Topic: You know nothin, Jon Snow

After our wonderful award shindig this past Saturday, the discussion turned to possible new sims and one of those that was mention (and I am really interested in), is a Game of Thrones sim. But there are things to consider.

a: Do we do canons, even though we don't know those characters outcomes?

b: Do we do PAST canons, those that little is known about.
Like Lyanna Stark,the Targaryens

c: Do we go back to the FUTURE, which again brings us to the not knowing a characters outcome.

d: Pick a start point and have members of lesser houses like bannermen, that little is known about.

So let's have it folks! What's everyone's opinions?

Re: You know nothin, Jon Snow

I personally reckon a blend of D and A... That way we can be our own character and make our own mark on the universe, but then we have the opportunity to interact with characters from the canon, and it would also potentially give the GM liberty to change things up and create our own story smile

Say that Joffrey never becomes King, instead Stannis is installed, and what happens as a result or whatnot tongue That's just my two cents anyway tongue

http://oi40.tinypic.com/t8uufd.jpg
"If you live in the UK, dial 999. If you live in the USA, dial 911. If you're from another country... SO SORRY."

Thumbs up Thumbs down

Take an AU curve from a particular point?

Exactly smile

"If you live in the UK, dial 999. If you live in the USA, dial 911. If you're from another country... SO SORRY."

Thumbs up Thumbs down

I didn't mention the AU, because I thought no one would like that direction!

I think I'd almost prefer an AU curve, except possibly in the direction of PAST events, e.g. while Targaryens still sat upon the Iron Throne. I think that would be the PERFECT time for intrigue. Loyalties for and against the Targaryens, or maybe at the start of Balon Greyjoy's rebellion...?

...actually, I think either would give you a blend of a, b, and (though not necessarily) d. And we could start in a situation that would avoid AU completely but allow for it much later on down the road as we start approaching canon.

Honestly though, Targaryens I think would be way better than Balon's rebellion. Because, y'know...Targaryens in power, I have to think they're terrifying people to have as leaders and then it wouldn't be so different from the present timeline from beginning to end of the show/books...and I think that would make for some VERY compelling writing.  big_smile

~Robert

http://i41.tinypic.com/2q2e0ig.png

Thumbs up Thumbs down

So AU only if we pick a starting point and move forward from there. If we do past (which little is known about except the outcome), then we would keep the history as is.

I am happy with any of the above.  smile

Thumbs up Thumbs down

Shouldn't this be in Game Proposals?

Why? This isn't a proposal. It is a general discussion about how such a game would possibly work.

So are we any further forward in this? Would anyone like to make a game proposal?

I'm just really keen to play in it.  big_smile

Thumbs up Thumbs down

I can understand that! smile I'll see about getting a proposal posted up!

I was looking through the AJJE archives just now and found that someone actually proposed a sim based on the books in 2008. Might be interesting to know.

Last edited by Silent Hunter (2015-06-01 08:06:15)

Yeah I was actually the one that proposed it in AJJE. I was going to have it be set before the first book after Robert claimed the throne. Of course this was all before the show exploded on to the scene so it didn't get past the proposal due to lack of interest. I can try and dig up my old notes on it if anyone is interested?

Thumbs up Thumbs down

Sure, David! Can compare  ideas and see what will work best.

Can I just add that this week's episode ("Hardhome") was simply brilliant?

Looks like I may have lost my old proposal when my external hard drive got ruined. I do still remember it pretty well though.

Basically it was set a few years after Robert claimed the Iron Throne from the Targaryens and before the Greyjoy rebellion. I was planning on only focusing on Westeros locations and would have expanded to Essos if there was a player want for it. I felt this time period was perfect as it provided a time period where we wouldn't run into too many canon events so players would have lots of freedom with events within the RP. It also provided a framework around it with canon events that players could have been apart of (Robert taking the Throne) or can be later involved in (Greyjoy Rebellion).

As far as Roleplay wise for players I had some guidelines. First players could be members of any house as long as they were not the head of a canon house. They could also make their own house and be the head of this new house as long as it fit the theme and setting of the books (I.E.  No House Gamerz or some such nonsense). This player created house would have to be a minor house however. There is actually a good system in the newer Song of Ice and Fire roleplaying (table top) game  for making houses that I was gonna use on a guideline.

There was more so if you have questions just ask and I can answer them.

Overall I felt this was a good balance of utilizing canon material into the RP while still having some freedom for players to do what they want.

I would be more than happy to spearhead this thing though so let me know what you all think!

-Tarzan

Thumbs up Thumbs down

I'll email you and see what we can work out, David!

Sounds great! And again, glad to have you back! I'd be in favor of the proposal you described!  big_smile

Thumbs up Thumbs down

Sure thing Misty. I will await your email. I am very glad to be back with you guys too!

Thumbs up +1 Thumbs down

Alright everyone, I am working on an official proposal for this sim and need 3 interested players. Any takers? I am currently in the middle of moving to a new place but I should be able to get the proposal done with very soon.

Thumbs up Thumbs down

I will deffo go for a spin smile

Thumbs up Thumbs down

I'm certainly interested. Albeit, I'll be a little preoccupied until the 25th.

Last edited by Zuzutoo (2015-06-14 13:24:25)

Zuzutoo wrote:

I'm certainly interested. Albeit, I'll be a little preoccupied until the 25th.

ditto

Same!

Thumbs up Thumbs down