Topic: Bethesda's Rage

Has anyone else played this:

http://www.rage.com/en

It's a post-Apocalyptic Role Playgame/First Person Shooter by the makers of Skyrim, set in an "after the cataclysm" meteorite-struck Earth, and is every bit as much a sci-fi western as Firefly, with some uber futuristic tech alongside some 19th century-style American West stuff, plus Mad Max style cars, Reaver-like baddies who just keep coming, flagrant Steampunk influences, mod-able weapons (such as the exploding cross bolt...) and constructable gadgets, and a hundred other winning features. Deborah bought it for me and I'm massively enjoying it at the moment. It's a little linear for an RPG but exceptionally RPG-esque as an FPS, so it's more on the RPG side of the continuum than FPS, in my opinion. I strongly recommend it. :-)

Ash

Thumbs up Thumbs down

Re: Bethesda's Rage

I would, if I could.

Thumbs up Thumbs down

What's stopping you? No xbox?

Ash

Thumbs up Thumbs down

Is there a demo on XBox Live?

http://www.phoenix-rp.com/img/pips/4.png http://oi60.tinypic.com/5otabo.jpg

Thumbs up Thumbs down

Oh yes! About an hour of gameplay, showcasing the steampunk/Firefly-esque town of Wellspring, some of the engineering of tools and weapons in game, and some of Reaver-like enemies. It's fab, but not a patch on the game itself.

Ash

Thumbs up Thumbs down

Played through the demo a bit ago... my assessment, unfortunately, was that it was underwhelming. Here is kind of a mini-review of some of the parts of the game. Unfortunately there are more cons than pros.

Pros:
The ambience of the town was great, as Ash says. Very steampunk, with steam vents everywhere and the overall feel just as Ash describes above.
Promise of lots to do, especially things that are "sidequests" to the main story

Cons:
Promise of lots to do, especially things that are "sidequests" to the main story. Normally I wouldn't also think this is a con, but the fact of the matter is most of the sidestuff just isn't very interesting (several of the "games" are merely time wasters, with no decision making). The only interesting side game was a card game that had very little strategy to it (pick your best cards and cross your fingers), but the deck is made up of cards you have to find around town, which while an interesting way to get people to look in all the nooks and crannies, is just as tedious as it sounds. The racing portion of the game appeared to have promise, until I realized I couldn't actually qualify for a time trial unless I simply kept the finger on the boost pretty much the whole time. And that was on the easy level. If the racing scales, I don't think its possible to qualify on the insanely hard levels.

The perspective was a little off. I noticed after an hour or so I was getting a headache. This used to happen to me when playing 1st person shooters back in the old days of Doom, but most modern day FPS don't do this to me. This one did, making me think that the peripheral vision was slightly warped, maybe to allow a wider sight range. Or could just be me, but something definitely seemed off about the game.

No custom controller setup. Want to make your attack be "B" instead of "X", or jump "A" instead of "Y"? Too bad, your stuck with the controller scheme they give you (besides inverting the thumbsticks).

Not that I really wanted to change the controller setup that much, but the problem with the demo is that it tells you pretty much NOTHING. Want to know how to jump? Better hit random buttons until you find it. Oops, watch out for that grenade you just pulled the pin on! Better throw it quick! What do you mean you don't know what button to use?

This was a HUGE problem... if you are going to put out a demo, don't you want it to shine? This didn't shine at all. You can't simply drop people into a town and expect them to have any idea what is going on. Maybe if you had great storytelling to reveal bits and pieces as the game progressed, great. For this demo, there was none of that. In fact, the first thing you are told is, "Remember, you're supposed to go visit the mayor!" Remember? When was I told that? I just started for God's sake! It felt like it was put together by someone who had already played the game some, knew what the plotline was, knew the control scheme already, and didn't realize that the foreknowledge they had was influencing the decisions they were making to the demo.

The town had a lot of interesting looking characters. Too bad they didn't say or do much. Most of them just watched you as you walked by. Some of them stood in random places in town, having no purpose other than to hold up the wall or take up random space. One woman told me that some club was no longer open. I don't see how it could have ever been open, as the "door" that the sign was pointing to actually just exited to the other side of the town. If that was a club, no wonder it wasn't in business anymore.

The game itself had huge logical holes in it, too many for me to forgive it. One of the NPCs said I could get a lot of money if I found water in the desert and brought it back. For some reason, he didn't realize there were DRIPPING PIPES right outside the door. One of the back alleys of the town had a veritable torrent of water running from a pipe. If water is so precious, how come it's running like crazy in Wellspring, a town by the way built ON TOP OF A WELL (not really, since...

Wellspring isn't actually built on a well. Yes, the "main" mission you are sent on is to save the town's well from some bad guys/zombie like whatever the hell those things were (who, by the way, must be super badass since they can take a point blank shotgun blast in the face and keep on coming... yay for no logic!), however, the "well" is more like some kind of deep mine with random pipes to nowhere and a huge section of catacombs for no apparent reason. And then, when you get to the "final" battle, some how a bunch of do-gooders from up top got in front of you to take out the gang with your help. Why the hell they weren't there from the beginning thinning out the hordes of zombiod freaks in front of me, I have no idea.

Well, I take that back. I have an idea. It's because where the well actually is located was a totally separate entrance from the one I was made to go in, that was only about fifteen feet away from the other one (Not sure who designed this "well", but either they were totally insane or there is some MIGHTY tough rock between those entrances that take miles of catacombs to meet up). So THAT is how all those other guys went in. Why didn't the tell me in the first place?

I also like how the mayor says if I do the job I'll be "taken care of". If that isn't foreshadowing betrayal, I don't know what is.

By the way, I sure wish I could have seen what I look like in that weird suit, considering the few things the lethargic town folk said to me had something to do with how I was dressed. Not that I'd know. And when i do finally get dressed into something else, I have to choose between 3 sets of clothes, with no option to try something on to see if I like it (in fact, the game tells me quite clearly that the choice is final. I'm assuming this is some type of class selection mechanism, but it is handled very, very poorly.

Lastly, the decision to look down to grab stuff off bodies seems kind of interesting at first (do I risk looking down to loot and risk someone sneaking up on me?) but after the 50th body it becomes tedious. Not to mention that you get jack squat off the bodies, so I hope you stocked up on ammo first! What do you mean, you had no idea what kind of guns you had, what you were facing, or anything like that? You just have to play the demo through first so you know these things!

The serious lack of ammo in the mine/well was a giant detriment to gameplay. Especially at one point where you turn a wheel to open a gate (not that there was any learning involved prior to that to show you that turning a wheel would open a gate - so when the gate opens way off screen you are somehow just supposed to intuit that it is doing that), and EVERY time you turn the wheel enemies jump out. The idea here is that you turn the wheel and drop the bad guys as you run through the gate. These guys have obviously never played Portal before, or perhaps they'd have some idea about "level" design. If you want someone to understand how your world works, you have to show them that situation in a none-pressure situation. Simply having a hallway with a gate and a wheel the same as this one would have clued me into what was happening. Instead, I sat and wasted ammunition, thinking this was the "final" battle and that perhaps every time I turned the wheel I was shutting off the poison supply or something.

All in all the game (demo, at least) was just very poorly executed, and I was finding at the end of the "mission" that I just wanted it to be over with already. Not enough steampunk awesomeness and too many rough edges earns this one a thumbs down for me.

Anyway, I'm glad you are enjoying the game, Ash. Personally I'm going to give it a pass. It has promise but the demo was filled with way too many cons for me to believe that I'd enjoy the game at all.

-Jason

http://www.phoenix-rp.com/img/pips/4.png http://oi60.tinypic.com/5otabo.jpg

Thumbs up Thumbs down

Well... I liked it. :-P

Ash

Thumbs up Thumbs down