Re: 2012 GC/TC Election results

I think the trouble was mostly from trying to fairly vote on the motion and the amendment on the same ballot - allowing people to express support for only the amended motion, only the unamended motion, the motion regardless of the amendment but showing a preference either way on said, or none - I suppose it's possible with 5 possible replies plus abstain for 6 (for amended motion, against unamended motion; for unamended motion, against amended motion; unequivocal for motion, for amendment; unequivocal for motion, against amendment; unequivocal against motion; abstain), but it would be much less hassle to run a vote on any amendments, then vote on the policy.

-Euan

Exactly my feelings Euan. With the response received about the vote for the 4 policies, the necessity to retain a yes/no/abstain or for/against/abstain, it's too complicated to balance amendments and the policies they amend in the same vote.

So then perhaps we should do a survey (not a "vote" - that we do after the survey) first to see which wording people prefer (which is uncomplicated) and then a vote to pass the preferred wording (also uncomplicated).

So in light of the confusion, while the election results are clear, the resolutions being obviously unclear to those who had voted, I'm invalidating the results from the resolutions.

For the purpose of keeping a record, here are the intended, invalidated results:

Member Policy 10 Motion - 66.7% Passing Votes - Motion Approved
Member Policy 10 Amendment - 58.3% Passing Votes - Amendment Approved

Admin Policy 12 Motion - 83.3% Passing Votes - Motion Approved
Admin Policy 12 Amendment - 58.3% Passing Votes - Amendment Approved

Admin Policy 13 Motion - 83.3% Passing Votes - Motion Approved
Admin Policy 13 Amendment - 50% Passing Votes - No Clear Majority (Would Not Be Passed)

Admin Policy 14 Motion - 90.9% Passing Votes - Motion Approved
Admin Policy 14 Amendment - 45.5% Passing Votes - Amendment Opposed

Robert Longtin
Elections and Voting Coordinator

http://i41.tinypic.com/2q2e0ig.png

Thumbs up Thumbs down

Thanks for this - I have posted this on the blog. I'm going to lock this thread and open a new one for discussing the issues that have arisen.

GC