Topic: An Baile Ur

I'm now planning on re-opening this sim in the near future. Who's in?

For those who don't know much about this sim or need a reminder, here's everything below...

Tír gan teanga, tír gan anam.
                                                                A country without a language
                                                                  is a country without a soul.

These words stand carved into stone in the center of the town of Caladh Slàn, translated “Safe Port.” The town itself is nestled between four sources of raw materials and food: a vast forest which supplies the town with lumber and hunting grounds, small mountains for minerals and ores, rolling fields for raising livestock and growing crops, and the ocean which provides fishing.

The planet, aptly named An Baile Ùr – The New Home, was first settled in 2255, just 15 short years after the terraforming of Bernadette. The first settlers were 55 in number, and sometimes referred to as “the 55 of 55.” They made their way from Londinium, leaving word with the rest of their families where they were headed, ar ais go héirinn as they would say, or “back to Ireland.” It was made clear that this place was only for the Irish and anyone with a different opinion wasn’t welcome.

Though the planet might have many continents, islands, peninsulas, rivers, mountain ranges, etc., the rest of the planet’s terrain remains relatively unknown to the Irish settlers as all are quite pleased to remain in their chosen corner of the globe. In fact, sightings of strange animals accompanied by unfriendly weather not too far off shore give the settlers reason enough to stay put.

For the most part, the planet itself is relatively stable. No major natural disasters are known to occur, apart from off shore, weather tends to be fair, enough rain and plenty of sunshine to grow crops, a regular day and night cycle with a rotational period of approximately 24 hours. The planet has 2 moons which make regular appearances in the sky.
A day in the life…

It is the 19th century reborn with an Irish spin, in the year 2300. Trousers, shirts, vests, and cravats for men, petticoats, skirts, conservative bodices, and sometimes bonnets for women – this is the standard town apparel. Shades of green, brown, red, blue…varieties make their appearances, though everyone has adopted a conservative look, especially in this Christian community.

Despite the desire to keep Gaelic a thriving language, English is still the dominant language spoken, though it is often sprinkled with Gaelic expressions and words. Mandarin is frowned upon; people tend to think of Mandarin as retrogressive, especially when they are trying to establish Gaelic as the primary language. In school and in church, Gaelic is used frequently to try to improve the community’s overall use and comprehension of the language.
For the most part, people are friendly and willing to lend a hand as everyone has a responsibility for the betterment of the community; however, asking a person to lend a hand isn’t a simple matter: farmers rise early and bed early and typically work the entire day through, miners are rarely seen during waking hours, fishermen are bringing in the daily haul, the blacksmith has work to do, and so on. Suffice to say everyone is very busy, until the evening hours when the pub becomes the only place to be.

Being Irish, for the residents of Caladh Slàn, of course means that nicknames are common place. Eventually two Seans, Pattys, Timmys, or Murphys have to pop up in the same town. Irish nicknames are quite amusing and follow the theme of picking a second first-name that has a similar beginning to follow the person’s actual first name, eg. Timmy Tommy, Sean Séamus, John Jacob. Also in the line of names, places and groups of people have traditional Gaelic names, such as the Pub (derived from the Gaelic word pobal, meaning community – used to indicate the local tavern), the Guard (derived from the Gaelic word garda, meaning Guardian – the name given to the Police, short for The Guardians of the Peace), the Caladh (Gaelic for the port), the Gabha (Gaelic for the blacksmith), or the Còmhargadh (Gaelic for the market).

Politics and Law…

The Town Hall is the single building attributed to all Legislative and Judicial action in town.

The Council of Elders runs things mostly, though the general public has the right to raise issues at the Town Hall. Some argue The Pub controls the town economics, but they’re probably a few pints short of opening a bar. The town considers itself a Meritocracy; that is, only the most intelligent are capable of ruling. Elections are irregular and only occur when the town feels the need to appoint a new Elder.

Town Meetings occur on Mondays and Thursdays. All are welcome to come to the meetings, and anyone can speak at the meeting after being acknowledged by the Council of Elders and given permission to speak. Town Meetings are fair, and will typically last 2-3 hours depending on how much there is to discuss and decide on. The people may cast nominations, raise issues and make suggestions, but ultimately the Council of Elders are the only people allowed to vote.

A Judge was appointed by the Council of Elders from a list of nominees presented by the people to represent the judicial body. When a court appearance was scheduled to be made, two people from town selected as unbiased jurors are notified and required to appear at court to help decide whether the accused was guilty or not guilty. The Judge and the two Jurors would vote and the majority vote would decide whether the accused was to be sentenced. The sentence is always first suggested by the accuser, but the Judge may make a decision to reduce the suggested sentence to one which is fair.
Court is held irregularly - whenever the need arises. The Guard are responsible for holding the accused in the event of a crime against the town, which typically means Court is scheduled as soon as possible to keep the Guard from spending all of their resources on monitoring the accused, and they are also responsible for seeing out the sentencing of the guilty provided it is more than just a fine.

Apart from the occasional necessity for the creation of legislation, The Holy Bible is the most quoted source of Law, primarily because they were a Christian town and secondly because they had no use for the vast libraries of legal nonsense back on Londinium or Bernadette as they were a small town and didn’t need much beyond the simple and most respectable laws.

A piece of legislature that was created is quoted as having said the following: Citizens may NOT make arrests or take the law into their own hands; HOWEVER, the Town Law clearly states that disputes may be decided by a fight on the field of honor on the border of town by either of the following manners: fist fight or sword fight. Should a person be slain in the fight, charges as appropriate will be taken against his opponent as it is illegal to kill another person, even on the field of honor. Both parties should agree on a mediator and find a doctor to oversee the fight. Should the doctor or the mediator declare that one of the parties is beaten, then the dispute is decided in favor of the victor by a fair fight.

Some History…

There has only been one instance in which a motion for an election was made to appoint someone regarded as “young” to the Council, back in 2285. The nominee was Sean Séamus O'Callaghan, the 25 year old re-discoverer of the method for creating Black Powder. After Sean Séamus’s miraculous discovery, Sean Séamus petitioned the Council to allow Black Powder and Black Powder Guns to be used and made. The town was in an uproar when the Council refused to consider it on the grounds that this was highly progressive and would result in the destruction of society at the end of a gun. Sean Séamus shared his discovery with the people at The Pub, explaining how black powder would revolutionize hunting tactics and better equip the people against possible foreigners and enemies in the future. Conversations carried on throughout the week, and the Council who were none too keen to allow such an infestation to continue in town decided to call on the Guard to arrest and imprison him. At the next Town Meeting, the entire town arrived and unanimously nominated Sean Séamus to the Council. The Council of Elders quickly saw the error in their ways, and saw fit to release Sean Séamus from custody and to allow the creation and use of Black Powder and Black Powder Guns for civilian and Guard use. In later years, Sean Séamus was elected to the post of Town Judge, partially because of his vision regarding the use of guns, but mostly because the people respected him for his intelligence and the Council of Elders felt that the post would be best filled by one respected by the people.

There have been reports of animals with strange, unnatural behaviors on the planet. Reports show signs that these animals may be rabid, though things such as loss of fur, or the unusual degree to which animals avoid light during the evening and night time suggest more is at work. Increased animal violence is not apparent, but the exact nature of the animals is entirely unknown. Lumberjacks and hunters tend to notice them on walks through the woods yet remain unharmed, and the Guard’s night-time watch notice the animals occasionally but that is all that is known. Reported sightings date back to around the time the planet was first settled but thus far these animals have not presented themselves as an obvious threat but hunters are certain to never capture or kill any of these creatures as the nature of their condition is entirely unknown.

http://i41.tinypic.com/2q2e0ig.png

Thumbs up Thumbs down

Re: An Baile Ur

Glad to see this is coming back!

well You know RObs i will be happy to retake on my roll of ASL if you want me too.  Will just need to make a new someone not named Iasan O

Come on! Vampires! Grrr! Nasty! Let's annihilate them, for justice, and for... the safety of puppies... and Christmas, right? -Spike (from Doomed)

Thumbs up Thumbs down

Iasan W? ;-P

This is great news, Robert. Let me know if you need anything from me to help with getting this started. It had such promise in LOTW!

Ash

Thumbs up Thumbs down

Indeed - Jason, maybe you'd like to try a different character? I'll be adopting the same NPCs as before, with some few exceptions: the Clergy and the Mining/Lumber Owner(s) will be open for playing (if nobody leaps on these characters then I will be playing them once more).

Also the only help I really need is in getting players for the sim!  big_smile

~Robert

Thumbs up Thumbs down

ya we didnt even have time to get to the good juicy parts yet too

Come on! Vampires! Grrr! Nasty! Let's annihilate them, for justice, and for... the safety of puppies... and Christmas, right? -Spike (from Doomed)

Thumbs up +1 Thumbs down

Keep us informed as you go forwards with this!

Ash

Thumbs up −1 Thumbs down

Mmhmm, I'd like to rethink how we'll be starting this up a little bit, but in the next couple weeks I'd like to get this started.  smile

~Robert

Thumbs up Thumbs down

Thanks!

Ash

Thumbs up Thumbs down

I'm looking to open this Sim soon, but before doing so I'd just like those interested in joining to make themselves known! I'd like at least 5 other people before starting this up - you may post your interest below or e-mail direct!

Jason (Wypij), I'm already aware of your interest, so that makes 4 more! Who's in?  big_smile

~Robert

Thumbs up +1 Thumbs down

As awesome as this sounds, Robert, I am just about at capacity for the sims I am in already. Also, it seems like in order to do this justice I should probably know a lot more about Irish culture/history than I do. I'm already having a hard enough time trying to be British in two of my other sims. wink

If it were my only sim, I'm sure I'd have plenty of time to research correct responses and syntax, but unfortunately I don't. Which makes me sad. sad

Good luck, I'm sure it will be awesome!

Last edited by Jason Andersen (2011-02-15 01:38:16)

http://www.phoenix-rp.com/img/pips/4.png http://oi60.tinypic.com/5otabo.jpg

Thumbs up −1 Thumbs down

Thanks for your words of encouragement Jason! It also raises an important note which I should address here...

Nobody playing in this Sim needs to know anything about Irish Culture (although certainly some characters you might come up with might need to know these things). The majority of the people in this Sim (NPCs that is) are simply of Irish heritage but not actually from Ireland. People who have lived on the planet (as opposed to new arrivals) will know quite a bit about the town's culture and history, but there is little preservation of genuine Irish culture apart from the language (which isn't even remotely prevalent in their own culture, but they've been trying to increase its use).

~Robert

Thumbs up Thumbs down

Robert, any plans to bring good craic here anytime soon?

Silent

Sorry Silent, I seem to have missed your post!

But I've been thinking about this Sim the past couple weeks and I'd really like to get it started again. So who's interested in joining up?

~Robert

Thumbs up Thumbs down

Alas, it appears no-one is. Closing this thread.

Bumped due to further interest.

I'd be interested.

Misty

Awesome Misty! This looks even more like it's bouncing back.  big_smile

Make that 3, possibly 4 interested now.

~Robert

Thumbs up Thumbs down

Was interested before, but got sidetracked as usual and didn't get around to saying so!

Misty

I am still in Robs you know that.

Jay

Thumbs up Thumbs down

Let me know when you want this set up.

Silent

Yeah, I'd like to get just one more person before starting this up.

~Robert

Thumbs up Thumbs down

I'd be interested as well Robert.

-Mike

http://oi41.tinypic.com/2q2e0ig.jpg

Thumbs up Thumbs down

What's the latest on this sim's development?

Ash

Thumbs up Thumbs down

With 4 people (just noted Mike's interest) I'm ready to move ahead and open the sim.

Can I have a forum created please?  smile

~Robert

Thumbs up Thumbs down