Topic: Wing Commander?

Two questions:
1. Who here has played one of the Wing Commander games?
2. Who would be interested in a sim set in that universe?

Re: Wing Commander?

I player WC2 & 3. Loved the games. Movie was ehhh... ok. Certainly interesting to do a sim with it, but wouldn't Battlestar or a similar genre do better. Even a Rouge Squadron sim in the Star Wars section might be interesting. All that being said I like Fighter Ops a lot.

-Kevin

1. I haven't.
2. I probably wouldn't because of #1. Sorry.

http://www.phoenix-rp.com/img/pips/4.png http://oi60.tinypic.com/5otabo.jpg

Thumbs up Thumbs down

Likewise. I may have downloaded a Wing Commander game on XBLA or XBLIG, but haven't played it yet. I think a BSG sim or indeed a Rogues sim would do better.

Ash

Thumbs up Thumbs down

BSG! lol

Thumbs up Thumbs down

It's refreshing to know this is being considered, I do love Privateer and the Wing Commander games. You all should play it simply because these games were back in the golden days of acting in real-time cutscenes with some of the classic actors. John-Rhys Davies, Mark Hamill, and Malcolm MacDowell even.

Also, I actually liked the Wing Commander movie, if not simply for the sake of its attempt at bringing Wing Commander to the silver screen. Much like Dungeons & Dragons. Oh, and bit of trivia for those familiar with 'Starship Troopers'. Casper Van Dien actually has a bit part in WC. smile Oh and don't forget Biff from 'Back to the Future' as the lovable Todd "Maniac" Marshall.

~Aidan

Thumbs up Thumbs down

OMG I love John-Rhys Davies and Malcolm MacDowell, especially for their roles in Sliders and Fallout 3 respectively.

~Robert

http://i41.tinypic.com/2q2e0ig.png

Thumbs up Thumbs down

John Rhys Davies lived round the corner in the same village Ash and I used to live in. (Cheriton Fitzpaine in Devon.)

Except not at the same time we lived there, sadly.

Cool though.  tongue

Deborah

Thumbs up Thumbs down

WC series had great performances and was a major innovation in getting film and computer games to interface together. WC3 was quite a bit ahead of its time (not to mention it sucked a huge amount of storage space in its day). The movie was OK. I wish they had shown more of the Kilrathi. You never got much of a look at the enemy, and they are so incredibly cool. Also Freddy Prince Jr. as the lead bugged me, but yes Maniac was great to watch. I'm one of the few people that actually has a copy of it, solely because it brought the game to the screen. That being said I liked the filmed parts of WC3 better, even without bullet-time.

-Kevin

Also, WC1 has a complex branching storyline system that most games today don't even bother with...

Silent

Freddie Prinz Jr in any role == suck

Don't think he's had a single role that didn't. Not sure how he actually got cast in anything in the first place, to be honest.

http://www.phoenix-rp.com/img/pips/4.png http://oi60.tinypic.com/5otabo.jpg

Thumbs up Thumbs down

Changing the subject - GOG.com does most of the games (with DOSBox) for less than $10 each.

Silent

I use GOG.com!

Thumbs up Thumbs down

Going to email Wing Commander CIC and see if they can't advertise this.

Silent

News post on Wing Commander CIC.

I've played WC1, WC2, WC3, WC4: The Prize Of Freedom, and WC Prophecy. I've loved the game's storyline rather than the dogfights. It would be nice to have a sim based on this game due to the fact that the WC universe had a lot more to offer since the end of the series. Plus, the film also opened up new possibilities that were either hinted at or mentioned in the games. For example, the Pilgrims, the Kilrathi, the start of the Kilrathi-Human war, etc.

Last edited by Anna-Lyn Signey (2012-04-22 09:24:53)

Thumbs up Thumbs down

I'm glad people are interested. I'm looking at setting this on a Yorktown-class light carrier, possibly to be named TCS Phoenix.

As for which fighter we use, suggestions are welcome.

Silent

Hi guys, heard about your proposal from wcnews.com — I've played several Wing Commander games, and I like the sound of this idea.

Fighter choices I think will depend on what time period this sim is set in. Using a multi-role fighter (like the Thunderbolt from WC3/4) would be cool because it could allow several different missions and encounters to take place.

Thumbs up Thumbs down

Thanks for joining in Dangerous Cook. Thunderbolt would be a nice versitile fighter. Of course part of me likes totally cheating and flying an Excalibur.

Zuzutoo wrote:

Thanks for joining in Dangerous Cook. Thunderbolt would be a nice versitile fighter. Of course part of me likes totally cheating and flying an Excalibur.

The Excalibur is somewhat versatile as well (it can jump between systems and fly in atmosphere), though they did come in at the tail end of the war, so it might be tough to rationalize depending on what time period we are in.

Thumbs up Thumbs down

There's a nice-ish gap in the timeline during the time that Christopher Blair is on Caernavon (2657-2665), so we can generate a campaign or two during that period.

I was thinking of something in the Gemini Sector (the Privateer setting), but there's nothing to stop us adding to the map to Galactic North or South (if we do, cartography assistance would be appreciated).

OK, so here's the idea:

TCS Phoenix is a ship arisen from the flames. Six months ago, she narrowly survived a Kilrathi attack that cost her 75% of her air wing.

Having finished her work-up and repair, her group is sent to a small Kilrathi held system. A quick in-and-out operation to keep the enemy on its toes. Nice and simple.

It would be anything but.

Silent

Good time period. Its been an age since I played WC, but lets kick some kitty.

Love the concept! The time period does seem to be rather open. The Enigma sector is the most contested area during this time I'm pretty sure, though Gemini allows for the possibility of Retros/Pirates etc. entering the picture. Perhaps our strike into Kilrathi space gets delayed by some sort of Retro ambush?

The storyline allows for members of the ship to still be affected by the loss of so many friends and shipmates, plus the addition of new replacement pilots (with Yorktowns carrying 40 fighters, that equals to a lot of new personnel).

As far as choosing a fighter...we know that the Rapier is combat active during this time, and undergoing various modifications. The Thunderbolt or Sabre in some iteration could also be in service depending on the year we are fighting in.

Silent Hunter wrote:

There's a nice-ish gap in the timeline during the time that Christopher Blair is on Caernavon (2657-2665), so we can generate a campaign or two during that period.

I was thinking of something in the Gemini Sector (the Privateer setting), but there's nothing to stop us adding to the map to Galactic North or South (if we do, cartography assistance would be appreciated).

OK, so here's the idea:

TCS Phoenix is a ship arisen from the flames. Six months ago, she narrowly survived a Kilrathi attack that cost her 75% of her air wing.

Having finished her work-up and repair, her group is sent to a small Kilrathi held system. A quick in-and-out operation to keep the enemy on its toes. Nice and simple.

It would be anything but.

Silent

Thumbs up Thumbs down

DangerousCook wrote:

Hi guys, heard about your proposal from wcnews.com — I've played several Wing Commander games, and I like the sound of this idea.

Welcome to Phoenix, DangerousCook! Remind me to order take away when it's your turn on the rota to do dinner. ;-)

Other than having seen the Wing Commander games praised, I'm not too familiar with the setting, so I won't be joining the sim, but I wanted to welcome you to our community and thank you for joining.

Ash

Thumbs up Thumbs down

LOL — Thanks Ash, I appreciate the hospitality. Looking forward to some fun in the WC universe.

Thumbs up Thumbs down