spoiler was for the end of Serenity and the continuation of the story and then it will make what I'm about to do seem a little silly, BUT I leave the option with you to decide whether you want to see it or not (on the off chance The Avengers raises enough money and Joss feels encouraged to get Firefly's momentum going again...maybe you'd rather not know). Highlight the next few lines to see the spoiler at your own discretion. I can't claim to know this is canon by the way since Adam left us guessing a little...but it's pretty damn compelling and would be a worthy seed to plant if they wanted to create enthusiasm for future Serenity movies.

Adam Baldwin said about the ending of Serenity (and I quote): "I would have let Wash survive.......oops, was that a spoiler? ...too bad." He chuckled briefly after saying that. So what I'm getting from this is that we were meant to believe Wash died, and that furthermore the Alliance was meant to believe Wash died? What could that mean, he's infiltrating the Alliance? The mind boggles, but if you've read the Serenity book for Shepherd, it doesn't sound so far-fetched.

Oh also I found the hardcover of the 2nd Graphic novel, Serenity - Better Days (And Other Stories) which is significantly longer (100+ pages) than the 3rd one which was dedicated purely to Shepherd Book.

~Robert

Thumbs up Thumbs down

I suspect a lot of his tweets are bot-based, yes (since they're retweets of things), but the @replies definitely aren't - since they'd pass the Turing test.

As to the spoiler - yikes

Turing test?

~Robert

Thumbs up Thumbs down

Turing test. Basically, a test which determines whether or no it's distinguishable from a human.

Robert, that is so overwhelmingly awesome. I especially love that you got your Serenity rule book signed. That rocks big time. Also awesome that you got all the kudos for your costume! And I bet that girl you mentioned fancied you. ;-)

Ash

Thumbs up Thumbs down

Ash Leighton Plom wrote:

Robert, that is so overwhelmingly awesome. I especially love that you got your Serenity rule book signed. That rocks big time. Also awesome that you got all the kudos for your costume!

Ash

It was so awesome. I had to pay double (Edit: meaning I had to pay twice, once for each signing - I'm a master of confusing sentences) to get the book signed but it was so worth it. And yeah, my costume was pretty epic for not actually planning ahead of time to go as Jayne.

Ash Leighton Plom wrote:

And I bet that girl you mentioned fancied you. ;-)

Ash

Dunno...then again I'm fairly oblivious to these sorts of things...so yeah, I dunno.  tongue

~Robert

Last edited by RLongtin (2012-05-16 01:28:07)

Thumbs up +1 Thumbs down

Interesting thing for him to say (in regard to the spoiler). Makes you wonder what could have been (or may still be).

Glad you had fun!

http://www.phoenix-rp.com/img/pips/4.png http://oi60.tinypic.com/5otabo.jpg

Thumbs up Thumbs down

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v333/rlongtin/Jayne.jpg

This is the picture I got autographed. Still waiting to hear back about the one from my Photo Op.

~Robert

Thumbs up Thumbs down